Giving Up On The Fuze

I am posting this to let SanDisk know that I am giving up on the Fuze that I have. The blank white screen stays no matter what I do. Having read through all the posts concerning white screens I have given up hope for the little player. I have a few Clips which still work after all this time, but the Fuze is a subpar product.

The Fuze was an excellent product, except that the wheel might start sticking from time to time, however that was not hard to remedy. These players don’t last forever though. If you got over 5 good years of use from your Fuze, then you did very well. The average lifespan of an mp3 player under $100 is probably somewhere around 30 months.

Yeah, me too… The ribbon cable thingy that connects the wheel to the plalyer got bent and broke, which renders the sansa fuze useless. 

I now have to bear with a dirt cheap player (that still gets the job done) but I miss my dear sansa fuze :confused:

Get a new cable insure some out there has used or new cables you may be able to still order it from Sansa they still sell their headphones I think

@Junkeagle -

KoshkaKot is referring to the internal ribbon cable to the dispoaly screen, not head/earphone cables. the only way to acquire one is to buy  DOA unit from eBay, etc. and slavage one. But the miniscule size and hair-thin wires make it a daunting task to change them; they are not meant to be replaced.

I have been using Fuzes since they first came out after the disastrous View (I also have a couple of old E-series that still work perfectly). I was for a number of years a studio guitar player and have some training in recording engineering. I have been forced to develop an excellent ear (to my bank account’s discomfiture :wink: ). When Sandisk announced they were discontinuing the Fuze for the less desirable Fuze+, I bought a half-dozen to be sure of a long supply. So far, in that 10 years, 2 have experienced intermittent difficulty with one track in their headphone jacks (difficult, but not impossible to fix due to construction of the jack). I still pick up a used Fuze whenever I can find one in good condition for a price of $125.00 or less (I currently have 8 8GB models with class 10 64GB microSD cards). I recently compared one of my original Fuzes with the most expensive iPods using Stax SR-009 studio reference “earspeakers” ($3,825.00 with a Stax SRM-727II ($1,600) non-feedback output stage (driver) at a friend’s recording studio. The Fuze beat every iPod, even the most expensive, by a mile. Apple has never gotten the bass correct. Last year, I had also compared it to high-end mp3 players costing from $300.00 to $2,000 using my own BeyerDynamics DT-770 and DT-990 headsets and borrowed Audeze LCD-3 headphones (a steal on Amazon at $2,793.00 including an iFi micro iDSD Black Label Edition DAC/amplifier & a higher-end player). The most expensive are better than the Fuze, but the difference was not as great as I expected until I got well over the $1,000 mark in players… For those who don’t particularly admire the Fuze, keep a periodic eye on eBay. Whenever a brand new Fuze still in its bubble pack is offered, it typically sells for from $300.00 to $800.00. And all sell quickly. There is a significant Fuze following (perhaps heavy with musicians & serious listeners) who recognize it as the remarkable player it is (especially for the original price) and are even willing to pay the price of a high-end player favored by audiophiles with a well-developed ear and deep pockets or professional musicians or recording engineers.

@jk98 wrote:

The Fuze was an excellent product, except that the wheel might start sticking from time to time, however that was not hard to remedy. These players don’t last forever though. If you got over 5 good years of use from your Fuze, then you did very well. The average lifespan of an mp3 player under $100 is probably somewhere around 30 months.

The only problem is that SanDisk in it’s wisdom?!? discontinued the Fuze & replaced it with the touch-based Fuze+, a PITA to keep from touching accidently when not intending to.  Today, you can still get a very good used Fuze, if you are lucky, for $80.00 to $125.00 on eBay or Amazon or other websites. But, if you find a new one, still in it’s original package, expect to pay at least $300.00 and as much as $800.00 for it. The incredible rise in the value of an original Fuze should speak eloquently for its desirability, since these prices lift it out of the inexpensive class of mp3 player and into the range of top-class players. The Click+ is a pretty good unit and, even though it supposedly doesn’t support PLA playlists, you can still create them if you right-click on the album’s folder.  Since I use the Click+ only for audiobooks and reformat the .mp3 files into half-hour ‘chapters,’ this is convenient (set the player’s Audiobook Settings option for Chaptering to ON) and keep all of the audiobook folders in the player’s Audiobook folder, and the PLA playlists in the Playlist folder.

Buy used Fuze players - even ones in less than desirable condition - as parts sources.