I am SO MAD right now I could spit nails!!!!!

I had over 300 songs on my sansa fuze 8 gig, some of which I think I have lost for good. It seems that when you download songs to the device from your computer, then delete the songs from the computer (no longer needed, I sadly assumed), THEN FAST FORWARD A MONTH OR SO… New songs added to the computer, all set to sync to the fuze, and the fuze up and deleted all the songs previously on the fuze!!! WHY did it do this??? My only guess is that if the song(s) isn’t/aren’t on the computer anymore then the fuze figures you don’t need 'em anymore! Is there a way to get back what I lost? Any way to prevent this from happening again? I just can’t see keeping all those song files on my computer that were already synced to the fuse. WERE synced to the fuze I should say. I’m PISSED!!!

@meow2u2 wrote:
I had over 300 songs on my sansa fuze 8 gig, some of which I think I have lost for good. It seems that when you download songs to the device from your computer, then delete the songs from the computer (no longer needed, I sadly assumed), THEN FAST FORWARD A MONTH OR SO… New songs added to the computer, all set to sync to the fuze, and the fuze up and deleted all the songs previously on the fuze!!! WHY did it do this??? My only guess is that if the song(s) isn’t/aren’t on the computer anymore then the fuze figures you don’t need 'em anymore! Is there a way to get back what I lost? Any way to prevent this from happening again? I just can’t see keeping all those song files on my computer that were already synced to the fuse. WERE synced to the fuze I should say. I’m PISSED!!!

I don’t know what sync program you use, but most likely it was a setting on that program that made your old songs disappear. This is another reason why you are better off using the drag and drop/copy and paste method of adding/subtracting music with your Fuze. Sorry about your songs though.:cry:

I was using Windows Media Player. How do you do it the other way? Is it thru “My Computer” ?

@meow2u2 wrote:
I was using Windows Media Player. How do you do it the other way? Is it thru “My Computer” ?

Yes. With WMP there is a setting somewhere to make what happened to you not happen…I can’t remember exactly what menu it’s in though. But yeah, “My Computer” bring up 2 of them…one with your music folder, and one for the Fuze. Then you can just transfer it all yourself :smiley:

When you “sync” with a media management program, it normally assumes that the player is an extension of your library, so when you delete it from your device, you are removing it from your library as well.

Now does that mean your songs are gone?  Not necessarily.  Now, most likely the song is simply no longer in your library, and as such is not found by media player, but may still be on your box.

Got to tools/options/library in Media player and check your “update library by monitoring folders”.  This is where Windows looks for new media files.  Underneath the Monitor Folders button is a checkbox that says "Delete files from computer when deleted from library.  If this is checkboxed, you are probably hosed.  When the sync occurred Media Player removed it from the library, and then deleted the file.  If this is not checkboxed, then only the file entry in Media Player was removed, and you can set Media Player to rescan your drive and it should put the files back into Media Player.

Hope this helps.

(having all your music backed up on an external USB hard drive is highly recommended…I do it weekly just in case…)

To drag and drop, you can do it through my computer.  the player will either show up as a player (if in MTP mode) or two removable drives (if in MSC mode)

@marvin_martian wrote:

@meow2u2 wrote:

Yes. With WMP there is a setting somewhere to make what happened to you not happen…I can’t remember exactly what menu it’s in though. But yeah, “My Computer” bring up 2 of them…one with your music folder, and one for the Fuze. Then you can just transfer it all yourself :smiley:

I swear if all the sync programs would go away and never return, problems on this forum would be reduced by at least 50%!!!

I know that everybody uses their devices and software differently, but I’ve really never had a need for any sync program.  Drag 'n Drop works for my needs perfectly!!

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I swear if all the sync programs would go away and never return, problems on this forum would be reduced by at least 50%!!!

I know that everybody uses their devices and software differently, but I’ve really never had a need for any sync program.  Drag 'n Drop works for my needs perfectly!!

Isn’t that the truth?  But you don’t rent your music, do you?  The rental agreement requires using MTP/sync.

The very difinition of being in sync is that the two libraries are in sync or the same.  I like it but obviously some don’t.  Also, with computers, everything fails eventually especially flash memory and hard drives (you don’t expecty your car to last forever).  So…why would you have anything you care about such as music, photos, etc. in only one place?  I tend to have backup on top of backup and have never regreted it.

*TIP* ALWAYS have your music in two places.

FUZE + PC. Does not need to be an external drive.

The odds of BOTH devices dieing at the same time are almost 0.

What happens if you put all your music on the Fuze and then drop it in the ocean?

@tenzip wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Isn’t that the truth?  But you don’t rent your music, do you?  The rental agreement requires using MTP/sync.

Very true… You are right; I never thought it a very good value, for me to “rent” much of anything…including music.  But, that’s me.  I know there are plenty of people use these services and are required to sync to their devices.

I use MTP all the time for Rhapsody, but I only connect in MTP for Rhapsody ONLY.  When I use Winamp to do my owned music, I use MSC mode or simply drag and drop. 

Rhapsody is a great deal, but even so, I don’t “Sync” with anything.  I use winamp to autofill the remaining 6 GB of my internal memory.  My 16GB micro SD never gets “touched” in MTP.

@meow2u2 wrote:

You have the ‘Automatic Sync’ truned on in WMP. Or more accurately, IT has it turned on by default. This happened to me . . . once. Since then, I’ve been strictly an MSC/drag & drop user.

You ‘synced’ the songs from your computer to your player. By ‘syncing’ you are telling WMP to make your portable player have exactly the same files on it as your computer’s hard drive. So after the sync is complete, you’re a happy camper. Now, at some point in the suture, you decide, “I don’t need to tie up space on my hard drive with all this music” and you delete some (or all) of your song files on your computer.

At some further point on the future, you plug in your player to ‘sync’ some more music to it. It does it alright, but at the same time, WMP doesn’t see that those first files are on your hard drive anymore, so according to it’s settings, it removes them from your player! The music on your player is the same on what’s on your hard drive, so it did it’s job, but you are anything BUT a happy camper now.

There’s probably no way to get them back, unless you have copies somewhere else, or you can re-rip from CD’s, but you can avoid the problem in the future. Either stop ‘syncing’ and manually add your music without the ‘help’ from WMP like I did or, re-set WMP to only ‘Manually Sync’ whenever you connect your player to your computer.

lol its only 300 songs… tough luck though, sorry to hear

WMP is a real PITA

Synching is a real PITA

Together they are …a bigger PITA

I learned this after about three weeks of extreme frustration when I first started.

No more WMP

No more playlists

No more synching

MSC and drag/drop just like you’re going to a USB flash drive.

I have a large music library back on the PC and there’s no way I would want to synch it. 

Microsoft has cause so many headaches with all their garbage.

One other thing I’d advise:  Every so often just backup your entire Fuze to the PC, music, videos and all.  Just make a SansaFuzeBackup folder and copy the entire thing.  Do this once a month or so.  Worst case if you crash or have to re-format…everything is right there in one Copy maneuver.

I understand a little the hate for synching programs.

Here’s a tip, though:

If you take the time to set them up properly they work BEAUTIFULLY! None of them work the way most people want them by defaults.

Especially MS. They try so hard to make it so simple to plug and play to appeal to those that know very little about this stuff.

So does anyone really wonder when MS comes out with thier own player… they created a new app just for it. Hell, they don’t even want you to use thier OWN player with WMP.

But… if configured correctly… it does work.

I enjoy the fact that my PC and my player are in constant synch. (FINALLY, I should say… yea I had issues getting it perfect). This is why i have a player that is larger then my entire collection. I like that WMP auto-synchs my podcast to my Fuze. Annoys the s— out of me when I have some songs on my player that I don’t have on my PC and vice versa. Then I have to periodically copy everything around, figure out what’s missing… big pain in the a–. And copying 1700 files takes 2 hours at least. Synching takes a few minutes at a time.

Of course, I still have to resort to drag and drop when I put a sing on my player, from say my work PC.

But hey… pros and cons on both sides (MSC v MTP). 

Just wanted to stand up for synching. :wink:

i agree the sync stuff is a PITA to use and drag/drop myself

but the sync functionality in ITUNES software is a huge reason why that player dominates the market.

the average person just does not understand the technical aspects of moving music to/from a DMP device.

and they don’t want to RTFM either to learn how to do it.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

WMP is a real PITA

Synching is a real PITA

Together they are …a bigger PITA

I learned this after about three weeks of extreme frustration when I first started.

No more WMP

No more playlists

No more synching

MSC and drag/drop just like you’re going to a USB flash drive.

I have a large music library back on the PC and there’s no way I would want to synch it. 

MSC will set you free!

:smileyvery-happy:

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Synching is a real PITA

Not necessarily. I sync my hard drive with an external backup drive and a second computer with some folders of my workstation. It saves me a lot of time. There are only issues if someone doesn’t know what it means to sync the data on two devices. I’d agree though that it isn’t intuitive and really should be explained by the software, especially if data is deleted or overwritten. Anything that deletes data shouldn’t be the default option.

I also agree that MSC is the safest choice, and I use it with my Fuze as well (there’s more music on my PC than on my player), plus I dislike and don’t use WMP. :slight_smile: But the ability to sync two devices ia a great thing. When I switched back to Windows after years of Linux, for work reasons, I had a heck of a time to find software that did what I wanted.

Mivo wrote: 

There are only issues if someone doesn’t know what it means to sync the data on two devices. I’d agree though that it isn’t intuitive and really should be explained by the software, especially if data is deleted or overwritten. Anything that deletes data shouldn’t be the default option.

Perhaps the key is for the new user to stop and ask why it is called “sync” instead of “copy” 

@donp wrote:

Mivo wrote: 

There are only issues if someone doesn’t know what it means to sync the data on two devices. I’d agree though that it isn’t intuitive and really should be explained by the software, especially if data is deleted or overwritten. Anything that deletes data shouldn’t be the default option.

Perhaps the key is for the new user to stop and ask why it is called “sync” instead of “copy” 

Sync: “User says I should have the files the PC has, and only those files.”

User: “Hey Sync, sync my files.”

Sync: “Got 'em!”

User: “Hey Sync, I don’t have file X any more.  Sync my files.”

Sync: “OK, got rid of file X!”

User: “Why?”

:wink: