Help Wanted- A Possibly stupid mistake

Okay, if I post this after someone replies to my other one, sorry…

Anyway, I got that dreaded white screen, and I searched for an answer, and came to the conclusion to format it via PC. I’m pretty sure it said it was unable to complete it. That is what the computer said. I just tried it again, and it said the same thing… again. I canceled the little format window and it said “Drive F cannot be formatted.”

What am I supposed to do?

connect to pc and update to the latest firmware

It won’t let me drag and drop it into the Fuze. In fact, I don’t think it knows it’s a Fuze anymore. This scares me.

Sorry to sound impatient, but please, I need to know what to do. I think my computer messd it up, and I don’t know what to do.

Did you try a soft reboot at any point? Hold the power switch in the off position for 20 seconds or so, then let go and try to turn it on.  Does the Fuze show up as a drive when you connect it to your computer?  If so, you could also try reinstalling the firmware following the instructions here:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=23276

Yes, I did. It shuts off like it’s normal, well, it used to. I tried reinstalling V01.01.26 and even V01.01.22 and niether worked. So I formatted it through the computer (fully) and it said it was unable to format the device. So today, I tried it again to see if it would work, and it did the same thing: It almost made it, and at the very end, it gave me that message. There was nothing displayed in the drive, so I tried to put the firmware on it, manually, and it gave me a message that I couldn’t. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t know it’s a Fuze anymore.

Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 04-27-2009 05:21 PM

This may be a dumb question, so forgive me if it is. You’ve posted about your problem(s) in so many different threads I can’t remember if you said, and I’m not going to search through all of them to find out, but are you sure you are trying to install the firmware for your particular hardware version? Rev. 1 vs. Rev. 2?

And you did say you tried the ‘forced’ MSC mode (following my instructions exactly) and it would not complete the format, right? If you’re sure the player was not in MTP mode, and you’re sure you’re attempting to put the correct firmware on it, and neither is working, then I think it’s time for either more expert help or a new unit. You’ve fiddled with this long enough.

1-866-Sandisk (726-3475). If they can’t get you up & running, then at least they can get you started on a replacement with an RMA#.

This may be a dumb question, so forgive me if it is. You’ve posted about your problem(s) in so many different threads I can’t remember if you said, and I’m not going to search through all of them to find out, but are you sure you are trying to install the firmware for your particular hardware version? Rev. 1 vs. Rev. 2?

And you did say you tried the ‘forced’ MSC mode (following my instructions exactly) and it would not complete the format, right? If you’re sure the player was not in MTP mode, and you’re sure you’re attempting to put the correct firmware on it, and neither is working, then I think it’s time for either more expert help or a new unit. You’ve fiddled with this long enough.

1-866-Sandisk (726-3475). If they can’t get you up & running, then at least they can get you started on a replacement with an RMA#.

If, by chance Tech Support gives you some advice or has you do something that we haven’t thought of and your Fuze comes back to life, please report back and share what it was that worked. It certainly could be helpful for others. :wink:

Yes, it is revision 1, and I made sure it was that. I put in MSC mode (it showed up with drives F and G, not SANSA FUZE). I think I will call Sandisk and I am sorry about posting this in so many different threads, but I was trying to see if there was any hope for it.

Oh, and I am now a Sansa Senior User. Does that have something to do with how many posts I make?

Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 04-27-2009 06:28 PM

@saxmaster765 wrote:

Yes, it is revision 1, and I made sure it was that. I put in MSC mode (it showed up with drives F and G, not SANSA FUZE). I think I will call Sandisk and I am sorry about posting this in so many different threads, but I was trying to see if there was any hope for it.

Good. I was just double-checking. Tell them (SanDisk Tech Support) you’ve stumped the Gurus on the forum. :smileyvery-happy:

Good Luck! Like I said, they’ll either be able to fix it, or get you a new one. Either way, it’s all good.

Good. Unfortunatly, this will possibly be the second Fuze I had returned. The first one I had was a lemon, and the second one (this one) was almost perfect and worked perfectly. I’ll tell them:wink:

Message Edited by saxmaster765 on 04-27-2009 06:59 PM

I called Sandisk, and the guy tried to do a couple of things that did not work (connecting it it MSC mode) and he pretty much said there was no hope for it, and now I have to return it for a third Fuze (oh, well). I told them I stumped the Gurus on the forums, and they asked for the number on the back.

@saxmaster765 wrote:
I called Sandisk, and the guy tried to do a couple of things that did not work (connecting it it MSC mode) and he pretty much said there was no hope for it, and now I have to return it for a third Fuze (oh, well). I told them I stumped the Gurus on the forums, and they asked for the number on the back.

It’s kinda hard for me turn my head around enough to see clearly looking in a mirror, but I don’t see any numbers on my back.

Okay…:smileyvery-happy:

Well, that’s over. I wonder if I could acually keep a Fuze for very long.

@tapeworm wrote:

@saxmaster765 wrote:

It’s kinda hard for me turn my head around enough to see clearly looking in a mirror, but I don’t see any numbers on my back.

"The number …is six hundred and sixty-six (666) " Run away! Run away!!!

Sorry Tape…I couldn’t resist! :stuck_out_tongue:

Kudos to all who name that tune!