High Volume Stuttering

The problem I described earlier happened again today.  I was adjusting the volume just as one track ended, and when the next one started, it was as if the player was set at full volume, even though the volume meter on the screen was probably at 1/4 or 1/3.   Attempting to turn it down did nothing to the sound, even though the volume bar on the display functioned properly.  I unplugged my headphones, skipped to the next song, and everything was fine after that. 

Hopefully the cause of this weird glitch is discovered soon; if it happens much more I might start to lose my hearing! :stuck_out_tongue:

jmr, I just had the sudden high volume thing happen to me.  It was coming out full blast even after the display was showing mute.  I had just skipped to the next song.  I’m grateful that I didn’t have my Shures plugged in, definitely would’ve damaged my hearing.  

I have my volume setting set to normal from the default high (duno if that makes a difference).  Firmware version is v1.01.15a.

I’m not touching this stupid thing until they fix this.

@loopty wrote:

jmr, I just had the sudden high volume thing happen to me.  It was coming out full blast even after the display was showing mute.  I had just skipped to the next song.  I’m grateful that I didn’t have my Shures plugged in, definitely would’ve damaged my hearing. 

I’m kind of glad that it isn’t an isolated issue with my player.  Hopefully it gets fixed soon.  

A thought: did you touch a control key just as the Fuze was loading the next track?

I am curious, as perhaps we have a keyboard interrupt issue at work.  Normally, the device will “freeze” from responding to inputs as the file is loaded, for a second or two.

Perhaps we’re triggering a problem with a key press (or wheel rotation- the device sees that too) at just the wrong moment… 

I’m juggling the wee Fuze, trying to cause a hiccup at the moment.

Bob  :wink:

I just played with it quite a bit.  I was able to reproduce it about 6 times but it’s hard to get the timing right.  I’m turning the wheel counter clockwise (volume down) and pressing right (skip foward) at the same time in one motion.  It goes to the next song and volume is beyond what the max setting can do (mine has the volume set to normal).  It stays at that volume for 8 to 9 seconds before it goes back to normal.  Sometimes the display freezes also.

I wasn’t able to get it to do it rotating the wheel clockwise but that might just be my fingers.

Let’s see if anyone else can reproduce it doing what I did, or come up with a new procedure.  Don’t do this with the headphones in/on your ears.   If it screws up you’ll definitely hear it.

IMO, Don’t do that then!  George

George, that is a work around but not a long term solution.  We came across this by accident.  No one intends to damage their hearing.  I shouldn’t have to pay special attention every time I want to skip forward a song.  The machine serves us, not the other way around.

Loopty,

Just my dry sense humor! Kind a like the one that goes, Doctor It hurts when I do this and the doctor will say well don’t do that!!  But your right this is nothing to kid about!! George

Sorry, I have yet to develop a sense of humor.  :smiley:

@loopty wrote:

I’m turning the wheel counter clockwise (volume down) and pressing right (skip foward) at the same time in one motion.

That’s exactly it.  I wasn’t able to reproduce the glitch intentionally (I guess my timing is off), but I did somehow manage to trigger it without even trying. Thankfully I skipped into a song with a really quiet intro!

the volume increase (actually a decrease of the midrange [vocal]) just happened to me too. rotating the headphone jack solved the issue. but I can reproduce it by rotating the jack just right. bummer. wonder if the headphone receptacle or the jack is wearing. have only pulled out and pushed in the jack a handful of times since ownership (3 months).

this might go together with the newly created headphone wear thread. 

noki 

The EXACT same thing happened to me today, several times. I have anxiety so it scares the **bleep** out of me and makes me just want to throw the Sansa on the ground. I hope a fix for this is figured out soon, I can’t handle this much longer…I don’t know how the hell it does this, I turn the volume down all the way and sound is still coming out of the ear phoens at what seems like full volume. It’s getting rather annoying…

I noticed that the stuttering always and only happens on really old .mp3 files I have.

(And on all my headphones, from 30 ohm to 300 ohm with amp, but much louder on 30 ohm ones.)

Probably all of victim files are 3+ years old and had been transfered from devices to devices again and again.

This stuttering yet haven’t happened to my .flac and newer mp3 files.

Message Edited by Palpalapa on 12-10-2008 06:00 PM

I could replicate the problem with the old firmware. Once I upgraded, I could not get my Fuze to stutter. One thing about the Fuze, it has a wonderful sound processor and amp, BUT it is somewhat underpowered in the CPU department. Hence the low frame rates for video.

I cannot recreate the rapid volume change many of you are experiencing but I have noticed the shutter. It sounds like an “overmodulation” (this is what I know it as) where the input volume is louder than what the processor can handle. The best way I can relate this is to having multiple windows open on your computer and it freezing up because it cannot handle the load. In radio when you hear a sports caster go nuts and his voice starts to break up this is why, he is too loud and the system can’t handle it. I am going to try to turn down the source volume  (the songs volume outside of the fuze) and resync and see if it works. Ill let you know. If anybody can get to this before Friday (when I will be able to) please let me know.

I posted a few days ago about the shuttering issues, and said I would turn down the source volume and see if that helped. My results were not conclusive. I turned down the songs that had shuttering and this fixed the problem in only about 50% of the tracks. So I dont know what to do

Did you update the firmware? New firmware is out as of Friday v01.01.22. I can’t help but wonder if this would fix you issues! George

Tried before and after… I had the same thought… Metal and the fuze may have some issues

I had the exact same problem with ear shattering sound for a few seconds. I did nothing but turn it on. I thought something was wrong with the volume, and when i tried to turn it down, the volume wouldnt change. Hitting pause on the player also did not stop the immediately. It took maybe 2 more seconds. This is the 2nd time this happened to me. At first I thought it was caused by a pair of what was already broken headphones. However, this time, I was using my a pair I never had problems with and it seems other people have the same problem. My fuze is also updated to the latest firmware. Hopefully a sansa rep can see this thread and fix it in the next firmware as this is a big problem.

just found this thread

just managed to “initialise” this mode within 1 hour of playing with my new Fuze (after loading latest firmware)

thanks Sandisk for the blast to my ears - this is a serious fault - and I’m strongly considering returning mine even though sound quality is excellent

Mark.