Gapless users only a vocal minority? Apple and Cowon don't think so

Apart form the facts about Apple having gapless playback for some time now that were contained in an earlier post of mine, Cowon has entered the game.

The new S9 beta 2 firmware (the S9 is a flash-based touchscreen interface player with superior format and audio quality support and is available in sizes up to 16Gb)  features gapless support.

Just go check the Cowon America downloads under firmware.

This (and the previous Apple facts) should put to bed the ridiculous statements of a certain poster (who cites wonderfully phantom “industry sources” to back up his nonsense) that gapless is solely the preserve of a vocal minotiry.

If two players, one that owns the lion’s share of the market and the other known as the Rolls Royce of DAP vendors, see fit to include this feature, then it’s mainstream.

Period.

So, are you listening Sandisk?

If I were you I would be …

If you aren’t, there’s a S9 in my immediate future.

And I won’t be alone.

Message Edited by roj on 07-31-2009 10:12 AM

We really didn’t need another thread regarding gapless. 

So don’t read it. :slight_smile:

@roj wrote:

Apart form the facts about Apple having gapless playback for some time now that were contained in an earlier post of mine, Cowon has entered the game.

The new S9 beta 2 firmware (the S9 is a flash-based touchscreen interface player with superior format and audio quality support and is available in sizes up to 16Gb)  features gapless support.

This (and the previous Apple facts) should put to bed the ridiculous statements of a certain poster (who cites wonderfully phantom “industry sources” to back up his nonsense) that gapless is solely the preserve of a vocal minotiry.

If two players, one that owns the lion’s share of the market and the other known as the Rolls Royce of DAP vendors, see fit to include this feature, then it’s mainstream.

Period.

And I won’t be alone.

No they are not… Period   :smileyvery-happy:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@roj wrote:

Period.

And I won’t be alone.

No they are not… Period   :smileyvery-happy:

I’m not a programmer, but I wonder…would gapless have been easier to add as a feature than the ReplayGain support? There seems to be a lot more desire for gapless than there ever was over ReplayGain.

Count me as one of those, Marvin.  I never use the replaygain feature, but naturally would enjoy gapless…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:
Count me as one of those, Marvin.  I never use the replaygain feature, but naturally would enjoy gapless…

I’ve never used the RG either…seemed like a big hassle to go through, especially since when I have used the Fuze it’s generally been listen to one album at a time…RG would be more useful to a “shuffle all” user. It’s irrelevant now though…soon my Fuze will have a new home, and the prospective owner plans to Rockbox it:dizzy_face:. So let’s see folder nav, gapless, and track info on the Clip!  :wink:

They did with ReplayGain - quite useful to many.

How much do they value market share and the profits appellate to it?

"he told two friends the player had gapless… and they each told two friends… and they told two friends… and so on… and so on… and so on… "

It’s a business decision - plain and simple.

Message Edited by roj on 07-31-2009 01:07 PM

Replay Gain, other than reading the tags, is merely a scaling factor for the audio - really simple to implement (much easier than an equaliser). Gapless would be nice though…

What other have done, Sandisk can too.  As I said, the S9 firmware is in beta.  That means that the feature wasn`t there origionally but Cowon, which likely has a much smaller market share than Sandisk, has chosen to allocate the resources to iomplment it.

The fact that the Cowon and iPod have gapless doesn’t prove that most people demand it. Ask the typical user about gapless and they’ll say “Huh?” Most people are technologically ignorant. If it works, that’s all that matters to them. Advanced features like gapless escape their notice until it’s pointed out to them.

So let me get this straight:

You believe that two (not one but TWO, one of whom GREW the market) well-known vendors would allocate expensive resources and time to develope a feature that no one at large knows about and uses just for the heck of it?

I can see you’ve never been within a thousand miles of a business course, let alone a marketing customer study.

Not at all a credible point of view.

Potentially possible.

But not at all credible in today’s market and especially economy.

Cowon’s whole market share is those advanced users who know what gapless is, and it took them years to finally incorporate the feature into one of their players, their current flagship, the S9.

@roj wrote:

You believe that two (not one but TWO, one of whom GREW the market) well-known vendors would allocate expensive resources and time to develope a feature that no one at large knows about and uses just for the heck of it?

I can see you’ve never been within a thousand miles of a business course, let alone a marketing customer study.

Potentially possible.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha…

Just because it’s of massive importance to you, doesn’t mean the rest of the world sees it the same way.  There are a lot of people I know that don’t care too much either way.

Take my wife for example…She isn’t too concerned with gapless, but never liked our fuzes and clips because there wasn’t a dedicated software application (not WMP) that allowed for easy player management.

So, while I appreciate that it’s of major importance to you, many people aren’t that concerned.

Everybody’s needs and wants  with a player are different…

You CLEARLY don’t get it.  If two major vendors did this, it means they did the requisite market studies, customer profule analyses, cost benefit analyses and return on investment analyses and found the scenario to be profitable.

At that point, all your rhetoric becomes, how to put this…

…moot.

Applle’s isn’t.

They do the Great Unwashed.

@roj wrote:

You CLEARLY don’t get it.  If two major vendors did this, it means they did the requisite market studies, customer profule analyses, cost benefit analyses and return on investment analyses and found the scenario to be profitable.

At that point, all your rhetoric becomes, how to put this…

…moot.

Your ranting isn’t going to make Sandisk create a gapless player.  Relax and have a glass of wine…that is if you are of legal age…:wink:

@roj wrote:

Potentially possible.

No, that’s not what I said. I said “most people”. Which brings us back to the “vocal minority”.

And I can see you’ve never been within a thousand miles of accepting that yours isn’t the only viewpoint.

@gwk1967 wrote:

No, that’s not what I said. I said “most people”. Which brings us back to the “vocal minority”.

And I can see you’ve never been within a thousand miles of accepting that yours isn’t the only viewpoint.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

Your ranting isn’t going to make Sandisk create a gapless player.  Relax and have a glass of wine…that is if you are of legal age…:wink:

I agree with you both!:smiley:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@gwk1967 wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

I agree with you both!:smiley:

I agree with you and gwk1967!