I think I have a bug

I tested this several times, when using the .26 firmware on a revision 1 Fuze, when I flash the firmware to .26, it erases my GoList. Also, some of my less frequently played music (all Ogg Vorbis files) disappeared, and now I have to re-rip them since I crashed my Linux install (I royally screwed several system boot files and couldn’t remember which ones they were) and forgot to backup the music before reinstalling.

@pikidalto wrote:
I tested this several times, when using the .26 firmware on a revision 1 Fuze, when I flash the firmware to .26, it erases my GoList. Also, some of my less frequently played music (all Ogg Vorbis files) disappeared, and now I have to re-rip them since I crashed my Linux install (I royally screwed several system boot files and couldn’t remember which ones they were) and forgot to backup the music before reinstalling.

I believe it is a known issue that the GoList is reset after a firmware upgrade; I haven’t heard if this is being addressed or even if it is considered a ‘bug’.

That is strange about the disappearnace of the OGG files though.

@pikidalto wrote:
 and now I have to re-rip them since I crashed my Linux install (I royally screwed several system boot files and couldn’t remember which ones they were) and forgot to backup the music before reinstalling.

Now this is why you should keep /home on a seperate partition. Even if you screw up your userland or boot sectors, your personal files won’t be gone if you reinstall without thinking. A little planning ahead, and suddenly booze and computers mix!

Regarding the ogg’s going missing, the same happened to me but I removed the card and put it back in and they showed up after it rebuilt the database. FLAC too was missing, I think.

@mngrif wrote:

@pikidalto wrote:
 and now I have to re-rip them since I crashed my Linux install (I royally screwed several system boot files and couldn’t remember which ones they were) and forgot to backup the music before reinstalling.

Now this is why you should keep /home on a seperate partition. Even if you screw up your userland or boot sectors, your personal files won’t be gone if you reinstall without thinking. A little planning ahead, and suddenly booze and computers mix!

Regarding the ogg’s going missing, the same happened to me but I removed the card and put it back in and they showed up after it rebuilt the database. FLAC too was missing, I think.

As per installing my home directory on a seperate partition, that’s something I’ve been meaning to do, but with at least a dozen distros on a 160GB hard disk (most of them in virtual machines), it’s out of the question, at least not in a practical sense.

On to the reinserting the card, I don’t have one. Just a 2GB black fuze. I even plugged it in to the computer, and they weren’t there (I’ve ALWAYS used MSC mode to copy the files over).

Copying or removing a file will force a media refresh too. Very strange about them going completely missing though…

Having several distros on one drive actually furthers the case of a shared partition to keep your media files, but a shared /home isn’t a good idea since there will be differing versions of software and the dotfiles will get screwed up. Also most “easy” virtualization software (vmware, virtualpc, virtualbox) won’t let you use a (un)mounted partition as a drive, but there are ways around that…

Message Edited by mngrif on 06-25-2009 12:00 AM

@mngrif wrote:

Copying or removing a file will force a media refresh too. Very strange about them going completely missing though…

Having several distros on one drive actually furthers the case of a shared partition to keep your media files, but a shared /home isn’t a good idea since there will be differing versions of software and the dotfiles will get screwed up. Also most “easy” virtualization software (vmware, virtualpc, virtualbox) won’t let you use a (un)mounted partition as a drive, but there are ways around that…

Message Edited by mngrif on 06-25-2009 12:00 AM

Which is part of why I don’t use a /home partition. As for using using a partition as a drive, I’ve managed to use my Fuze as a USB device inside VirtualBox, and it works just fine. Also, VirtualBox allows for shared directories between the host and guest, so I can do things that way.