Is My Fuze Still Able to Be RMAd?

I’m pretty sure this is the right forum, sorry if it isn’t.

So, my Fuze has a fuzzy play/plause button so I’m thinking after our last vacation of the summer I’ll get it RMA’d. (The second time… First was for dust under the screen.) Except, I have one small problem: After normal use my serial number half wore off. I just tried covering it with clear scotch tape and a hair got under it so I was going to take it off and put it back on and more peeled off. XD You can still make out the first four digits no problem, but the fifth is harder to make out and after that it’s totally impossible to tell. I saved the serial number in a .txt file so I still know it, but is it still able to be RMAd? It has a design flaw, a sketchy button, but I’m afraid they won’t take it because of the serial no. coming off, which is really also a design flaw because I did nothing to it. (Until the tape, which also is one because it shouldn’t come off so easily.)

Thanks.

When did you buy the first one? Your warranty does not ‘reset’ if you get a replacement so the length of time goes from when you got the original one. Example: You bought your first Fuze in January, 2010. You got it replaced in October 2011 under warranty. The replacement one is only warranted through December 2011 (1 year warranty unless you’re in EU where it is 2 years), not until October 2012 as you might think.

Most warranties are like this. This protects the company against unscrupulous people taking advantage of the warranty and intentionally breaking, or putting in a claim shortly before the warranty period expires in order to get a new product for free every year.

Less than a year ago. I got it for Christmas, I’m pretty sure it was bought in December. I know I still have my warranty though. So is that like the only requirement really? (Aside from accidental damage.) Will they still accept it?

@baltowolf wrote:

Less than a year ago. I got it for Christmas, I’m pretty sure it was bought in December. I know I still have my warranty though. So is that like the only requirement really? (Aside from accidental damage.) Will they still accept it?

I wouldn’t know. But SanDisk would. Give 'em a call at the phone # for your area found here and see.

You can retrieve the electronic version of the serial number by setting your player to MTP mode (Settings > System Settings > USB mode), connecting to your computer and right-clicking on the player’s icon and selecting Properties. If you normally use MSC mode though, be sure to reset the USB mode after you disconnect.

Hmm, that ones an exceedingly different serial number…  Well, thanks for the help. Looks like I’m just gonna have to ask when I try to get it RMAd. Thanks though. I’m fairly confident since I read a post on here of someone complaining about how long it would take to get theirs RMAd and Sandisk’s guy said it was because the serial number was scratched off, so since mine came off on it’s own and is still partially there I’m more confident. Thanks again.

Update us on this balto. There should be another way of checking for the serial number but best of luck. 

I don’t think there is, may be inside it…though unlikely

Kept thinking to post again about it but forgot and just realized I should. :stuck_out_tongue: I mentioned it had no serial number and never had any response to that in the e-mails, had a pretty hassle-free e-mail correspondence before getting the RMA # because it was a mechanical problem (AKA nothing for me to do) so they didn’t even have me trouble shoot it or anything. They just game an RMA # after the usual questions about abuse and misuse and I sent it in, no questions asked, then got the other one a week later. I was prepared to have to argue about a drop that occurred long before the problem, since I dropped it on wood once or twice a while back but they didn’t even say anything about that. It would be a classic tech support thing to do, but they didn’t. Needless to say, Sandisk has great support. It looks like as long as it’s in warranty and a problem with the device they’ll fix it.

I’m also not even sure if it’s the same one or not. It has the same serial number but it’s actually ON the player now. :stuck_out_tongue: No “R” or anything indicating it was refurbished, so I don’t know.