How do you make playlists?

I dont see an easy way to do this. Tried to figure it out a while back and finally gave up and just started using genres as my playlists.

Is there an easy way to make a playlist for the Fuze?

You create playlists in your computer’s media player, then transfer them to the Fuze.

I am in WMP11. It says I can only make playlists in the “sync” tab…but when I drag tracks into the pane, the dropdown doesnt let me save the playlist. It is grayed out.

Playlists?

Open WiMP11 and look in the upper left corner when your Library is open.  Click on the Playlists listing in the upper corner, try New Playlist.  Once you click the italic listing, it will “go blue”, prompting you to name the list.

Then go through your library, and drag / drop the titles to the list pane on the right.

I did some experiments with FLAC files last week.  For testing, I have a basic library of FLAC files, but I’d never built any from my CD collection, perferring to save hard drive space.  Well, that isn’t a big hurdle these days- you should see the cool teeny HP drives on the bench here.  I tried FrankenWiMP just for fun; lo and behold, my FLAC playlists are all automatically in the tree.  How 'bout that?

I have all kinds of interesting plugins on this installation, so WiMP understands FLAC.

The Rhapsody 4 client has a “crazy simple” playlist builder that’s very user-friendly, and Media Monkey’s playlist function is good too.  You don’t have to subscribe to Rhapsody to use the client to manage your music library, incidentally.

Note: FrankenWiMP is not available online, though “FrankenPIMP” is, check out imdb.com for details.  Well, on second thought, it’s 3 hours long.  Check out the trailer first, hehe.  My wife was befuddled with the WiMP installation on this machine versus the standard version on the other PCs, hence the name.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I am currently working through this myself. I have successfully created the playlist in WMP. I would had whole CDs to the playlist. When I synch to the Fuze, it would place a whole new copy of the album on the Fuze and ate up all my memory.

I then tried saving the playlist in WMP to a M3U file, copied that to the Fuze and playlist shows empty on the Fuze. I am sure that is due to it is confused as to where the CDs are physically located since it was created on the PC. 

I then tried saving the playlist in WMP to a M3U file, copied that to
the Fuze and playlist shows empty on the Fuze. I am sure that is due to
it is confused as to where the CDs are physically located since it was
created on the PC.

Your M3U file needs to be in the MUSIC folder on the Fuze.  If it’s somewhere else on your Fuze, you can just move it there doing a drag 'n drop in My Computer.

Then, you need to remove the \MUSIC\ at the beginning of each line in the playlist.  I use Notepad++ to do this - it’s very easy to do a search (for \MUSIC) and replace (with nothing) across all my playlists, then save them all at once.  Takes about 15 seconds for my 17 playlists.

@pruje wrote:

I dont see an easy way to do this. Tried to figure it out a while back and finally gave up and just started using genres as my playlists.

Is there an easy way to make a playlist for the Fuze?

The easiest way is to create the playlist in Windows Media Player 11. Save the playlist, then connect the Fuze. Click on the sync tab and make sure your Fuze is recognized.

Then, click on playlists again and find the playlists you wish to transfer. Don’t open the playlist with the songs listed…right click on the playlist and select “Add to Sync list.” The playlist and its contents should be transferred. I don’t change the format of mine and I’ve successfully copied my playlists to my Fuze and several Clips (as well as other players).

I hope this helps.

Yeah, I never had a problem creating playlists for the Fuze when I used WMP11.  It was the app itself that drove me nuts!  :smileyvery-happy:

So I cannot create playlists using files that have already been put on my Fuze…is that correct? I can only create playlists by re-uploading (syncing) the songs to the Fuze in the process?

I believe, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, that you can leave the songs on the player. When you sync the playlist, you should see “Already on Device” during the sync process.

So, leave the songs on the Fuze and the playlist sync should put everything where it belongs.

And, FWIW, I don’t think WMP11 is a horrible program but I’m not picky. I find it easy to use and it gets along with my players from other companies. I’m too lazy to start all over again with MediaMonkey or another program (unless there is a way to transfer the WMP playlists to MediaMonkey?).

@pruje wrote:
So I cannot create playlists using files that have already been put on my Fuze…is that correct? I can only create playlists by re-uploading (syncing) the songs to the Fuze in the process?

Hmm - sounds simple enough. Will I have a problem with the playlist if it is pointing to music ont the Internal and Externa?

@oreosmeow wrote:

I then tried saving the playlist in WMP to a M3U file, copied that to
the Fuze and playlist shows empty on the Fuze. I am sure that is due to
it is confused as to where the CDs are physically located since it was
created on the PC.

Your M3U file needs to be in the MUSIC folder on the Fuze.  If it’s somewhere else on your Fuze, you can just move it there doing a drag 'n drop in My Computer.

Then, you need to remove the \MUSIC\ at the beginning of each line in the playlist.  I use Notepad++ to do this - it’s very easy to do a search (for \MUSIC) and replace (with nothing) across all my playlists, then save them all at once.  Takes about 15 seconds for my 17 playlists.

I believe, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, that you can leave the songs on the player. When you sync the playlist, you should see “Already on Device” during the sync process.

When I try to make a playlist, WMP11 tells me I have to do it from the “Sync” tab. 

When I attemt to make a playlist from the sync tab, it allows me to drag and drop, but the “save playlist as” option is always grayed out. 

Hmm - sounds simple enough. Will I have a problem with the playlist if it is pointing to music ont the Internal and Externa?

You know, I don’t know.  I don’t have external memory on my Fuze yet.  Does anyone else have an answer…I’m sure I’ll need it too at some point!  Thanks!

M3U playlists will only support files from 1 memory source at a time. So you can have a playlist comprised of songs residing in the player’s internal memory or the external memory card, but not both. You can have multiple playlists, but sometimes you don’t want to have to re-arrange your music files just to accomodate certain songs in a specific playlist.

PLA format playlists can read (and play) songs from _ both _ memory sources. There are programs/scripts written to convert .m3u to .pla; Google can certainly help you find one that you like.

As the old saying goes, there’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. :wink:

Thanks!

When I try to make a playlist, WMP11 tells me I have to do it from the “Sync” tab. 

When I attemt to make a playlist from the sync tab, it allows me to drag and drop, but the “save playlist as” option is always grayed out. 

Is the Fuze connected when you are trying to create the playlist? I don’t know why it’s telling you to do it in “Sync.” I just opened WMP and pretended to create a new playlist and it worked just fine.

Open WMP11, and under the “Library” tab click on the down arrow. A list of options appears and you want “Create Playlist.” A new panel opens on the right where you can add songs by dragging and dropping them. The “Save playlist as” remains grey until you add some songs. Make sure to save the playlist when done, then connect the player, then try the “Sync” tab.

I’ve been wanting to figure this out too.

I hate Sync and learned to avoid this mess years ago.  I do not want my Fuze to have the same files as my computer and vice-versa.

So it would be great to have a program that saw only the Fuze memory and made the playlist from there without even peeking at the C:drive.  I have a feeling it’s way more effort than it’s worth.  I use the GoList quite a bit to avoid all of this.

Sometimes I want to make a playlist for a party or event.  Perhaps the easiest thing is just to copy a bunch of files to a spare SD card and then stick that in for the party.  Problem is (and it’s the same problem with GoList) getting the songs in correct order.  That would take a good amount of time on MP3Tag.

@blackdog_sansa wrote:

Problem is (and it’s the same problem with GoList) getting the songs in correct order.  That would take a good amount of time on MP3Tag.

But not in Winamp. The free version wouold work just fine for playlists. Here’s how I do it.

Thanks tape.  Will check that out.

Been off the boards for a while.

BTW- are you a recording engineer?  (hence the TAPE-worm moniker?)

bd