Is AAC format supported in Sansa fuse?

Hello gang I am new to these Sansa fuse forums and I was wondering does the fuse support the AAC format? I ask this because recently purchased DRM free music tracks from itunes music store, so after the download I transferred the tracks to the fuse. I unplugged the player from the transfer cable and let the player do its thing and to my dissappointment the player did not see my purchased tracks. I then did some research in the sansa support page and found a spread sheet with the supported audio codecs for the fuse and it has AAC as being supported on the fuse. What has everyone’s experience with this? I did find a workaround for this problem which was to convert the purchased tracks to mp3 format in itunes, but that solution is not ideal for dealing with albums. 

my particulars

Running on Macbook Pro 

OSX 10.5.6

Sansa fuse 4GB Blue model

usb mode MSC

@techieq wrote:

Hello gang I am new to these Sansa fuse forums and I was wondering does the fuse support the AAC format? I ask this because recently purchased DRM free music tracks from itunes music store, so after the download I transferred the tracks to the fuse. I unplugged the player from the transfer cable and let the player do its thing and to my dissappointment the player did not see my purchased tracks. I then did some research in the sansa support page and found a spread sheet with the supported audio codecs for the fuse and it has AAC as being supported on the fuse. What has everyone’s experience with this? I did find a workaround for this problem which was to convert the purchased tracks to mp3 format in itunes, but that solution is not ideal for dealing with albums. 

my particulars

Running on Macbook Pro 

OSX 10.5.6

Sansa fuse 4GB Blue model

usb mode MSC

It is not supported on the Fuze, or the Clip. I don’t know if it will be in the future or not.

The only player that I see AAC (non-DRM) support listed under is the Sansa View.  Though the Fuze (and Clip) are up to the task, I haven’t heard of any plans to add AAC capability to these devices.

Currently, the best option is to have iTunes convert to MP3.

Who knows if this capability will be added in the future?  Not I, for one.  I have know idea of the goings on up in Mount Olympus, where the Sansa gods chill, earbuds on, in clean togas, drinking their ambrosia.  See? Everything has gone digital, I tell you!

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I’ve been pushing for AAC support for quite awhile now - it only makes sense that the Fuze should be compatible with the largest music store in America (maybe the world). The Sansa people on this forum have been extremely quiet about it though, which generally means they’re not interested.

@bdb wrote:
I’ve been pushing for AAC support for quite awhile now - it only makes sense that the Fuze should be compatible with the largest music store in America (maybe the world). The Sansa people on this forum have been extremely quiet about it though, which generally means they’re not interested.

It could be an issue of cost or permissions. I dont know what the ACC codec costs in terms of licnesing, but that could play a role, and Apple my very well be restricting ACC in the way they work as well. Who knows. I know my connect will play ACC, not that I have them or would ever use Itunes for anything other than podcasts but still.

What I don’t get is that on ther excel spread sheet of all the audio codecs they support that the fuse has AAC as being supported. Maybe that they made a boo boo on that cell to yes instead of no. :wink:

Apple may be adding things to the AAC container, but its not restricting them AFAIK. My car, DVD player…all sorts of things (other than the Fuze) play AAC, and I’ve never had a problem playing stuff from iTunes.

Which spreadsheet is that?  The current listing of specifications is correct; it does not show AAC / M4A as the format is often described.

The datasheet for the processor (AS3525) does show the capability for AAC, but not on the SanDisk Sansa side (published specifications).  It may be possible to support M4A, but I’d venture that the proprietary M4P DRM variant may be a different issue entirely.

I have tried, and ran really fast, away from iTunes.  Granted, it may have improved over the years, but it isn’t my cup of tea.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting info about the processor.

Actually iTunes hasn’t improved over the years. Its gotten more bloated and slow. They always give away a song a week, and they used to give away really good music, the stuff that was played on Sounds Eclectic; now its just cheap imitations of radio pop. In the process, they became the biggest music reseller. Go figure.

The only thing that has improved is that they’re supposedly getting rid of the DRM (that’s proprietary, so of course the Fuze could never play it). They said it’d all be DRM-free by April 1. That’s not far away, and I can find all sorts of music that is DRMed…including some stuff released after their announcement. I’ve been exposed to Apple enough to know better than to trust them.

neutron bob

it is the xls file on the sansa fuze faq support page under the question.

My Sansa fuze won’t play songs

under that question there is a link to the xls file with the codecs and if the particular player supports it.

Message Edited by techieq on 03-10-2009 07:08 PM

Message Edited by techieq on 03-10-2009 07:09 PM

@bdb wrote:

Interesting info about the processor.

Actually iTunes hasn’t improved over the years. Its gotten more bloated and slow. They always give away a song a week, and they used to give away really good music, the stuff that was played on Sounds Eclectic; now its just cheap imitations of radio pop. In the process, they became the biggest music reseller. Go figure.

The only thing that has improved is that they’re supposedly getting rid of the DRM (that’s proprietary, so of course the Fuze could never play it). They said it’d all be DRM-free by April 1. That’s not far away, and I can find all sorts of music that is DRMed…including some stuff released after their announcement. I’ve been exposed to Apple enough to know better than to trust them.

Dont spread this around… I have a friend who is on the “Inside” of the switch. He tells me that stuff thats come out since the announcment will be DRMd until April 1, as will everything currently DRMd. Then it will be like a switch is thrown and its gone. It is my understanding the switch will be pretty instant. He also shared with me that ACC will still be the file type they push.

@conversionbox wrote:

Dont spread this around…

*Snerk* 

Oops.

As you post it on a public forum?   :stuck_out_tongue:

@tenzip wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

Dont spread this around…

*Snerk* 

Oops.

As you post it on a public forum?   :stuck_out_tongue:

I did… I thought maybe it was a dream… Oh Well.  :smileyvery-happy:

I buy on itune single songs, when i hear a album some times i just like 2 songs. I convert to mp3 in itunes, to a folder then download to Fuse. Just bought a black Fuse comp usa 2gb, then later ILL get the card for more memory. Apple is not gonna do anything to.AAC money, mac , ipod songs they force you to use buy a mac , ipod, buy songs in there format so you cant go around. thats propriety.  im a geek Dell computer, Sansa fuse but i only buy the songs the have a giant data base. 99cents a song and i convert to mp3 download to fuse and dont no what a mac OS looks like on a comp. I know Microsoft and WMP 11

they control business 80% i think the will do something in WMP and convert for people so you use windows buy songs. Realplayer does the same there own format. subscription 39.00 a month. but i get around that and put on music to fuse.

A web news article said Apple will not change its bad for there bus. $

Im new also talk to you later.  Tony

I don’t know what country you are in, but Amazon sells very nice .mp3 files. So does eMusic.

Sorry joined 3 days ago , putting on Win 7 ultimate, on laptop and desktop. drivers are driving me crazy, moms in hospital  going every day back forth

while installing drivers win 7 , alot of vista drivers work on win 7 32bit.

Tony

Thanks Im from  Des Plaines , IL  10 min from  Chicago

fuze+rockbox can play aac and other format (over 30+ codecs)

Sansa Fuze+ supported video and music formats
What video and music formats does the Sansa Fuze+ player support?
The Sansa Fuze+ player supports the following music and video formats

Music: MP3, WMA, Secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, AAC, Audible, Podcasts
Video: MPEG-4, H.264, WMV and Flip Video
Photo: JPEG and BMP

But, the DRM-ed AAC format doesn’t supported in Sansa fuse, Apple Music is DRM protected AAC format, so you can’t transfer Apple Music to Sansa and other MP3 player. If you want to play Apple Music on MP3 player, you must to convert Apple Music to MP3.

If you want to convert downloaded Apple Music songs to MP3 format, then transferring to MP3 player, Sony Walkman, iPod Nano for playing offline, you can use a Apple Music DRM Removal tool, this UkeySoft Apple Music Converter can help you remove DRM from Apple Music and convert Apple Music M4P to MP3 / AAC format with excellent output quality and super fast conversion speed.