I need to replace Fuze. Recommendations?

@flyingscool wrote:

My comment was that the only suggestion other than getting another fuze was a clip.  It may well be that the fuze is the best (it seems to be from my research), but I was just wondering what people thought of other available players.

If the priority is for a music centric player with high sound quality, there aren’t that many choices:

• Recent Sony mid to high end players - Expensive, but nice.  Build quality is pretty much the best.  Very nice UI and stable FW, but you’ll never see an enhancement or new feature.  Accessories are really expensive. 
  • Cowon iAudio 6/7 - Before the latest Sony’s and Sansa’s this was pretty much the only game in town for high quality audio.  Nice hardware, and great codec support, but Cowon has a lot of trouble with FW.  The D2 also has excellent sound quality, but it’s more of a true PMP (great video support, touch screen, etc.), so it’s really in a different category.
  • Sansa Fuze/Clip - Sound quality as good as any on the market.  Incredible value and great features.  Build quality not as high as some others, but still above average for the market in general.  One big plus is that all features work in MTP or MSC modes (except DRM of course).  Most other players are either MTP only, or have a crippled MSC mode (i.e. Cowon requires MTP for playlists).  Aside from the sound quality, the fully functional MSC mode was a big selling point for me.
    From a value standpoint, the Clip and Fuze are pretty much untouchable.  Great SQ, great features, great price.  It’s not perfect, but none of them are.

For other priorities (video, games, wireless, etc.) there are many other choices.  But for a high quality music player the Clip and Fuze are tough to beat.
Message Edited by Skinjob on 10-14-2008 10:18 AM