MTP - MSC, WMP, Winamp, drag and drop nothing works for me to create playlists!!!

Hi,

Was very excited to buy this player 8GB Sansa Fuze and now I am totally frustrated with it.

I have 2000 songs and I put them onto the player via drag and drop (player was still in factory settings). I had nicely organized my songs in folders since the ID3 tags are not all good and I do not want to sit and edit 2000 tags.

Obviously the player does not have capability to browse folders so I started looking into creating playlists, and it hass been nothing but frustration ever since.

I have read almost all the threads about how to do this and tried MTP and MSC modes and everything. Nothing works.

Windows Media Player 11 and Winamp still no sucess.

Here is what I want to do:

1. Create playlists for each folder I added to the “Music” Folder on the Fuze using the files on the Fuze and not my computer since the music I loaded was on different media (External Hard Disk / CD’s/ etc).

2. Be able to browse to these playlists and play whichever I want to.

I am not a computer geek but I am not a starter either. So all kinds of solutions welcome.

Please help me. I really feel like throwing out the player rather than having to scroll through 2000 songs or changing their ID3 tags.

Ah, you fed the Lil Monsta first.  This is OK, but the Fuze may have issues finding the files if they aren’t properly tagged with ID3v2.3 ISO-8559-1 tags.

Do the music files show up properly while navigating on the device?

The Fuze recognizes a wide variety of bitrates, as long as the files are mp3 or wma format.

What you’ll need to do is take the folders you’ve created, and modify the ID3 field data as desired, to group the files if you wish.  If the files are grouped in folders, you can extract the files (or pull them from the same source if available on your PC) and work on them with MP3Tag , available free for download.

I haven’t tried this, but it may be possible to modify the files on the device, then save them back on the Fuze, and delete the file mtable.sys in the root directory before exiting and disconnecting the Fuze. What I am hoping will happen is that the original ID3 tag database will be rebuilt using your edited tags.

I mention this workaround, since you’ve already loaded 2000 files on the device.

The sticking issue is the “default mode” used when you loaded your music.  The Fuze will default to MTP mode out-of-the-box, unless your operating system data queued the Sansa to open a communication session in MSC mode, in Auto Detect.

The likelihood is strongest that, since you mention WiMP11, MTP is the mode of choice.  The mtable.sys file in the root directory isn’t seen in MTP mode.

Have you tried synchronizing your Fuze with WiMP11?  The synchronization process can work in reverse, pulling songs from the device into your media player’s library.  Once there, you can use the “advanced tag editor” to correct the tags, but MP3Tag can work on whole batches of similar files for you, or it can even take your whole collection of, say, ID3v2 tags and rewrite them all as 2.3 with the correct character set.

WiMP can allow you to generate playlists on the PC and send the .pla playlist file over to your Sansa. (No, the files are NOT duplicated in a teeny .pla file, it’s only a list of files!)

Lastly, while connected in MTP mode, navigate to the Music folder.  You can generate playlists at will, especially while they are already on the device, using Windows Explorer in MTP mode. Choose a desired file, right-clicking Create Playlist.  Rename this playlist as desired, and open it.  Now, drag and drop all of your desired titles into this list box.  Please note!  You aren’t actually dragging the files into the list, just the TITLES are going in there- how cool is that!

Two tricks with batches of files:  If you have a list, holding the [shift] key down will allow you to pull every file between two clicks as a group, or holding [Ctrl] will allow you to group each individual file clicked until [ctrl] is released.  then, drag one of the selected files to the playlist, and all selected files will follow.

I prefer to drag these new playlists into the Playlist folder, making them easier to locate later, versus searching the multitudes of files in the Music folder.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks a lot Bob for your response.

I had tried this for past 3 days and it did not work  (WMP 10) but today after downloading Windows Media Player 11 somehow something changed.

MTP mode, navigate to the Music folder –> generate playlists by right-clicking & Create Playlist worked for me finally

Also another thing I notice is now I can drag and drop songs from one folder to another on the device itself. I was unable to do that before!!

Let me play around with this some more and see what else I discover.

I was ready to scream. I tried to create playlists for my Fuze with WMA 11 - Winamp, Playlist Creator and anything else I could come up with. I couldn’t get anything to work. I could create the lists, but there would never be any tunes in them on the player. Then I read this thread.

Drag & Drop? Right click? Ridiculously simple. Couldn’t be. Impossible. Wayyyyy to easy.

It worked!!! Now I’m the happiest Fuze owner in America.

Thank you!

Thanks!  That is what I needed!

If you have your files organized on the player, use Winamp to create your playlists from the files stored there, then store the playlist in the same folder where the files are located. Works for me. The files can even be in a subfolder of the one where the playlist is located.

This is the closest thread I could find relating to my problem. New FUZE owner, new to mp3.

Problem…When I try to sync after drag&drop from a downloaded [cd audiobook, in this case] file, it loads in reverse order into my fuse. I can always D&D in reverse, but is there anyway to correct this so I can D&D entire sections rather then just one line at a time?

I hope asking you this way isn’t circumventing any protocol in the forum!   

@caseman wrote:

This is the closest thread I could find relating to my problem. New FUZE owner, new to mp3.

Problem…When I try to sync after drag&drop from a downloaded [cd audiobook, in this case] file, it loads in reverse order into my fuse. I can always D&D in reverse, but is there anyway to correct this so I can D&D entire sections rather then just one line at a time?

I hope asking you this way isn’t circumventing any protocol in the forum!   

In most cases Editing your tags helps. I loaded an Audiobook on my Fuze yesterday (I dont wanna listen to it but wanted to test it.) In order to get it right, I wound up taging chapter 1 as part A, (Granted less than 26 Chapters) That helped me.

But when I D&D, say #1to#19, or A to S, from the right side to the left as a block, they load into my fuse 1 then 2etc., until #19 is reached…but for playback in the fuze it then starts at #19…Can’t read a book in that order! But if I move them singularly, backwards from #19 right side top, to #1,right side bottem, it loads in the correct order! Sorry if I’m not very clear on this.  

Your sure you put it in the audiobook folder? I guess you could try and label 19 as A and then 18 as B, so you would be starting with S and working your way back. But I did not have this issue. Do you have the latest firmware.

I just bought this yesterday, but I’m sure that’s no guarantee.

@caseman wrote:
I just bought this yesterday, but I’m sure that’s no guarantee.

Make sure you Upgrade regardless of when you bought it. You may not need it so Check to see what one you have, and then compare it to the Firmware updates Sticky at the top of the Fuze Forum.

I’ll do that. thanks!