Horrible popping noises on two Fuzes

I bought a Fuze on August 1, and had it for a week and a half of problem-free operation.  Then, out of the blue, I started getting these horrible popping noises when I was listening to music.  Thinking that I simply had a bad Fuze, I returned it and exchanged it for a new one.  The same thing happened: I had it for a week and a half, and then my music would have popping noises in it.  Really unlistenable.

Now, I updated to the latest firmware before this happened, so it can’t be because of that.  I’ve seen posts on this forum saying that it’s the headphones’ fault, and I know that they aren’t the problem.  I use the equalizer to boost the bass, but not by much at all - if the equalizer is the problem (which I doubt), I’ll just get a different player (not an iPod or Zune, though).  I shouldn’t have to listen to music in an inferior way in order for my Fuze to work.

Please help me with this; apart from this, I love the Fuze and I would hate to replace it.

Message Edited by Stalvern on 08-28-2009 10:49 AM

Describe what U mean by “popping” please

Like when you blow on a microphone, only worse.

Are all your songs doing this? How about FM station? If its isolated to just the song/s what are thier file format and bitrate?

Did you try formatting the Fuze and reloading the songs back? Can be done under the Fuze’s settings. Listen to the song/s first on your computer before reloading them.

Does it occur only when u were scrolling the files while having music playback in the background ?

What bitrates are your songs? Which formats? You tried the players with a few different headphones? Your songs play okay on your pc? Does the radio play okay on your player? Which headphones have you tried with your player? Are you sure you are inserting the headphone plug all the way in?

@chux

>Did you try formatting the Fuze and reloading the songs back?

Yes.

@paleskin

>Does it occur only when u were scrolling the files with the music playing in the background?

No.  It’s completely random.

@jk98

>What bitrates are your songs?

Between 128 kb/s and 320 kb/s.  I’m pretty sure that they’re constant. 

>Which formats?

MP3, OGG, WAV, WMA, FLAC 

>You tried the players with a few different headphones?

I was using one pair when the last one failed, and I’m using a different pair at the moment.  They can’t be the problem, though, because I’ve used the current pair since I got the player, and the Fuze only just started acting up. 

>Your songs play okay on your pc?

Obviously, if I’m asking for help here.

>Does the radio play okay on your player?

I never listen to the radio on it; it has terrible reception indoors, and I’m always indoors.

>Which headphones have you tried with your player?

I don’t know the model names, but they’re Philips earbuds.

>Are you sure you are inserting the headphone plug all the way in?

Who wouldn’t?

“>Are you sure you are inserting the headphone plug all the way in? Who wouldn’t?”

LOL! Many wouldn’t, including myself! When the player is new, the headphone jack is very tight. Many people don’t push hard enough, and the plug isn’t fully inserted. I had problems with the sound on my Fuze until I realized the plug wasn’t fully inserted. Sometimes it take a bit of force to get the plug fully inserted when the player is new. The jack will loosen up a bit after the headphones are plugged in and unplugged a few times.

If that’s the case, I should have had popping noises from the beginning.

It doesn’t matter, though.  They’ve stopped!

EDIT:  After a bit of testing, it seems that you were right about the earbuds not being in all the way.  I guess that I was just careless at the time.

Message Edited by Stalvern on 08-29-2009 06:50 PM

Happens all the time!