Highlighted

I want to play my fuze, in my car with ipod controls, can this be done?

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: I want to play my fuze, in my car with ipod controls, can this be done?

Uh, NO!!

Be forewarned, the iPod data connector is configured differently than the Sansa.  Any accessory made for the iPod will be configured incorrectly in terms of your Fuze, and damage WILL occur.

NEVER use an iPod device connected to the 30 pin port!

Bob  Smiley Surprised

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

It depends on the stereo unit, and the hookup it provides. If the hookup is a USB connector, it might also work with the Fuze. My Kenwood does. If its the iPod connector that look roughly similar to the one on the bottom of the Fuze...well, what Bob said.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Do you mean your car has MP3 controls?  I took a motor pool car from work with MP3 controls (it looked like--it said MP3 under the CD player, mine doesn't have it so I wasn't sure how to use it.  I use the cassette adaptor).  Then you should be able to use your Fuze in there.  Maybe with the USB connector?  But if it specific for an iPod, then like Bob said.
Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

A lot of times they say "iPod" because a lot of people think that means the same thing as "MP3 player". Smiley Wink

There are four ways a car stereo might play MP3s.

1. The most common with factory units is that it will play MP3s that are burned to a CD. You can get over 100 songs on a CD, so this isn't too bad.  
  2. Some units might have a jack that looks like a headphone. This can be either line-level or headphone-level. If its line-level, it'll sort of work with a headphone jack but you'll have to crank it up to full volume and the sound won't be as good.
  3. Some units actually have a USB connector, and they can control various players. By "control", it means you can use the stereo's fast forward to move to the next song, start/stop, etc. The iPod is almost certainly supported. Anything else isn't so certain. The connector is USB, so there's very little risk in trying it.
  4. Some units actually have an iPod connector. It looks like a Fuze connector, but it most certainly isn't. You don't even want to try these with your Fuze.
Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

The mp3 logo on many radios, below the CD slot, denotes that the player will play mp3 files on CD.  It's a cool feature, as you can store quite a few songs on a standard CD, quite a bit more than 74 minutes.

Bob  Smiley Tongue 

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

@bdb wrote:

It depends on the stereo unit, and the hookup it provides. If the hookup is a USB connector, it might also work with the Fuze. My Kenwood does. If its the iPod connector that look roughly similar to the one on the bottom of the Fuze...well, what Bob said. 

and 

[snip]

3.  Some units actually have a USB connector, and they can control various players. By "control", it means you can use the stereo's fast forward to move to the next song, start/stop, etc. The iPod is almost certainly supported. Anything else isn't so certain. The connector is USB, so there's very little risk in trying it.

[snip]

Thanks bdb, I've been searching for this answer for quite a while.  Any idea which Sansa units have decent compatibility with this type of connection?  I've got an older e260, but would not be opposed to buying one of the newer models.

Message Edited by vizoere on 10-30-2009 02:40 PM
Highlighted
SanDisk User

Read your automobiles owners manual. My brother in law has a Sansa Clip (not sure which model) that he plays through the factory radio in a Ford F-150 pickup. It is capable of Sansa controls, not sure what else, but he manages at a Ford assembly plant and knows their radios have Sansa control capability built in.

I have searched and have yet to find an aftermarket head unit that controls Sansa, though many control iJunk.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@Sgthawker wrote:

My brother in law has a Sansa Clip (not sure which model) that he plays through the factory radio in a Ford F-150 pickup.

Sarge, Clip IS the model. :smileyhappy: