MicroSD/SDHC card

Okay, sorry if this question has already been answered but I couldn’t find a direct one in the forum.  I just bought a 2G Sansa Fuse.  User manual says MicroSD/SDHC “card slot supports additional 4GB and higher capacities.”  I’m shopping for new cards and want to know my limitations.  Just how big of a card can I use?  Does it matter if it is MicroSD or SDHC?  Please excuse my ignorance and please speak in simple terms.  I’m new to Mp3 players and to portable memory in general. 

Thanks. 

I recently bought an 8 gb micro sdhc card and put it in my fuze.  My computer recognized the card without having to do anything other than plug my fuze in.  I had no issues in MSC or MTP.

I bought a card from Kingston, and after I had already ordered it online and it was in the mail, I saw that some people were having problems getting some Kingston cards to work with the Fuzes.  I had no problems though with mine though.  I don’t know if maybe it was just certain Kingstons that had problems, or if the latest firmware for the fuze fixed the problem before I tried it.

Okay, that’s sort of helpful.  Do you think a 16 G would work?  Also, what’s “MSC” and “MTP”?

@webtoe wrote:
Okay, that’s sort of helpful.  Do you think a 16 G would work?  Also, what’s “MSC” and “MTP”?

Ok this is what you need to know. The Fuze will support all SD and SDHC cards currently on the market, From below 1 gig upto the soon tp be released 32 gig. The catch is, if you want to place video on the card and play is you need to avoide Kingston brand cards as there are known compatablility issues. 

MSC and MTP are USB modes in which the Player will connect to your PC. MSC stands for Mass Storage Class, this is when your computer recognizes your device like it would a flash drive. It is also the recomended USB mode, for doing Drag and Drop (Copy and Paste) media transfers. MTP stands for Media Transfer Protocol, which is used with most media Management Programs like Windows Media Player, and Rhapsody, this is also the only USB mode which will support transfering Licenses for DRM Protected Music from Subscription Services, like Rhapsody.

IMPORTANT NOTE: It is highly recomended that you pick one mode and Stick with it. If you transfer files in one mode and then switch and reconnect to the PC it often looks like your Files are gone when they are not. You can only see files on the player if you are connected in the same mode they were transfered in. For instance I use MSC, If I switch to MTP I cannot see my files.

There is a Third USB mode called AUTO-Detect, which many of us on here call Auto-Defect. Mainly because if you do choose to use this mode and you try to connect to mulitple PC’s it can appear like your files are gone when they arnt.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-11-2009 02:34 PM

@jehr wrote:

I recently bought an 8 gb micro sdhc card and put it in my fuze.  My computer recognized the card without having to do anything other than plug my fuze in.  I had no issues in MSC or MTP.

I bought a card from Kingston, and after I had already ordered it online and it was in the mail, I saw that some people were having problems getting some Kingston cards to work with the Fuzes.  I had no problems though with mine though.  I don’t know if maybe it was just certain Kingstons that had problems, or if the latest firmware for the fuze fixed the problem before I tried it.

jehr: The kingston issue is mostly with video playback. They seem to work fine with muisc and general storage.

Thanks so much!  This is very helpful in many respects, right down to helping me resist the temptation to go cheap and buy the off brand card!

@webtoe wrote:
Thanks so much!  This is very helpful in many respects, right down to helping me resist the temptation to go cheap and buy the off brand card!

For the Record( And I am not supporting them in any way) Kingston is not an off brand, they are in many respects SanDisks Top competition. It is just that there are known compatability issues with their card and Video playback. I have a Kingston card in my Sansa Connect and it holds my podcasts and plays them just fine, Its just not good for video.

Gotcha.  Thanks for the clarification and for setting the record straight.  Maybe I won’t rule out saving a few bucks.

MM