How do I use the Sansa while docked?

I bought a Griffin dock for Sansa, I have a Fuze.  The dock works fine but any time the Sansa is plugged in it says “Connected” and won’t let me do anything with it.  I’m trying to play music while docked.  None of the buttons have any effect.  The unit has a stereo out on the back of it, what’s the point if the unit’s locked into a connected mode constantly while docked?  I must be missing something.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit: I have read threads where they say I should partially insert the USB connector so the power pins are connected and the data pins are not.  Sure enough I can play stuff and hear it but it’s data disabled.  I can’t transfer music to it if the data pins are disconnected.  I cant be under my desk fiddling with the USB jack to do one or the other.  Confused…

Message Edited by meshman on 06-01-2010 07:14 AM

Sorry, I should add I’m trying to play music while it’s docked.

No worries, I’ll clear up the confusion for you.  When the dock is connected to a USB Port on a PC, the Sansa assumes yoyu would like to transfer data, and it goes into a slave mode.  No operation via the controls is possible.

If you plug a 3.5mm connector plug into the rear port, you can play the audio signal from the Sansa via its dock port.  You will need to supply power only to the USB cable via an AC adaptor, or a cable modified with the two center (data) pins disabled.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I have an iPhone that sits in its dock, can do data transfers or play music without having to disconnect or have any other cables.  It’s a shame the Fuze doesn’t do this.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi

I just bought a Griffin dock for my Sansa Fuze, purely for the purpose of connecting it to my stereo using audio line-out (instead of standard headphone output). Obviously, it is being powered by a power adapter, not my PC.

But I get no audio from it! I have tried all USB settings (although that should not really matter for audio only), reformatting, reinstalling firmare (02.03.33), taking out SD card - nothing helps!

I am quite sure the dock is ok, because when I switch the Fuze on or off (whilst connected to the dock) it makes a slight popping noise in my speakers - so some kind of signal is obviously getting out.

If I connect the dock to my PC it will recharge and transfer data fine. The only problem is getting audio out to my stereo.

Any suggestions?

My dock

Message Edited by FLACtastic on 06-04-2010 11:15 AM

FLACtastic wrote:

But I get no audio from it! I have tried all USB settings (although that should not really matter for audio only), reformatting, reinstalling firmare (02.03.33), taking out SD card - nothing helps!

I am quite sure the dock is ok, because when I switch the Fuze on or off (whilst connected to the dock) it makes a slight popping noise in my speakers - so some kind of signal is obviously getting out.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but we’ve heard stranger things here . . . You’re sure the Fuze is set to PLAY, not PAUSE, right?

Tapeworm wrote: Don’t take this the wrong way, but we’ve heard stranger things here . . . You’re sure the Fuze is set to PLAY, not PAUSE, right?

Yes I am sure.  I remembered to switch it on first too. I also turned on my stereo, selected the appropriate auxiliary input, and turned up the volume. And my speakers were connected too. :expressionless:

:wink:

I should add that it plays fine when connected via the earphone output, just not via the dock.

Message Edited by FLACtastic on 06-06-2010 09:35 PM

Try the opposite:  with dock on power only (not connected to PC)  and LED lit

have fuse powered off, insert into dock, wait till it powers on, whilst in dock scroll to music and hit play

Also, try headphones into line-out on back of dock to see if its enabled

Message Edited by timn on 06-11-2010 05:03 PM