SanDisk Guru

Re: Gapless users only a vocal minority? Apple and Cowon don't think so...

[ Edited ]

Right!  As you were...

Carry on, GB!  I love this salute photo, one of my favorites.  Notice something different?  John Young (Apollo 16) is not on the ground, he's making a hop in the middle of this salute photo.  Something tells me he was very happy at this moment.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 08-02-2009 11:35 AM

@JK98 wrote:

The processor on the Fuze might not be powerful enough to handle gapless, especially when transition to files with a different compression type or bitrate than the previous file.

I was under the impression that there is a version of Rockbox which can run on the Fuze, with gapless playback. I've heard that Rockbox on the Fuze is still pretty unstable - so not really suitable for mainstream use, but if it does have gapless playback on the Fuze then I think it can at least serve as a proof of principle. Mind you, I'm not actually sure that Rockbox does have gapless playback on the Fuze yet - maybe someone can confirm this.

SanDisk Guru

@karadoc wrote:

@JK98 wrote:

The processor on the Fuze might not be powerful enough to handle gapless, especially when transition to files with a different compression type or bitrate than the previous file.

I was under the impression that there is a version of Rockbox which can run on the Fuze, with gapless playback. I've heard that Rockbox on the Fuze is still pretty unstable - so not really suitable for mainstream use, but if it does have gapless playback on the Fuze then I think it can at least serve as a proof of principle. Mind you, I'm not actually sure that Rockbox does have gapless playback on the Fuze yet - maybe someone can confirm this.

As far as I know, it's not 100% finished, but more and more people are using it, and apparently it does do gapless.

iPod Touch 5G 32GB, Touch 4G 32GB, Clip Sport 8GB.
Rockbox-> Clip Zip 4GB, iPod Nano 2G 4GB, iPod 5.5G 80GB
2012 Nexus 7 32GB, Asus MeMoPad 8 16+64GB, LG Optimus G Pro, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia Lumia 520

SanDisk Fanatic

I really don't know how the Fuze works, but (and please don't get mad at me for asking this, because some people are a little touchy about the subject) . . .

How hard would it be to implament gapless into the software?

The Saxmaster

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."-Douglas Adams

SanDisk Guru

My new primary player supports gapless, and it definitely is a welcome feature.  I don't know if I would jump off the highest building if it didn't have it....but it is nice nonetheless.

"Before I sink into the big sleep...I want to hear the scream of the Butterfly"
SanDisk Fanatic

I agree.

Let's face facts.... the Fuze is the Kia Spectra of the PMP market... the S9 is the Rolls Royce. The iPod is the Toyota Camry.

You get what you pay for.

So stop whining that just about the cheapest player you could find is missing some high end features.

Buy a Rolls or a Camry.

You most certainly DO get what you pay for.

"You get what you pay for."

I hate that expression! People often get much less than what they pay for. Sometimes a lower priced item IS better.

"So stop whining that just about the cheapest player you could find is missing some high end features."

I wouldn't call gapless a high end feature. It seems to be  a feature that most users don't care about.

SanDisk Fanatic

[ Edited ]

Oh, I agree OCCASIONALLY a lower price item is better. Sometimes. Very occasionally. But more often then not I have been proven wrong on that point.

- Hand tools 

- plumbing fixtures

- tents

- and yes, MP3 players

- shoes

- clothes

Yes, I consider gapless a high end feature because only audio experts, aka audiophiles FOR THE MOST PART, are the ones that clamor for it. And most of the more expensive devices have it.

I also consider OTF playlisting a high end feature simply because the "value player" Fuze doesn't support it and pretty much every device that costs a lot more does.

I notice the one thing you don't disagree with me on is "it is about the cheapest player you can find"... that should tell you something. Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Peregrine on 08-03-2009 02:56 PM

@roj wrote:

No, we own a ton of Fuze's, specifically THREE of them (two 8Gb and one 4Gb).  We also own a Clip (4Gb).

@roj wrote:

My pocketbook is a means to make the market do what I want - as every consumer's pocketbook is.

Your pocketbook has already spoken...four times.

I was on the big iPod forum (ipodlounge) back before they had gapless, and I can tell you: it was a vocal minority there as well. It was iPod owners, of course, with the same argument: that they wouldn't buy an iPod without gapless...but they already had!

Apple implemented it as they implement nearly all features: new players only. If you want gapless, you buy a new iPod. Its not a strategy for supporting existing customers, its a strategy for getting existing customers to buy the same thing twice. Apple is one of the few companies that can do things that are very anti-customer and still be loved by its fan base.

SanDisk User

QFT, As A computer tech I have seen it since i started, they do this with mac and all their other products, in some cases people where able to just copy the features over to older models or hell get an updated driver rather then buy it, yet their fanboi's still clamor for their crappy hardware and software :/