Just did the firmware up date and have a question

That’s what’s illogical. You don’t have to do anything with the files on the card sometimes. Just format the unit first and it may start reading the card again. However, that’s when the card completely crashes the unit–white screen, not slow refresh.

The slow refresh suggests that the Fuze is trying–and trying and trying–to read some kind of tag it doesn’t quite understand. I would suggest taking the most recent albums off the card and trying again. If that helps, then fix the offending albums by running them through mp3tag.

In fact, I I run every album through mp3tag before it goes on the Fuze.  When installing, let it add itself to context menus (checkbox while installing). When you first run it, Set Tools/Options/Tags/Mpegs to Write ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 .  Right-click on the album folder, open it with mp3tag and it will display the files. Make sure they are in playing order to to bottom (click the Track Number heading if they’re not), go to Tools/Autonumbering Wizard and choose Leading Zeroes. This will put the track numbers, 01, 02, 03, etc., which assures the Fuze will play them in the right order, and it saves them (since you told it to) as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1, which is its preferred format and Windows character encoding.

It does take a while for it to digest 16GB of titles. But that’s 2-3 minutes, not 25, unless you have thousands of little files.