Music files very big

I ripped 4 albums to Windows Media Player. I then created a playlist for each album. I synced the albums to my Sansa Fuze 4 GB. I have 82 songs which used 3750 MB. What did I do wrong? When I scroll through the different categories, like artists, songs, etc, there are different lists according to categories. Are the songs saved in multiple places on my player?

Thanks, Kay

No, only one copy of the song is saved. The different categories are from ID3 tags, electronic labels in the files, all being read and categorized from the one copy of the song.

But the songs should not be that big. WMP probably also put copies on your computer–you can look in its Settings to see where it’s storing them, find that folder on your computer and see how large the songs are there.

Or you could  connect the player, open Windows Explorer (Computer or My Computer) and look at the individual songs. Look for a music folder, or search the unit for .mp3 files or .wma files, and right-click for Properties.  Typically an mp3 is about 1MB or 1.5MB per minute of music. 

It’s possible that your Windows Media Player was set to rip to .wav instead of .mp3. Those would be much larger files–about 10MB per minute. You should look at Settings in Windows Media Player and choose mp3 at 320 kbps. Then rip again to mp3 and put the smaller files on the player.

But first, take a look at some individual songs, and report back here what you find in Properties. Or you can examine the files with the free program Mediainfo.  http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

How about using Rockbox instead. I think that will give you different results.

How about getting a clue about what you’re talking about before you post nonsense.

Rockbox will report the same file sizes as the original firmware.

It’s possible the OP ripped the songs to .wav–which can be 10 times largers than mp3 files–and that’s why they’re so big. Changing the Rip settings in WMP to mp3 at 320 kpbs, getting rid of the old files and ripping again  would help.

@black_rectangle wrote:

_ How about getting a clue about what you’re talking about before you post nonsense. _

If you ripped a CD without specifying a file format, you might have ended up with uncompressed (large) WAV audio files. If this be the case, there is a myriad of excellent freeware for converting the files to smaller MP3 files that most players support. One of my favorites is XMediaRecode, but you will need to learn a little about “bitrate.”

I use “Fairstars CD Ripper” that I prefer to WMP. Another option is to use the free but fabulous Audacity studio that will let you edit your music, such as EQ, trim long leaders, even compress (louden) weak volumes, all without distortion. There is a simple step-by-step tutorial for Audacity that will give you all the control over audio files, even create surround sound or stereo from mono recordings. Just Google for “Audacity101.” Good luck.

I heart Audacity.

One of the greatest gits from the open-source people.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

You can pay hundreds of dollars for a good audio editor or you can work around the very few quirks in Audacity. Good for them.