Long delay when swapping memory cards

@ewelot wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@ron_marz wrote:
At the moment I have two 4-GB cards with about 4,000 files on each, on my way to filling a third.  Refresh takes 7-8 minutes every time I swap.

4,000 on a 4 GB card? No wonder it takes longer than it does for me. I have 1,287 on an 8GB card, and another 587 on my 4GB internal, with roughly 200 MB free on each. You must use a much smaller bitrate than I do. The refresh seems to be more related to how many files, than how big they are. You could buy a 16GB card though, and have room for all of them maybe…it’s a thought, anyways. :smiley:

Indeed, the refresh time should depend on the number of files ONLY. This is because only the file headers must be read and processed. The audio data itself must not be touched at all.

IMHO the algorithm used to refresh the database is not as clever as it could be. E.g. if you fill up the Fuze with untagged mp3 files or with wav files only - which is a tag-free format per se - then there is no gain in database refresh time at all. With the growing demand for larger storage (internal/external) the need for faster refresh time comes into first place. Hopefully SanDisk is aware of that.

Another useful (experts) option yet to be implemented would be to disable the tag based browsing and stick with folder navigation only. This way the database is not used and must not be refreshed at all and you would have instant access to your music files! I know that this is probably not the way most users prefer to select their music but could help others which might have a strong need for >10000 files. But I’m pretty sure that it is not me in the next few years …

Message Edited by ewelot on 06-17-2009 01:29 PM

Aarrgh!  There was a typo in my earlier post (which was made right before bedtime and not proofread).  It should have said that I have two 8-GB cards (not 4-GB cards) with 4,000 files on each.  My apologies.