Good earphones for the gym?

Hi,

Need help with earphones for the gym. I have a CREATIVE EP-630, but they produce too much cord-noise. It’s a bit annoying.

Any suggestions?

Here’s a review of several types

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=4088&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 

If that thread doesn’t help, what specifics do you want in them?  Cheap? Noise Resistant?  Long cord?  In the ear?  Over the ear?

I use the Sennheiser twist-to-fit style of 'phones. I find they stay put, sound good, the cord stays out of my way, and the neon green color is easy to find in my dark gym bag. :wink:

I also have the Sennheiser twist-to-fit earphones - and they stay put well, but I have to say that they don’t maintain Sennheiser’s high reputation for sound quality. They sound kinda tinny. I use them for running, but I may put them aside for my next run . . .

The next time I go out for a run, I’m going to try my Lenntek Sonix canalphones, which seem to be a great complement to my Sansas. Normally, though, in ear headphones aren’t recommended for running because they do such a good job at blocking outside noise - like an oncoming car.

Thanks for the replies, guyz! So Sennheisers are the recommended ones?!

I really like my Shure SE110s with the foam buds.  Nicely sound isolating; at work they have to hit me with a whiffle bat (provided) to get my attention.

I must be the only one that likes the stock Sansas!  I really think they are OK.  I also have a pPair of ten-dollar Panasonics that I think are fine.  Of course the Shure in-ear-monitors and products like that are going to be significantly better, but when it’s ten dollars compared to $150 or more…well, in these trying times, that ain’t no decision.

Yes, it’s hard to beat free, and I don’t have anything against the stock buds.

But the Shure’s are less expensive than you think.  I paid less than $70 for the SE110s on Amazon. 

Any in-ear skull candy earphones except for the ink’d ones because when the cord hits something, you can hear it hitting something. but otherwise, all skullcandies are good.

@nissanskyline wrote:
Any in-ear skull candy earphones except for the ink’d ones because when the cord hits something, you can hear it hitting something. but otherwise, all skullcandies are good.

The ink’d were a step up from the stock buds, but I wouldn’t call them awesome.:wink:

theyre good for songs with bass like a milli, drop it like its hot

Sures…haven’t seen those yet anywhere in my howetown of Eindhoven.

I guess will have to go the larger cities like Amsterdam or Rotterdam to see if they’ve them there.

Thanks again!

I have to retract my suggested recommendation of the Lenntek Sonix or other IEM’s for running.

Yesterday I ran 5 miles using the Sonix in ear phones (like the Shure’s in that regard).  They sounded great, much better than my Sennheisers - but blocked out sound so much that I could have been hit by a car if I didn’t see it.  Also - one earbud fell out twice, and I had to keep adjusting them.  On the other hand, the fabric cable provided next to no cable noise.

I went back to my Sennheiser Twist to Fit earbuds today, and while the sound quality wasn’t as high - they fit much more comfortably.  I didn’t have to touch them once to get them to stay in place.  They were secure.  Part of the problem is that the position that they lock into place - isn’t exactly over my eardrum.  I think the ideal running earphones would have the twist to fit feature, coupled with an extension that fits into the ear canal.

In short - for now, the best recommendation I can give for running are the Sennheisers.  The Sonix or Shures (any IEM’s, really) would probably be adequate for weight lifting and such.

I must be the only one that likes the stock Sansas!  I really think they are OK.  I also have a pPair of ten-dollar Panasonics that I think are fine.  Of course the Shure in-ear-monitors and products like that are going to be significantly better, but when it’s ten dollars compared to $150 or more…well, in these trying times, that ain’t no decision.

blackdog-sansa,

the problem with the bundled earphones that I experimented was that they didn’t fit right in my ears and therefor provided poor noise isolation. the slightest sound overcame my music and I couldn’t hear it until it stoped or I moved away. so I bought some new ones.