Help needed(Once again) Fuze or View?

hey guys,

Okay guys I had a SanDisk Sansa Fuze.It broke,because I was careless with it.It was my fault actually!The player worked very awesome and it served my purpose well(The Fuze).I am planning on buying another SanDisk product and I am wondering whether I should go with the View or the Fuze.Can someone tell me whether there are any faults or glitches I should be aware about on the View?And what does the View have that the Fuze doesn’t?Please reply me back ASAP when you can :) 

Thanks,

SR. 

The View has a larger screen and supports “digital copy” movies transferred from select DVDs. It also has problems that may never be fixed (the last View firmware update was almost two years ago, I believe). If you simply MUST have your “digital copies” and you want a Sansa, get the View. Otherwise, get a Fuze.

SR-rox wrote:

hey guys,

Okay guys I had a SanDisk Sansa Fuze.It broke,because I was careless with it.It was my fault actually!The player worked very awesome and it served my purpose well(The Fuze).I am planning on buying another SanDisk product and I am wondering whether I should go with the View or the Fuze.Can someone tell me whether there are any faults or glitches I should be aware about on the View?And what does the View have that the Fuze doesn’t?Please reply me back ASAP when you can :) 

Thanks,

SR. 

The View ■■■■■, plain and simple…and it has been years since SanDisk issued a firmware update for  it. What does it have that the Fuze doesn’t? A bigger screen, and the ability to play back its video on a TV with a certain cable. Of course, the sound quality of the View ■■■■■ compared to the Fuze.

Unless you are really attached to watching videos, I would even go so far as to suggest the Clip+…it’sthe newest model, sounds great, has gapless playback, and is most likely to continue to receive updates, since it is the newest. If you must have the ability to watch a video, then get a Fuze…but avoid the View at all costs.

Thanks guys :slight_smile: You people ROCK!!Okay I just gave up on the View.And Yeah I need the ability to watch Videos.But not very keen on watching them in super quality.LOL!Anyway is there any chance of the fuze getting a new update and also getting Gapless PlayBack?And will there be a new SANSA Product just around the corner?

SR 

SR-rox wrote:

Thanks guys :slight_smile: You people ROCK!!Okay I just gave up on the View.And Yeah I need the ability to watch Videos.But not very keen on watching them in super quality.LOL! Anyway is there any chance of the fuze getting a new update and also getting Gapless PlayBack?And will there be a new SANSA Product just around the corner?

SR 

I think that since they figured out gapless for the Clip+, it should be possible for the Fuze. As far as a new Sansa around the corner, who knows? Remember last year, when we all were clamoring for the long overdue update to the original Clip and suddenly , the Clip+ appeared? I wouldn’t be surprised if we end up surprised again, the same way. It’s time they came out with a Fuze that has mre than 8GB internal…16GB internal memory with a card slot would make the Fuze much more competitivein the marketplace…I know I’d sure consider getting one.

It is to Sansa’s credit that they did do an update recently to the original Clip though, adding support for ReplayGain (which is awesome!)

Okay Get your point Marvin.I think I’ll be hanging out for a little more time hoping SanDisk would come out with anther marvel cause then I’D BUY THAT!Gapless is not much of an issue for me.I’d still live with or without it so if everything fails.It’s another SanDisk Sansa Fuze!!!

Thanks Marvin.You really helped me clear ma mind

SR 

The Clip+'s new feature was the uSD slot, which, if one were to wax cynical, was primarily to cater to Sandisk’s SlotXYZ project. One may infer same from Sandisk’s insistence on getting their Updater software onto your system (“No getting the fabulous SMC if you don’t have Updater installed!”). Every time you run it, you get a “Please look at our great Slot-blah-blah wares!” ad in your face.

The Slot beeswax aside, the chance of seeing an upgraded Fuze is a tad problematic. The filesystem used in Fuze/Clip isn’t viable for larger capacities. It is barely tolerable now, when you have to wait many minutes after disconnecting from the PC to use your player. While it may be optimized, I don’t think any such can reduce the downtime by at least an order of magnitude, which is what the competition offers. It needs an overhaul.

My SWAG on the reason for Sandisk’s weird database scheme is the need to accomodate both MTP and MSC on the same media. MTP is a necessity for protected content, and MSC is needed per Sandisk’s desire for people to use the players also as storage devices.

But neutron_bob was making noises about tweaking the database a while ago for better speed, so may be such is in the offing for future models. With the View’s abandonment, Sandisk does need a replacement to face against the low-end Nano, so I’d expect any upgraded model to have similar features. The question is whether they have the willingness to compete at the mid-range, which is becoming increasingly popular as they come down in price. Again, per neutron_bob’s (and other Sandisk emps’) comment of “Sansa is Sandisk’s hobby”, probably not any time soon.

Right now isn’t a good to buy new gadgets, regardless. It’s the dead time of the year. If you want to best the best bang per buck, or if you’re an early adopter, then late summer (in time for back-to-school) and fall/winter is when the action is at.

Of course, if you need it now, then buy it now.

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 05:44 PM

I was looking at other brands of players, and couldn’t find any models that I felt were a better value than the Fuze or Clip+. The other brands seem to lack a separate podcast area, and autoresume for more than one file.

This is an issue for those who use a player for music and podcasts, and would like to be able to resume their podcast, even if they listen to some music before turning off the player.

I would like to see some Sandisk models with a full sized SDXC card slot that have an option to disable tag browsing, thus eliminating database update time after a card is switched, or files are added or deleted. I would also like to see these players have a hot swappable card slot, with the player being able to function properly if the card swapped without turning it off.

Re: Gapless - It’s probably not widely known that both the MP4 and MKV containers (which can be used for audio as well as video) can accommodate chapter points. It’s a simple step to translate a CD’s cue sheet into an acceptable chapter format. With such, all of this angst about “will it or won’t it support gapless” will go the way of the dodo. You want lyrics? How about liner notes? Built-in video too? No problemo. It’s just another stream.

The fly in the ointment is that current software players, including all portables, treat MP4/MKV as video containers, rather than as catch-all containers that will work with pretty much anything. Give it another few years before the mainstream catches up with techieland.