Lack of music folder on external memory?

I’ve also seen all the nasty things you describe when using MTP mode.

MTP is supposed to hide the details of the underlying filesystem from the host PC, so what Windows Explorer ‘sees’ as folders and files are just objects in the MTP protocol exchange between the player and the PC.

The player is supposed to be able to store the actual tracks and album and folder associations in whatever way suits it - the details are hidden behind MTP. All the host PC sees are protocol objects, generated on request, using info stored on the player,

but which is not directly visible. I think this is why MTP transferred tracks (in internal memory) are not visible in MSC mode - the player stores them in its own (non-FAT) way.

But for the  uSD card, this ‘file system hiding’ is broken - the user can do an end-run round MTP and plug the uSD directly into a

PC, and it must look like a disk drive with a FAT filesystem, using FAT file and directory names, and the tracks must be visible.

This means that the when you transfer (via MTP) a directory/track hierarchy to the Fuze uSD, the Fuze must generate a FAT filesystem names and directory structures from the MTP objects. 

I think the final step is broken in the Fuze (or at least cracked). It does not always seem to be able to map MTP objects and operations to FAT filesystem elements and operations.

I tend to use MSC mode now, and it all seems to work much more reliably.

It’s almost as if the underlying Austria MicroSytems chipset was designed to work as an MSC/UMS device, and MTP was trowelled on afterwards because it had to be supported in the marketplace…

Message Edited by daytona955 on 01-29-2009 12:47 AM