I think I found a bug with the latest firmware (sleep feature).

Hi guys!

First of all congratatulations for the hard work that you guys put on the new firmware and especially for making this device my favorite and everyone’s favorite. I just like to help with the development of a better firmware for this device, so here is what I found:

While playing with my device I found something interesting:
The sleep timer feature is really nice but is not working as it should work (I believe). Problem: The device will shut down even if it is NOT setup to do so. Please follow the following instruction to replicate this issue:

1: Turn on the device
2: Go to settings – System settings – sleep
3: Now change the number of minutes to 10 or whatever minutes you want and click “Ok” (Ok is the middle button of the scrolling wheel)
4: Right after you click “Ok” (or the middle button of the scrolling wheel) change the minutes to 0 (or off, we don’t want the sleep feature any more).
5:  Now listen to any song and wait 10 minutes, the device will shut down even if you changed the minutes back from 10 to 0 (off).

One wait to avoid this issue will be to not select or click the “Ok” button while choosing a number of minutes for the device to shut down. This problem could also be in the power saving feature but I’m not sure (I haven’t test it yet).

Message Edited by jcroot on 12-12-2008 05:00 PM

@jcroot wrote:

Hi guys!

First of all congratatulations for the hard work that you guys put on the new firmware and especially for making this device my favorite and everyone’s favorite. I just like to help with the development of a better firmware for this device, so here is what I found:

While playing with my device I found something interesting:
The sleep timer feature is really nice but is not working as it should work (I believe). Problem: The device will shut down even if it is NOT setup to do so. Please follow the following instruction to replicate this issue:

1: Turn on the device
2: Go to settings – System settings – sleep
3: Now change the number of minutes to 10 or whatever minutes you want and click “Ok” (Ok is the middle button of the scrolling wheel)
4: Right after you click “Ok” (or the middle button of the scrolling wheel) change the minutes to 0 (or off, we don’t want the sleep feature any more).
5:  Now listen to any song and wait 10 minutes, the device will shut down even if you changed the minutes back from 10 to 0 (off).

One wait to avoid this issue will be to not select or click the “Ok” button while choosing a number of minutes for the device to shut down. This problem could also be in the power saving feature but I’m not sure (I haven’t test it yet).
Message Edited by jcroot on 12-12-2008 05:00 PM

If you don’t click ok after changing the minutes back from 10 to 0, then I think the device is still set to go to sleep.Clicling the ok is what confirms it, right? So it sounds like you’re setting it to sleep, confirming it, then turning the sleep off , and not confirming that choice. I won’t know for sure until later tonight, when I give the Clip a break from it’s “sleep” duty.:smiley:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 12-12-2008 09:01 PM

If you don’t click ok after changing the minutes back from 10 to 0, then I think the device is still set to go to sleep.Clicling the ok is what confirms it, right? So it sounds like you’re setting it to sleep, confirming it, then turning the sleep off , and not confirming that choice. I won’t know for sure until later tonight, when I give the Clip a break from it’s “sleep” duty.:smiley:

Well I just believe is a bug, I tried to click the “OK” button to confirm the changes from 10 back to 0 minutes and my device shut down automatically after 10 minutes. Can somebody else confirm this please?

I’ll try to confirm it as soon as I find the cable for my Fuze :wink: I don’t know where I put the cable, but I’ll definitely try to find it soon.

@jcroot wrote:

Well I just believe is a bug, I tried to click the “OK” button to confirm the changes from 10 back to 0 minutes and my device shut down automatically after 10 minutes. Can somebody else confirm this please?

Well, I just tried the sleep, and it shut itself down after 10 minutes. Then, I turned it back on, and went to the settings ,and the sleep was back to 0 minutes…so I wouldn’t worry about it.:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@jcroot wrote:

Well, I just tried the sleep, and it shut itself down after 10 minutes. Then, I turned it back on, and went to the settings ,and the sleep was back to 0 minutes…so I wouldn’t worry about it.:smiley:

Yes, you are right but is not the way it should be. If I changed and confirmed my changes back from 10 to 0 or off then the device shouldn’t turn off. So I still believe this is a bug, is not a big deal but it is a bug.

@jcroot wrote:

Yes, you are right but is not the way it should be. If I changed and confirmed my changes back from 10 to 0 or off then the device shouldn’t turn off. So I still believe this is a bug, is not a big deal but it is a bug.

JcRoot, I reproduced it too.  I believe it’s a bug too, and you should pat yourself on the back for discovering it.  It needs to be fixed.

To reproduce: 

Set the sleep to 10 minutes.  Leave sleep mode

Navigate around the menus for a bit.

Go back into sleep mode and set it back to __

Go out of sleep mode, go back into sleep mode and confirm that it’s been set to __

System goes to sleep after 10 minutes anyway.

Thanks for reporting it.

@mydd wrote:

@jcroot wrote:

JcRoot, I reproduced it too.  I believe it’s a bug too, and you should pat yourself on the back for discovering it.  It needs to be fixed.

To reproduce: 

Set the sleep to 10 minutes.  Leave sleep mode

Navigate around the menus for a bit.

Go back into sleep mode and set it back to __

Go out of sleep mode, go back into sleep mode and confirm that it’s been set to __

System goes to sleep after 10 minutes anyway.

Thanks for reporting it.

Thank you for confirming this, I thought I was going crazy thinking that I was the only one who experiences this, thanks also for making the instructions more clear since my english is bad (I’m originally from Peru). Cheers!

My advice would be to click the Firmware sticky and report it there, though I’m sure Sansafix will see it if you don’t and will report it to the Firmware devs.

Good catch.  We’ll fix it next time.

Workaround - Power the device off and on to cancel sleep .

It would be nice to see somewhere, maybe in the Sleep menu itself in the nice blank space under the setting for minutes, how many more minutes and seconds were remaining before it goes to sleep. That would be a nice visual indication to the user as to whether it was activated or not.

A feature of the sleep timer that I would like to see incorporated eventually…is for the sleep timer to “stick”; that is until you deactivate it, every time you use your player it will turn off at the prescribed amount of time.  It’s not a big deal; just a little extra that would be nice.  My last MP3 player had that feature and I almost always left the sleep timer activated…Just one less step in the process if you use the sleep timer frequently like I do.

I know this was already confirmed, but I’d like to re-confirm it.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:
A feature of the sleep timer that I would like to see incorporated eventually…is for the sleep timer to “stick”; that is until you deactivate it, every time you use your player it will turn off at the prescribed amount of time.  It’s not a big deal; just a little extra that would be nice.  My last MP3 player had that feature and I almost always left the sleep timer activated…Just one less step in the process if you use the sleep timer frequently like I do.

Like the poster said, having the Sleep Timer not automatically deactivate when turning off is what I like. I don’t like to have to manually set the sleep timer each time. The sleep timer should be memorized like the other functions such as backlighting, background, power saver, instead of constantly resetting.

Yup.  I listen to a 4 hour recorded radio show each evening to fall to sleep.  Once in awhile, I forget to set the sleep feature and my unit plays the entire 4 hour radio show before shutting down.  I know it is my mistake by not always remembering to set the sleep timer…but if the timer settings would “stick”, the fuze would correct my human failings…:stuck_out_tongue:

I can confirm that this bug exists.

I set the Sleep timer to 10 minutes, I then turn the sleep timer off, 10 minutes later the Fuze turns off.