My Sansa isn't responding to touch

My sansa’s touch pad isn’t working. I can turn it on and off and I can raise the volume, but I cannot press play, pause, down, up, left, right or back. I’m really frustrated. Can anybody help me?!

The first thing I’d try is to replace the firmware.

Look at Settings/Info to see what version your hardware is–1.x or 2.x–and then go to this thread:

Firmware

Follow the manual instructions–this is the last update, so just go to the All Regions links for your versions and install it manually. Don’t install the Updater.

If that doesn’t work, there’s probably a physical problem with the wheel. Try putting some rubbing alcohol (not water) on a Q-tip and cleaning it a bit. If you have a can of compressed air for cleaning computer keyboards, you can also try blowing a little bit of that in there. 

Is there any other way to find out what my hardware is? Because I can’t access my settings. I can’t do anything with my Sansa except turn it on and turn it off. The keypad thing will not work.

Connect it and search for version.sdk. Open it with a text editor, like Wordpad, and you’ll see the version number.