Guess what?

Guess what I have in my hands right now?

No, it is not the keyboard.

No, it is not THAT!

Yes, it is a Fuze.

But, guess what? I was to download firmware 31, and I read how to determin if Fuze is revision 1 or 2.

GUess what? Mine says V2.02.26P…

I suppose this means my Fuze is not V1 but V2? :frowning:

I was cheated, seller swared me it was V1! I told me “look, I was told that V1 is better, more resistent body, more stable firmware, and I can install Rockbox and I want Rockbox”.

He told me it was V1…

WHat should I do now? Return my new Fuze tomorrow? See if he has got a V1 and if not renounce to Fuze?

Please, could you tell me mre of the real differences between v2 and v1?

Why v1 is better?

What do I lose with V2?

ANd WHY CANNOT A **bleep**ING SELLER BE HONEST; ONCE IN THEIR LIFE; WHY ALL THE SELLER I HAVE EVER MET ARE ENORMOUS BASTARDS?

I am angry!!!
I wanted V1!!!

Message Edited by San_Discolo on 01-27-2010 07:13 PM

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:33 PM

Well, your seller is a useless human being, and you could take it back,  but…

You wanted a good music player–you’ve got one.

The exterior of the v2 Fuze is physically the same as the v1. It’s not more fragile at all.

And for use as a music player, you really don’t need anything from Rockbox–it is all extras.  You even have .ogg and .flac playback in the firmware already. As I said, I’ve taken Rockbox off my v1 because I don’t need anything it does.

For what it’s worth, you might want to leave the x.x.26 firmware there.  It was ONLY the .28 that was the problem firmware–it had a bad bug with Replay Gain–but .28 is gone now. But if you are in Europe, and install Europe as your region when you upgrade, then the .31 lowers the volume to conform to European law (unless you choose Rest of the World as your Region). Meanwhile   the .26 works fine. 

You can look at the bug fixes in the firmware upgrade page and see if any of the improvements to .31 are important to you.

Put the Fuze in MSC mode, drag over some music, and enjoy the sound.  

And give Rockbox time…sooner or later they will get the v2 Fuze version working. 

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 01-27-2010 08:00 PM

Well, other than Rockbox for the time being, there isn’t anything really wrong with a v2.  Your Lil’ Monsta will serve you well.  I would load her up with music next.  Get a feel for the interface, and the controls.

I haven’t managed to “break” the new .31 firmware, and it’s quite stable.  With the latest, ReplayGain (if you elect to use it) works well.  The biggest advantage for my personal use is the video functions.  With the earlier firmware, if you shut down the device while a video was playing, it would hang.

Video resume is also missing with the .26 build.  It is restored with .28 and .31.

You can play OGG, FLAC, WMA, MP3, AA, and AAX files with the Fuze, very nice indeed.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by San_Discolo on 01-29-2010 07:02 PM

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:34 PM

Ok, ok, I have been too dramatic…

Let´s give it a shake…

Somebody told something about Europe and firmware and volume. Yes, I have read about that. I use IEM, so it should not be an issue, but anyway, when I first turned it on I have choosen “rest of the world” (which sounded challenging). 

Good like that?

:slight_smile:

@tomjensen wrote:
Mine is bigger than yours…

We in Italy say “good wine is in little barrel”…

Message Edited by San_Discolo on 01-27-2010 09:10 PM

So that’s where the EU thing comes from… Good sound in little volume…

Ok, new! I called the seller and I told “Hey! I  had asked for a V1, telling that I need Rockbox. You told me it was a V1, but it is a V2. You shopuld change my V2 for a V1 or refund me”.

Obviously, I will not give it back if no V1 is available, but he told me they would have checked their stock.

So, coming back to the issue, a quick resume of the real and presumed and supposed and imaginary difference between V1 and V2 would be great.

Till now, it seems that they are the same.

But, if they are the same, why should SanDisk bother to spend money for investigation and research to make a new version of Fuze which is identical to the other one?

1. To make it cheaper for them? Mmm, and without loosing anything of the original quality? Mmm…

2. Or it was to make it better?

Until now I know:

V1 pros:supports Rockbox (better EQ, games, and no idea what more - Saratoga! Help!)

V2 pros:someone (sorry, forgot name) wrote that it has got better basses. Mine is quite bassy indeed, very good.

Now, anyone could find a real reason to prefer V1 over V2?

I can choose, I have one more opportunity to make it right. Need some more elements…

Someone told that one of the two had more battery life. I guess the V2, as it was the same guy of better basses.

Considering that I am not totally happy with the “Normal” EQ prest on my Fuze, and the Jazz one is a bit too cold, and I spend all the time passing from one to the other because I can’t get a good personalized preset, well, may I maybe get what I need from V1 (or from ROckbox)?

I am all ears… Or al leyes, you decide…

:slight_smile:

For some reason, the custom equalizer, 5, 0, 1, 5, 10, and maybe tweaking it here and there makes nearly all earphones sound much better on the Fuze.  I found that somewhere on the abi website.  The stock earphones don’t sound that bad either with that combination, except it’s 8, 0, 1, 5, 12.

I have a V1 Fuze but didn’t Rockbox it since with Rockbox typical battery life playing mp3 files is just 15 hours vs 20 hours with the Sandisk firmware. Enjoy your V2 Fuze.

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:33 PM

What is DRM? I have reqd thqt Rockbox unables USB but I do not understand what does it means. If it unable USB how can I charge the battery or put music on Fuze?

If I install RB and then I want to use the OF I need to uninstall RB?

May I ask you something? Can you please listen to the same song with same earbuds and same EQ settings (Normal and Jazz ones) on both devices and tell me if you notice any difference?

It is a pity that you never tried RB, I would have liked to have more specific information on how it improves the sound with its EQ settings…

Anyway, let me explain something: my main doubt is not RB, because I hope that soon they will release a RB for Fuze V2. (Saratoga?)

My main fear is that I cannot understand why SanDisk made a V2 if there is no improvement over V1. No bug fixed? No SQ improved? No functions qdded or improved? No reliqbility or batterylife or whatever else improved? Why did they bother to change something if nothing changed?

I am scared that they just wanted to make a Fuze with lower production costs. And I am not sure that they were able to do it without losing any of the V1 qualities or even better improving some of them… If theywere, well, theyare very good… A more simple and cheaper hardware, not depending on an external chipset provider (if I understoodwell), without losing any SQ or functions of V1 and possibly improving some things. Cool.

But; is it like that?

I hoped that more people at this point would have tested both versions and were able to talk about diferences.

But till now, nobody said anything about why V1 should be better than V2 other than RB capabilities (which I had no time to study, so I ignore what they add).

And the strangest thing is that nobody can find a single reason why V2 should be better than V1. Well, a guy on ABI said that V2 has got more basses and better battery life (but mine last 15 hours, maybe because it needs to be used for a while).

Now, if RB gives the sound I am looking for, vibrant and warm as Vé Normal EQ setting and at same time open and bright as V2 Jazz EQ setting, and if V2 is not better than V1 on anything and V1 is not worse than V2 on anything, then I have no reasons to wait for a RB for V2. I take V1.

But if I find out that V2 has improved something over V1 and that it has not lost anything over V1, than I keep V2 and I will write a PM to Saratoga each day, asking if RB for Vé is ready or not…

Saratoga, I guess, will give me now some reason to prefer V1, ahahah!

San_Discolo wrote:
What is DRM?

Digital Rights Management 

I have reqd thqt Rockbox unables USB but I do not understand what does it means. If it unable USB how can I charge the battery or put music on Fuze?

When you plug into your computer, it will automatically boot into the Sansa firmware, allowing music transfer and charging.

No.

May I ask you something? Can you please listen to the same song with same earbuds and same EQ settings (Normal and Jazz ones) on both devices and tell me if you notice any difference?

Ten people could do this, and you’d end up with 10 differnet answers. All that matters is what you hear and prefer. And there’s only 1 way to determine that. 

Anyway, let me explain something: my main doubt is not RB, because I hope that soon they will release a RB for Fuze V2. (Saratoga?)

Someday maybe, but it won’t be anytime soon. 

My main fear is that I cannot understand why SanDisk made a V2 if there is no improvement over V1. No bug fixed? No SQ improved? No functions qdded or improved? No reliqbility or batterylife or whatever else improved? Why did they bother to change something if nothing changed?

The 2 versions function identically. No difference (despite what soome may claim). Different vendors for internal components and/or availability issues was the only reason. Happens more than you’d think with a lot of different products; not just Sansa mp3 players.

But if I find out that V2 has improved something over V1 and that it has not lost anything over V1, than I keep V2 and I will write a PM to Saratoga each day, asking if RB for Vé is ready or not…

I’ll bet he’ll just love that.

Quit obsessing over stuff that doesn’t matter and just enjoy the player you got. :smiley:

San_Discolo wrote:
What is DRM?

I have reqd thqt Rockbox unables USB but I do not understand what does it means. If it unable USB how can I charge the battery or put music on Fuze?

When you plug into your computer, it will automatically boot into the Sansa firmware, allowing music transfer and charging.

No.

Ten people could do this, and you’d end up with 10 differnet answers. All that matters is what you hear and prefer. And there’s only 1 way to determine that. 

The 2 versions function identically. No difference (despite what soome may claim). Different vendors for internal components and/or availability issues was the only reason. Happens more than you’d think with a lot of different products; not just Sansa mp3 players.

Quit obsessing over stuff that doesn’t matter and just enjoy the player you got. :smiley:

Tapeworm wrote:

San_Discolo wrote:
What is DRM?

No.

Quit obsessing over stuff that doesn’t matter and just enjoy the player you got.:smiley:

+1…for the sake of all our sanity.:dizzy_face:

I compared the SQ of a V1 and a Clip+, which AFAIK has the same exact SoC as the V2, and the Clip+ has more Bass and is slighty more pushed together and warmer, the V1 is more precise and spread-out. I prefer the V1’s SQ, many prefer the V2’s. Enjoy!

Sorry. but in my experience the Clip+ does not sound the same as the V2. It may just be the weaker headphone output, but even with matching voume the Clip+ did not sound as three-dimensional as the Fuze, and there was a noticeable bump in the midrange to boost vocals.

The v2 is not a downgrade. It’s a different use of hardware to accomplish the same thing. That means a lot to Rockbox, but little or nothing to what is coming out of your headphones. 

And please don’t pester Saratoga. The more time he spends reading your messages, the less time he has to work on the v2 version of Rockbox.   Unless, of course, he gets so annoyed he decides to work instead on Rockbox for one of the many, many other devices out there instead. 

I don’t think Saratoga has a V2 Fuze or is working on porting Rockbox to it. I might be wrong though.

As far as a Fuze V2 port of Rockbox being ready, just keep an eye on www.rockbox.org (the main page) or the ‘new port’ forums there.