Hold-function is intermittant

A month ago I downloaded new firmware (V2.03.33). All seemed to work well until a week ago. When I turned the hold funtion ON, the padlock display came on, but I could still change the volume, song, radio station, and use the menu button.

I reset the unit with a 20 second power-on. It went back to working as normal, but the problem returned when I powered the unit off and back on again.

Using the factory reset menu option, does not restore normal operation.

Lou.

Reset only resets preferences.

Manually reinstall the firmware. Don’t install the updater since there won’t be any more updates–just download the All Regions link for your hardware version (1 or 2),  unzip, drag Fuzea.bin onto the Sansa Fuze driveletter and it will reinstall the firmware after you disconnect.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Firmware-Update-01-02-31-amp-02-03-33/td-p/139175

Of course, it could also be a mechanical problem with the Hold switch, but this is worth a try.

@black_rectangle wrote:

Reset only resets preferences.

Manually reinstall the firmware. Don’t install the updater since there won’t be any more updates–just download the All Regions link for your hardware version (1 or 2),  unzip, drag Fuzea.bin onto the Sansa Fuze driveletter and it will reinstall the firmware after you disconnect.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Fuze/Sansa-Fuze-Firmware-Update-01-02-31-amp-02-03-33/td-p/139175

Of course, it could also be a mechanical problem with the Hold switch, but this is worth a try.

Well, I got the download to work, and V2.03.33 was upgraded again. Nothing changed.

I also tried downloading V1.02.31, but the Fuze did not upgrade to that version so I could not test for the same problem in that version. Is there some way for reverting to the V1 or an older V2 firmware?

I did note however, that the V2 file was named fuzpa.bin which I assume is for the Fuze plus. The V1 file was named Fuzea.bin.

V1 & v2 models are different hardware. That’s why there are 2 different firmware versions. You cannot install one on the other.

And no, the fuzpa.bin file is not for the Fuze+.

Sounds like it is a hardware problem. Time to look for a replacement player. Or use it without Hold.

@black_rectangle wrote:

Sounds like it is a hardware problem. Time to look for a replacement player. Or use it without Hold.

Yes, I guess so. I used that everyday for a year and nothing went wrong until a bit of snow landed onthe bottom of it while it was in my pocket. That’s just too fragile for my needs. Since It was a gift, I have no receipt and for $30 I can probably by an el-cheapo replacement. Pitty, because I liked the damned thing.

Thanks for your help.

@louarnold wrote:

@black_rectangle wrote:

Yes, I guess so. I used that everyday for a year and nothing went wrong until a bit of snow landed onthe bottom of it while it was in my pocket. That’s just too fragile for my needs. Since It was a gift, I have no receipt and for $30 I can probably by an el-cheapo replacement. Pitty, because I liked the damned thing.

Thanks for your help.

And yet we hear from people who have dropped theirs in a slushy, icey mud puddle, ran over it with a tractor and found it a month or so later in the field, and have forgot it in their pocket and sent it through not only the washer but also the dryer and they still work perfectly.

Fragile? Hardly.

How exactly does a “bit” of snow end up in your pocket anyway? If the snow got in through the bottom USB port, and you didn’t take the time to properly dry it out you’re lucky the only thing not working correctly is the HOLD button.

@louarnold wrote:

I used that everyday for a year and nothing went wrong until a bit of snow landed onthe bottom of it while it was in my pocket. That’s just too fragile for my needs.

And yet we hear from people who have dropped theirs in a slushy, icey mud puddle, ran over it with a tractor and found it a month or so later in the field, and have forgot it in their pocket and sent it through not only the washer but also the dryer and they still work perfectly.

Fragile? Many would disagree.

If a “bit” of snow got in through the bottom USB port with the player in yor pocket, and you didn’t take the time (usually several days) to properly dry it out before powering it back up, you’re probably lucky the only thing not working correctly is the HOLD button. You’ve still got a perfectly good, working player (except for the HOLD/LOCK function).

Gift or not, receipt or not, mis-use or an accident such as this wouldn’t be covered under anyones’ warranty.