How many times has your fuze froze on you?

I’m just wondering how many times your fuze frozed while you were using it?

Reason why im asking because Im thinking of buying a fuze later this week. However, i borrowed my friend’s fuze for a few days, just to check it out and get a feel of it, and i noticed that it freezes alot (when im just browsing music, and especially when im listening to the radio). His fuze is the 8GB version. I just find it tedious and annoying having to reset it several times.

I had a few instances of freezing when I started using OGG files for my music. But a Firmware update fixed that. I have never had it freeze while using the radio. Other than those rare situations neither of my 2 fuzes have ever frozen.

sansaguest1 wrote:

I’m just wondering how many times your fuze frozed while you were using it?

Reason why im asking because Im thinking of buying a fuze later this week. However, i borrowed my friend’s fuze for a few days, just to check it out and get a feel of it, and i noticed that it freezes alot (when im just browsing music, and especially when im listening to the radio). His fuze is the 8GB version. I just find it tedious and annoying having to reset it several times.

I had one for eleven months, and I think it only froze three or four times…never while I listened to the radio though.

I’ve been using it for a bout a year now and I am sure it hasn’t froze on me more than 5 time’s.SERIOUSLY!And yes I use it a lot!Now look,I don’t want you to get a wrong impression on this GREAT MP3 Player.Cause it does have some bugs to be fixed.But throwing them a side I think this player is AWESOME!Better than an iPoop in many way’s in my own opinion.Who agrees with meh? :smiley:But if you’re buying a player for the sole purpose of Video’s.Then I suggest you look into this player a bit more cause the software for transferring videos is not good at all which is the Sansa Media Converter and the screen resolution in this is 220x176 compared to the 320x240(Ipod Nano 4G) or 376x240(iPod Nano 5G).So what I am saying is you’ll get a better picture with the iNano.BUT In My Opinion the Fuze beat’s the ■■■■ outta the Nano Overall.Overall I would recommend this player highly!

Zero freezes on 4 regular use Fuzes (2G Black-Mint Original,4G Red-To Get 8G Board Soon,8G Silver-Daily Workhorse,8G Blue-Custom Built). All are V1 running 11A or 18A firmware. All in MSC mode. Swap in several different 4G-8G micro cards. All run MP3 only (95% are VBR) no other audio format. Proper V2.3 tags. No album art. No video. No radio problems, but not used much due to so-so FM reception (I use an iRiver H10 for FM with much better reception).

I use only music, never video or radio, playing .mp3 and occasionally .wma, in MSC mode. In more than a year it has frozen just once or twice on me–once when I started trying to do something in MTP and it messed up the file system and needed a format (I could still get all the music off first, luckily). 

But I DO run every album that goes on it through mp3tag to save tags as ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1–which takes all of about 3 seconds.  Your friend may have files from all over the place with all kinds of tags, and that will freeze it sooner or later. 

Don’t get it as a video player, because that seems to be a lot less reliable. But for music, as long as you feed it what it likes you won’t have any serious problems. On the other hand, if you grab stuff from the internet and just dump it on there without looking at it first, you’ll get freezes. 

I’ve had it for about 4 months and it’s frozen about 3 times but it was only frozen for 10 secs or so, it did not need a restart.

I’ve only had mine about 3 weeks, but it’s never froze (8GB Black v2 w/.26FW) I’ve got a 2GB card and about 2000 songs, 3000 photos & 20 videos. I “thought” it had froze the first time it was “refreshing media” after adding ~2000 files, it moved up to about 90% rather quickly, then just sat there. I left it alone for about 10 minutes while I “searched for answers on the net”, and it finally just “refreshed” and everything worked fine (I think that’s a known bug, the progress bar just isn’t accurate). One of the best pieces of advice I can give, when you first get it, put it into MSC mode and leave it there, then, just drag & drop your folders full of mp3’s & playlists into the MUSIC folder, photos into PHOTOS, etc. and everything should work fine. Don’t use the Sansa Media Converting software, get video4fuze, it’s small, simple, (relatively) fast, and free. It will convert your videos & pictures to the right formats, and then just drag & drop them into the respective Fuze folders via Windows Explorer / My Computer. Enjoy!

Freeze-ups are most often caused by a problem with the file you are trying to play.  They do not happen very often, especially if your audio files are from a reputable source, or ripped from a CD.  As long as the metadata, in the form of ID3 tags, is correct, the player should be trouble-free.

With the Fuze in daily operation, the only times I have had it freeze on its own involve allowing the device to power down after sitting idle; these incidents are rare.  In any of these cases, the soft reset restores operation (holding the power switch in the ON position for about 15-20 seconds).

Resetting the Fuze is an uncommon experience, as probing the wee slider switch is something I don’t like (big paws).  I would remember the task if it happened very often.  Typically, the only times mine freezes are when I’m trying to make it do so, in testing.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Just so you know the iPood also freezes and it’s harder to reset (holding two buttons or something).  I have coworkers with 2 different verions of Nanos, one is the tiny one about the size of the Fuze and the other has the last generation (before video one) and they have both froze. 

Mine has also froze, but then it’s fine.  I can’t remember what it froze on.  One time I think it just didn’t turn on (after I got it about 14 months ago)  The other I went to the next song by pressing the wheel.  I *think* only those two times, maybe a third.

I would think it’s his Fuze, maybe check with him to see if it freezes on him.  Have him come to this board and maybe we can help.

In the 1st 24 hours I had it…ohh about 30 times. :neutral_face:

Then I realized I was having trouble with ogg files. Reconverted them and haven’t had a problem with freezing since. (I’ve had the Sansa since Wednesday last week) Have had a few other quirks here & there (one just happened–it died then came back from the dead) but so far so good.

sunshine1970 wrote:

In the 1st 24 hours I had it…ohh about 30 times. :neutral_face:

Then I realized I was having trouble with ogg files. Reconverted them and haven’t had a problem with freezing since. (I’ve had the Sansa since Wednesday last week) Have had a few other quirks here & there (one just happened–it died then came back from the dead) but so far so good.

If you have problems with OGG files you should probably make sure you have the newest firmware (Dont assume cause its a new player your FW is up to date) there was a fix for this a while back. If you do that and still have problems, then you should check your Vorbis Comments to make sure there arnt any problems in them 

Unless there’s something newer than 2.02.28A, I’ve got the newest firmware on the player.

From the reading on this forum, there seems to be a problem with ogg tags.

It’s just odd. My husband has a 4GB fuze and has firmware 2.02.26A and it plays whatever is thrown at it. Me, on the other hand…I’ve had trouble with all of my ogg files. His ogg files and mine were ripped the exact same way and same ripper (Grip–I’m using Ubuntu). I even downgraded to .26A and I still had the same problem. I’ve installed MP3tag with wine and am using that to redo the tags on my songs, and that seems to be taking care of the problem. (Frustrating, but at least it’s solvable.)

sunshine1970 wrote:

<–Snip–> 

I’ve installed MP3tag with wine and am using that to redo the tags on my songs, and that seems to be taking care of the problem. (Frustrating, but at least it’s solvable.)

Ill have to keep that in mind. When I started using OGG I had already run all the files through  tagging program (I actually did a lot of them as I went using Media Monkey for both thing) so that wasn’t the problem I had.  

Well, I’ve replaced mine twice, but with the newest firmware, it hasn’t frozen up on me once.  This third one has almost reached its 1 year warranty now. So all you have to do is find a good one, and it’s the best thing ever . . . well, for that price.