Lack of FUZE accessories; I would not buy it again

When I bought my Fuze I was just interested in a 4gb MP3 player at a good price for music, audiobooks and podcasts.  So I got a Fuze and I’m glad I did. 

I can connect my Fuze to any computer and be up and running for downaloads.  Love that.  Use it at home and work without wondering where the software goes on the computer (unlike iPods).

And then I found out that there’s a place for more memory!  I love that.  And since I accidentally ordered 2 of the 4gb, I will use one of those exclusively for Christmas music and then I don’t have to load and delete the music (and whatever else I put on there) after Christmas.

And I found I can use it on my car radio with a cassette adaptor.  And it works with my little speaker pillow I had for my cd player (and matches).

So I’m very happy with it.

If I ever wanted accessories, I would have looked at what accessories were available (I had saw a ton at the store before I bought one as I was just looking around) and then decide on a player (told a coworker that since some had changable covers to match outfits or whatever).  But that’s not what I wanted in a portable player.

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 08-25-2008 10:59 AM

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 08-25-2008 11:00 AM

@polloloco wrote:

What IS sad is that a Sansa rep has confirmed that line out could be enabled to a cable via firmware update -

Sansafix must be a politician. Here he says it can’t be done via firmware; it’s a hardware issue.

Then he flip-flops here and says, “Well, maybe if you do this & this.” Basically, he saying it might be possible, but it ain’t gonna happen.

No, that’s not a flip flop, that’s an honest engineer speaking.

A pull-up signal is an engineering reference to a voltage present on a signal or sensing line.  This voltage can be the 3.7v battery voltage, or in some cases, the device could want the 5v USB line voltage.  To have the requisite 3.7v requires a source at one of the other dock pins. 

This voltage may have a current limitation, requiring a resistor to limit the current.  In some cases, a diode is required to isolate the connection.

Depending upon the design, some devices even “announce” their presence via setting a control bit high or low, or a series of data bits is sent, like the case with the SanDisk remote control / dock.

Merely connecting a passive cable to the 30-pin port may not provide the requisite signal.  Say there is no pin available with the 3.7v signal.  Then, it is up to you to provide a proper signal voltage taken from the available USB cable (if it has an adaptor on the end), or a separate battery.   This voltage must be voltage and current limited.

So, Sansafix is telling you that it’s possible, but it requires more than a paper clip to make it happen.  He’s telling you that accessing the signal is possible, but it takes more than an off-the shelf cable that was made for the needs of the View, a different device, with an NTSC output on its dock pins.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

@tapeworm wrote:

Sansafix must be a politician. Here he says it can’t be done via firmware; it’s a hardware issue.

Then he flip-flops here and says, “Well, maybe if you do this & this.” Basically, he saying it might be possible, but it ain’t gonna happen.

I think he meant that there’s nothing you can do in the FW to make the Fuze automatically enable the line-out based on the cable being connected.  However, it could be manually enabled via FW with a new switch in the settings menu.

I really hope Sandisk recconsiders the possibility of adding a manual switch.  It’s obvious from the number of threads and posts on this topic that this is a highly desired feature.  I’m sure something could be done in the UI to make users aware of the current mode and avoid unnecessary support calls.  For example, an icon indicating the mode at the top of the screen.  You could also add some text to the popup that appears when you adjust the volume to make it clear which output is enabled.

I have a IPOD, SONY, and I just purchased the Fuze.  I said the same thing after searching several stores for items.  I found this store online, which is cool, because I do most of my shopping online anyways.  I love my 8GB Fuze!!!  http://www.daydeal.com/home.php?cat=2335

Here’s the link for a list of Sansa Fuze Accessories

http://www.daydeal.com/home.php?cat=3339

@well_wisher wrote:

Other than two styles of cases and the data cables, this is all just generic stuff.

@well_wisher wrote:

Thanks for the link.

@ bdb wrote:

Other than two styles of cases and the data cables, this is all just generic stuff.

True, but there are a lot of cable styles to choose from.  And at decent prices.

I went to the Griffin Technology website today and they’re listing the Power Dock as a new product that is currently available for $49.99 up. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerdock  WHERE did you find the power dock for $15??? I’d like to get some of them. Thank you.

@sarainelkins wrote:
I went to the Griffin Technology website today and they’re listing the Power Dock as a new product that is currently available for $49.99 up. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerdock  WHERE did you find the power dock for $15??? I’d like to get some of them. Thank you.

That link is for the iPod version of the PowerDock.   If you go to the Sansa section, you’ll notice there is no PowerDock listed anymore.  You have to go to the “Refurbished & Deals” section to find it.

Just give it some time. The fuze only came out in March, it’s still new! Accessories will pop up one by one. And even if there aren’t many, I wouldn’t take mine back because of that!

Message Edited by gabe565 on 09-02-2008 10:08 PM

Here’s the link for the sansa

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/docksansa

And a search for Sansa in the main screen brought this

http://www.griffintechnology.com/search?q=sansa

Message Edited by Dalaug234 on 09-03-2008 10:54 AM

@gabe565 wrote:
Just give it some time. The fuze only came out in March, it’s still new! Accessories will pop up one by one. And even if there aren’t many, I wouldn’t take mine back because of that!

The e-series has been around for quite awhile and there aren’t a lot of accessories for that, either. It all comes down to making informed decisions. If you’re not going to get an iPod, you must expect to have few accessories. Its the same way with Creative, Zune, anything but iPod.

Its still a great little player!

There are plenty of accessories.  Maybe not specifically say “Fuze” or “SanDisk” on them.

I have

*pillow speaker… plugs into the earbug and isn’t loud, but works fine

*2 set of fashion speakers, does not take batteries works through earbud… again not loud but works for me

*cassette adaptor to listen in my car

*car charger

*ac charger

*micro memory cards, 3 of these (one 2gb and two 4gb)

*silicon cover

*arm band (came with cover)

*micro memory cards zipper case (not really big enough, you’re suppose to take the cards out of the plastic cover they come in, but I like those to write on them so I know what’s on the card)

Just bouth

*Griffin Docking Station…

Now I need more money on my credit card for other accessories :wink:

The Fuze is a good player, but a few things about it annoy me.

1)Lack of a choice of browsing by folders or ID3 tags. ID3 tags aren’t so bad for organizing music, but are horrible to use  for  navigating through many podcasts.

1. A proprietary connector and proprietary cable. UGH!

2. The headphone plug must be removed from the player to press the release button on the cable plug to remove the cable from the player. On other players I have had, I never needed to disconnect the headphones to connect or disconnect the USB cable.

Still,you’ve got to admit,that ain’t much to complain about…

Skinjob,

I have a question for you?

Will the Griffin dock you mention work with the Fuze? Thanks! George

My comment on the subject! 

So far My wife and I are 110% happy with the unit I don’t think you can get a better sounding player for any price! Accessories well we just picked up some silicon skins for ours. Yes a third party maker but fit is 100% perfect in every way…  Also picked up a wall charger in Walmart that will charge two players at the same time…If Sandisk was smart I agree they should start making accessories for the unit because there are enough third party places making money on there product… Wife has the 4 GB unit I have the 8GB took me all of 5 mins to decided how awesome her’s was *sounded* and order one for myself!   George

@george_w wrote:

Skinjob,

I have a question for you?

Will the Griffin dock you mention work with the Fuze? Thanks! George

I haven’t used it myself, but many on this forum have and it seems to work well.  I think the only real complaint is that the dock does not have a power supply.  You have to have it plugged into a USB port to get power.  So if you want to use it without a computer, you need to have a USB wall adapter.

Hey, Sounds like a deal! Thank you!!  George

That’s why I got the Griffin Docking Station.  I ended up getting a wall charger and they mentioned that it can work with a wall charger.  My laptop is so old it only charged my fuze the first time and couldn’t one looong weekend from work so I had to pick up something and luckily found something.

I agree SanDisk should consider getting in the accessory business.