Is there a way to delete recordings without "special operations"?

Is there a way to properly just “cut” the files (in Windows Explorer)  from the Fuze when in MSC mode?

I know there are various work-arounds to deal with the “ghost” files but I’d like to know if there is an officially recognized proper approach to this.

Thanks.

Blackdog,

Do you mean… this ghost?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Uh, what ghost files?

You delete a file in Explorer in MSC mode, it’s gone.

You need to use Windows Media Player to get rid of files sent over in MTP mode. 

If it’s still in the database but not on the Fuze, use MSC mode to delete mtable.sys from the Fuze root directory and it rebuilds the database when it reboots.

If you have corrupt files that won’t delete, run ChkDsk.

@neutron_bob wrote:

Blackdog,

Do you mean… this ghost?

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Different machine, I believe.

I went to see them on that tour. Sting would stomp on this pedal, and it would fire up some crazy loud bass that made our clothes shake even up in the bleacher seats. It was quite an experience being buffetted by sound (particularly in the state we were in:wink:).

@black_rectangle wrote:

Uh, what ghost files?

You delete a file in Explorer in MSC mode, it’s gone.

You need to use Windows Media Player to get rid of files sent over in MTP mode. 

If it’s still in the database but not on the Fuze, use MSC mode to delete mtable.sys from the Fuze root directory and it rebuilds the database when it reboots.

If you have corrupt files that won’t delete, run ChkDsk.

No, it doesn’t work that way, unfortunately. Recordings are handled different from other audio files. Please have a look at this post

Ah, I see, very bizarre. At least there’s a workaround.

" …You delete a file in Explorer in MSC mode, it’s gone…"

Nope.  Even in MSC mode (which I use all the time) The data is actually gone but the file titles remain.

The only thing I have found that works 100% is to one-by-one delete the files using the Fuze menus.  NOT with Windows on the PC.  However this is a PITA and is slow!

I did check the post that was mentioned.  I checked in on that a few months ago.  I don’t really understand it thought.  Delete the files first and then add the dummies?  then delete them?  I’m sorry, I ahve atwo-year-old and my brain has turned to mush.  The directions just don’t make complete sense to me.

Is there a way to just MOVE the files to the PC and have no ghosts left?  Of is it absolutely required to go thru some rigamarole to eliminate the ghosts?  That’s really my question.

This seems like a really annoying software bug that not many people seem to care about.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

" …You delete a file in Explorer in MSC mode, it’s gone…"

Nope.  Even in MSC mode (which I use all the time) The data is actually gone but the file titles remain.

The only thing I have found that works 100% is to one-by-one delete the files using the Fuze menus.  NOT with Windows on the PC.  However this is a PITA and is slow!

I did check the post that was mentioned.  I checked in on that a few months ago.  I don’t really understand it thought.  Delete the files first and then add the dummies?  then delete them?  I’m sorry, I ahve atwo-year-old and my brain has turned to mush.  The directions just don’t make complete sense to me.

Is there a way to just MOVE the files to the PC and have no ghosts left?  Of is it absolutely required to go thru some rigamarole to eliminate the ghosts?  That’s really my question.

This seems like a really annoying software bug that not many people seem to care about.

You are right, the one-by-one deletion of files from the Fuze menues seems to be the only “supported” method. The post I refered to is just for lazy people (as you and me and a few others) thinking of some other way to get rid of the files by simply deleting them via PC. The Fuze doesn’t honour this and possibly other unauthorized interactions with recordings leaving you with garbage. And the only way of cleaning things up is the workaround I refered to. I hope the firmware developer will provide a better way to handle recordings in the future.

blackdog-sansa, I apologize for my rather bad english. Maybe this has caused some additional confusion …