Installed a 32gb microsdhc card, can't see most of the music.

I loaded 30 gigs of music onto the 32gb card using my fuze, but it only shows a few directories, like 5 out of 15. i can see the directories in the browser but not on the player. i used msc to transfer the files. when updating the database, it stops in the beginning and then jumps 70% of the bar to the end. i’m using the latest v1 firmware.

anyone know how to fix this? i tried formatting the card and reloading the music. it showed different directories this time, but still only about 1/3rd of them. 

The sansa firmware has a cap of umm… 8000 (iirc) songs - also there are further limits if you have longer path names. Basically it’s to do with the size of the database file.

Could also be tag-related. Do every one of those tracks in the 30GB have clean, uncluttered Version ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 ID3 tags? Did you check them?

im using folder view not playlists

btw its 1693 files, 88 folders. 

Message Edited by fomoz on 06-26-2010 04:20 PM

fomoz wrote:

im using folder view not playlists

Nobody said anything about playlists.

And even though you’re using Folder View, it’s still based on tags (believe it or not).

what do u mean? is there any way i can quickly check/fix all the tags?

MP3TAG

this doesn’t make any sense, i have files with no tag at all and i can see them no problem in folder view on my fuze. i can’t see them in artist view tho. are u sure it’s a tag issue?

fomoz wrote:
this doesn’t make any sense, i have files with no tag at all and i can see them no problem in folder view on my fuze. i can’t see them in artist view tho. are u sure it’s a tag issue?

Well OK, let me ask you this . . . Is the 32GB card a genuine SanDisk? Did you buy it from a reputable dealer? Can you return or exchange it? In reading back over your OP, it sounds familar to other complaints here from people with ‘new’ memory cards. Usually the 16GB & 8GB, these folks also could not see or access all the files they had put on. Turned out these cards were counterfeits and bought from unscrupulous dealers in China on E-Bay.

Hope this is not your scenario.

fomoz wrote:

exactly. folder view does not use ID3 tags it looks at the actual directory structure and file name. artist view looks at the ID3 tag of each file. if you can not see the files in the artist view you need to edit and complete the ID3 tags of your files.  

yea i bought it from a chinese dealer on ebay. it’s no-name card. i know what the problem is now. some directories that i copied onto it became empty, so i just had to copy them again.

fomoz wrote:
yea i bought it from a chinese dealer on ebay. it’s no-name card. i know what the problem is now. some directories that i copied onto it became empty, so i just had to copy them again.

Yeah, you got took! I would first contact the seller about returning it and if you get no (or negative) response, escalate it to the Resolution Center at E-Bay. They take a dim view of these counterfeiters and can’t catch or ban them unless people like you report them.

i figured out a solution. the card is messed up, no question about it. i’ve found a workaround where it works if i only copy one level of directories, ie i can’t put any direcories inside a directory other than root. of well, i guess it’s worth it cause i only paid $32 with free shipping.

i reported a claim to paypal, dunno where that will go tho. 

@fomoz wrote:

i figured out a solution. the card is messed up, no question about it.

Its not messed up, its probably just a 4 or 8GB card formatted to look like a 32GB one.

fomoz wrote: 

of well, i guess it’s worth it cause i only paid $32 with free shipping. 

You bought a $150 card for $32 from someone off ebay?  Theres no way that would be legit…

looks like ur right. any way i can find out what it’s original size was and change it to that?

@drlucky wrote:

@fomoz wrote:

exactly. folder view does not use ID3 tags it looks at the actual directory structure and file name. artist view looks at the ID3 tag of each file. if you can not see the files in the artist view you need to edit and complete the ID3 tags of your files.  

That’s not strictly true.  Folder view listed two directories as one on my device, on the basis that the songs were tagged as the same album, or that the folder names only differed by the word (bonus).  I’ve read other similar reports.

You should definitely report the seller to eBay’s Resolution Center as well as PayPal (although they’re the same company). eBay will ban them, and either PayPal or eBay will send you a refund.

@black_rectangle wrote:
You should definitely report the seller to eBay’s Resolution Center as well as PayPal (although they’re the same company). eBay will ban them, and either PayPal or eBay will send you a refund.

paypal told me that i need to ship the card back to the seller and provide them with a tracking number. the card cost $32, the shipping costs $55 lol.

Do you use Windows?

First you can try the Panasonic SD Formatter:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

If this doesn’t help, you can check if you have a fake card. No guarantee, a lot to read, and i can’t help you with it…

http://fakememorysentinel.wordpress.com/

http://fixfakeflash.wordpress.com/

fomoz wrote:

@black_rectangle wrote:

paypal told me that i need to ship the card back to the seller and provide them with a tracking number. the card cost $32, the shipping costs $55 lol.

A MicroSD card can be sent anywhere in the US for the price of a 1st Class postage stamp, $ .44 (I think that’s what they’re up to now). Even if it’s being sent back to China, there’s no way it would cost anywhere near $55! :dizzy_face: