I'm considering converting my MP3s to a format with better sound quality...

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I have some time to burn and am bored. Alright, first let’s get it out there that I have never really considering doing this before and have no idea how to go about this. By converting my mp3s to OGG or FLAC, will the sound quality improve? Is it a simple & free process. I’d also consider using the Replay Gain feature as well.

I recenly did this myself. (I did mine back in January). The sound Quality thing… I guess it depends on how good your ears are. I conveted some of my mp3 files to Ogg and could hear more crisp high notes and more deep low notes, but many others hear no difference. I played with Flac a bit but not enough to form a definite opinon on sound quality from a conversion. On a new rip, Flac is the best I have heard (ogg is a vey close second IMO). To test sound quality changes find a few of your files that you are really farmilliar with (the ones you can hear in your head) and convert them to the other types then give a listen and see what you think. I dont know about the cost of flac conversion (I did it at work so I didnt have to install the program) but MediaMonkey will convert to OGG in the free version. I would however suggest you rerip whatever you can into the format you choose.

This has to be a perceived notion.  Once the high end (depending on bit rate and encoder …anywhere from 12.5 to 15KHz and up is dramatically damaged) is stripped away, converting to ogg vorbis will do nothing to get it back.

I had to do a clinical analysis on the differing encoders and how well they performed for a client a while back and this is one of the tests I performed.  Converting to ogg vorbis from a MP3 file only worsened the waveform of the file.

But… If you hear little or no difference or a perceived improvement… Kudos to you…

@gb1. All I said was that I could hear them. What I think happend with the conversion is that my bit rate and in turn quality bumped up slighly, and I was able to hear things that I was not able to on a lower quality mp3. I have since re ripped @ 320 kbps mp3 on my desktop and I can hear the same Highs and lows that I hear in OGG. I think thats the change. Who knows maybe Im just losing it.