German Texts

Well, I saw the discussion about hebrew rtl font and so on… and I thought I can say something about the german localization. It does have a few “glitches”, that seem a little strange and make it look a little unprofessional compared to competing products. On the other hand changing this few strings should not be a lot of work:

In empty lists, it displays “<Leeg>”. Correct would be “<Leer>”.

In main menu and music playback submenu the text for voice is “Sprach”. Correct would be “Sprache”. Also it says for settings in main menu “Einstellung…”. It looks very much that the full word would fit: “Einstellungen”

In music menu the first option (play all) is abbreviated “Alle wiedergeb.”, which makes no sense because there is enough space for the full “Alle wiedergeben”.

While playing a song, when going to its menu the option for deleting that file is called “Löschen Lied”, which makes grammatically no sense. Correct is “Lied löschen”.

In the settings menu, some settings texts use a hyphen (“Musik-Optionen”), while others don’t (“Videooptionen”). It should be consistent, but I don’t know which one of both is the better one.

The menu for audiobook options is not localized at all. “Back to Audio-books” should be “Zurück zur Hörbuchliste”. I don’t know, what “Ch.Mode” means, but if Ch. is short for Chapter, then the german equivalent would be “Kap.Modus”. “Speed” is “Geschwindigkeit”, or if you need something shorter, I would propose “Geschw.”. “Fast”=“Hoch”, “Normal”=“Mittel” and “Slow”=“Niedrig”. “Delete Book” would best be “Hörbuch löschen”.

The loop option in photo options should not be called “Schleifen”, better would be “Wiederholen”.

In the voice menu are the options “Eine Aufnahme wiedergeben” and “Eine Aufnahme löschen”. The “Eine” in front makes the Text uneccessary long. That can just be “Aufnahme wiedergeben” and “Aufnahme löschen”.

The playing now: … text in the main menu at the bottom is “Wiedergabe jetzt: …”. It could just be “Jetzt läuft: …”

I don’t know if I missed anything. It would be really nice if the texts are corrected in some future firmware version.

Message Edited by calv on 11-27-2008 12:31 AM

Calv -

The <Leeg> vs. <Leer> boo-boo has been brought up here a few times before. But I had no idea there were so many mis-translations in the German language version. Sounds like they used a free on-line English > German translator instead of having it translated by someone who actually speaks the language. Are you familiar with the phrase, “You get what you pay for?”

Wonder how many of the other languages are ‘off’ like this? If they are going to offer different languages in their menus as these things are sold all over the world, you’d think they have enough respect for those customers to at least get the language, speech patterns & character set right!

Hopefully someone will take notice and see that corrections are made in a future fireware update. :wink:

Calv - The vs. boo-boo has been brought up here a few times before. But I had no idea there were so many mis-translations in the German language version. Sounds like they used a free on-line English > German translator instead of having it translated by someone who actually speaks the language. Are you familiar with the phrase, “You get what you pay for?”

Wonder how many of the other languages are ‘off’ like this? If they are going to offer different languages in their menus as these things are sold all over the world, you’d think they have enough respect for those customers to at least get the language, speech patterns & character set right! Hopefully someone will take notice and see that corrections are made in a future firmware update. :wink:

@tapeworm wrote:

Calv - The vs. boo-boo has been brought up here a few times before.[…] Are you familiar with the phrase, “You get what you pay for?”

Yes, sure. You’re right about that. But even some lower priced mp3 playes have a better localization to german. But that might be due to the fact, that they sometimes are being made in germany (like TrekStor; could well be that these products only exist in germany: see difference between .com and .de homepage). I just wanted to “challange” the developers, not insult anyone. Sorry about that.

Strictly speaking, not everything that I would change is wrong in the german localization (like “Wiedergabe jetzt” ). But quite a lot.

Thank you Calv for giving this information about the right German translations to Sansa, I hope they will use it wisely for the next firmware update.

I had also noticed the mistakes and unprofessional abbreviations but unfortunately didn’t bother as I have my Fuze on English. Vielen Dank trotzdem.

Gruß von Eberhard alias RREbi

@calv wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

Calv - The vs. boo-boo has been brought up here a few times before.[…] Are you familiar with the phrase, “You get what you pay for?”

Yes, sure. You’re right about that. But even some lower priced mp3 playes have a better localization to german.

No Calv, you mis-understood my point. I was not implying that because it’s an in-expensive player, that you should have to live with mis-translated words and/or phrases. I’m in 100% agreement that out of respect (if nothing else) ALL languages available on the device should be properly spelled, translated from English into the appropriate word or phrase, have all punctuation and accent characters, and correctly read from L > R or R > L as that language is written.

You can bet any amount of Deutschmarks or Euros that if there were a mis-spelled word in the English menus, that it would be fixed PDQ (pretty damm quick) in the next f/w release. I think the same sense of responsibility and urgency ought to apply regardless of the language. How insulting NOT to fix it!

I was attempting (apparently un-sucessfully) to imply that maybe SanDisk used a free (or low-cost) computer translation program to convert the menu commands, rather than haveing an employee (even if it is a contract worker) who is a native speaker of the language in question, properly translate and then also proof-read the results after they are coded into the firmware and make it onto the device. If you’ve ever used one of these, you know they are filled with mistakes.

This is what I meant by getting what you pay for. Not YOU , but SanDisk. Maybe they didn’t spend the money to get proper translations, so they didn’t.

Sorry I wasn’t more clear. :smiley:

whatever. I just hope the changed texts make it in the next firmware

@calv wrote:
whatever. I just hope the changed texts make it in the next firmware

It did! Thanks a lot!