SanDisk Fanatic

I'm considering converting my MP3s to a format with better sound quality...

[ Edited ]
I have some time to burn and am bored. Alright, first let's get it out there that I have never really considered doing this before and have no idea how to go about this. By converting my mp3s to OGG or FLAC, will the sound quality improve? Is it a simple & free process. I'd also consider using the Replay Gain feature as well.
Message Edited by shenanagins1091 on 04-09-2009 12:39 PM
4 GB Red Fuze, Black Silicon Case, Red JVC Marshmallow Headphones. A 1 GB m240 as well, those were the days.
SanDisk Guru

Re: I'm considering converting my MP3s to a format with better sound quality...

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I have some time to burn and am bored. Alright, first let's get it out there that I have never really considering doing this before and have no idea how to go about this. By converting my mp3s to OGG or FLAC, will the sound quality improve? Is it a simple & free process. I'd also consider using the Replay Gain feature as well.

MP3 is a lossy format, and no matter what you do, you cannot get the "dicarded" information back by re-encoding to another format.  Now, if you are starting with a lossless original; like wav or flac, that's a different story.  There will be no audible gain from starting with a MP3 and changing to a different format.

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
SanDisk Guru

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I have some time to burn and am bored. Alright, first let's get it out there that I have never really considering doing this before and have no idea how to go about this. By converting my mp3s to OGG or FLAC, will the sound quality improve? Is it a simple & free process. I'd also consider using the Replay Gain feature as well.

Converting them to FLAC will do nothing but waste space. If you have the original CD's and want to re-rip, that's different. As a general rule converting any lossy format to another cannot possibly get any better...the best you could hope for would be they'd sound the same.

I have to go to work now or I would try to elaborate on this a little further. But generally, if you don't have the CD's to re-rip, then converting the mp3's to something else would just be a waste of time.  Smiley Wink

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

Highlighted
SanDisk Fanatic

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

MP3 is a lossy format, and no matter what you do, you cannot get the "dicarded" information back by re-encoding to another format.  Now, if you are starting with a lossless original; like wav or flac, that's a different story.  There will be no audible gain from starting with a MP3 and changing to a different format.

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Hmm, well let's talk about space saving. What's the thought there? Is there a format that saves the most space but does not lose sound quality? Also, is it worth doing the RG? I mean, it doesn't sound too hard to do.

4 GB Red Fuze, Black Silicon Case, Red JVC Marshmallow Headphones. A 1 GB m240 as well, those were the days.
SanDisk Guru

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

I recenly did this myself. (I did mine back in January). The sound Quality thing... I guess it depends on how good your ears are. I conveted some of my mp3 files to Ogg and could hear more crisp high notes and more deep low notes, but many others hear no difference. I played with Flac a bit but not enough to form a definite opinon on sound quality from a conversion. On a new rip, Flac is the best I have heard (ogg is a vey close second IMO). To test sound quality changes find a few of your files that you are really farmilliar with (the ones you can hear in your head) and convert them to the other types then give a listen and see what you think. I dont know about the cost of flac conversion (I did it at work so I didnt have to install the program) but MediaMonkey will convert to OGG in the free version. I would however suggest you rerip whatever you can into the format you choose.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk Guru

@Conversionbox wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

I recenly did this myself. (I did mine back in January). The sound Quality thing... I guess it depends on how good your ears are. I conveted some of my mp3 files to Ogg and could hear more crisp high notes and more deep low notes, but many others hear no difference. I played with Flac a bit but not enough to form a definite opinon on sound quality from a conversion. On a new rip, Flac is the best I have heard (ogg is a vey close second IMO). To test sound quality changes find a few of your files that you are really farmilliar with (the ones you can hear in your head) and convert them to the other types then give a listen and see what you think. I dont know about the cost of flac conversion (I did it at work so I didnt have to install the program) but MediaMonkey will convert to OGG in the free version. I would however suggest you rerip whatever you can into the format you choose.

This has to be a perceived notion.  Once the high end (depending on bit rate and encoder ....anywhere from 12.5 to 15KHz and up is dramatically damaged) is stripped away, converting to ogg vorbis will do nothing to get it back.

I had to do a clinical analysis on the differing encoders and how well they performed for a client a while back and this is one of the tests I performed.  Converting to ogg vorbis from a MP3 file only worsened the waveform of the file.

But...... If you hear little or no difference or a perceived improvement.... Kudos to you....

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
SanDisk Fanatic

Also, I have an issue that I have had for awhile which I perceived as normal until recently. If I am listening to a song but scrolling through the artists list and the song ends, my scrolling stops for a split second. It does not do this on my brother's Fuze. It's annoying, quite frankly. Any ideas?
SanDisk Professor

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Hmm, well let's talk about space saving. What's the thought there? Is there a format that saves the most space but does not lose sound quality? Also, is it worth doing the RG? I mean, it doesn't sound too hard to do.

Ogg is the best codec supported by the Fuze to save space without noticeably degrading the sound quality. Of course, with any conversion the quality will certainly be no better than the source. FLAC will give you absolutely lossless recording, but its unlikely that you'll be able to tell the difference between that and a high-quality Ogg. Really, once you get up above 192kbps, most people have an extremely hard time telling the difference between different formats (even the ones who claim they can).

Replaygain is worth it if you find the volume varying too much between different songs or albums. If thats already good, replaygain isn't going to make it any better.

SanDisk Guru

@fuze_owner-GB wrote:

@Conversionbox wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

This has to be a perceived notion.  Once the high end (depending on bit rate and encoder ....anywhere from 12.5 to 15KHz and up is dramatically damaged) is stripped away, converting to ogg vorbis will do nothing to get it back.

I had to do a clinical analysis on the differing encoders and how well they performed for a client a while back and this is one of the tests I performed.  Converting to ogg vorbis from a MP3 file only worsened the waveform of the file.

But...... If you hear little or no difference or a perceived improvement.... Kudos to you....

@gb. All I said was that I could hear them. What I think happend with the conversion is that my bit rate and in turn quality bumped up slighly, and I was able to hear things that I was not able to on a lower quality mp3. I have since re ripped @ 320 kbps mp3 on my desktop and I can hear the same Highs and lows that I hear in OGG. I think thats the change. Who knows maybe Im just losing it.

Conversion Box
Did you notice this forum has a search function? Its not impossible to figure that someone else asked your question before you did, and we have answered it(probably multiple times). Check it out! Or Check out the Knowledge Base

SanDisk Fanatic

A lot of my mp3s have like a 128 kb/s bit rate.