Gapless playback?

I just updated the latest firmware upgrade for the FLAC compatability, and was hoping that the upgrade would also address the gapless playback issue. I have quite a few mixes and live concerts which flow seamlessly from track to track but the Fuze puts about a .25 second pause between each track. It ranges between mildly annoying to being a major buzzkill, especially when listening to tightly-mixed house music, and Grateful  Dead shows.

The only workaround I have to to combine each song into one big file, but then it makes it harder to navigate.

Sandisk people, any chance that you can address this issue in a future upgrade, maybe something in the settings to enable gapless playback? I suppose there may be some people who listen to regular albums with songs and want that pause, so making it configurable would probably be a good idea.

The admins will just ignore this. They ignore everything to do with gapless playback.

We are looking at this. We’re not ignoring you,  just not able to deliver it.  Yet.

Nahh, Nahh! So there!

Nahh, Nahh! So there!

:smileyvery-happy:

We are looking at this. We’re not ignoring you,  just not able to deliver it.  Yet.

Just so you know, this is a big deal … 

My still working Rio Karma manages gapless, flac playback and will fade with controls for out-going and incoming tunes.

It would be seriously nice.

Thank you

Yep I have a Karma thats still working too and gappless is cool.

Thanks.

@sansafix wrote:

Thanks. Looking forward to it–hopefully in the next release.

No way ,  next release is next month.

I think databass is being ironic …

Hello,

I really want to get a fuze but I need it to have gapless playback. I listen to lots of mixes that are cut up in to tracks and to have gaps in between would be very anoying.

Anyone form sandisk want to perhaps hazard a guess if it will be possible to fix it in a firmware?..

Cheerz

Patience grasshopper . . .

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=5279#M5279

@orgonotic wrote:

Hello,

I really want to get a fuze but I need it to have gapless playback. I listen to lots of mixes that are cut up in to tracks and to have gaps in between would be very anoying.

Anyone form sandisk want to perhaps hazard a guess if it will be possible to fix it in a firmware?..

Patience grasshopper . . .

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=5279#M5279

A certain fruity music player only supported gapless in their 5th generation player and version 7 of their software. Oh, and it still doesn’t support FLAC (and, no, rockbox doesn’t count). I’m happy to have FLAC for a start.

I understand it can be quite challenging to implement gapless MP3 playback.  But Vorbis and FLAC both natively support it without any problems, so maybe they could start there and worry about MP3 later.

@skinjob wrote:
I understand it can be quite challenging to implement gapless MP3 playback.  But Vorbis and FLAC both natively support it without any problems, so maybe they could start there and worry about MP3 later.

Hydrogenaudio have quite a good page on the problems of ‘gapless’ MP3 encoding & decoding.

Or for lots of gory detail, try the LAME FAQ (Q4 in particular).

That said, the Fuze doesn’t even manage FLAC gaplessly (although the gap seems much shorter than MP3)

Message Edited by daytona955 on 11-04-2008 03:34 PM

Message Edited by daytona955 on 11-04-2008 03:34 PM

"We are looking at this. We’re not ignoring you,  just not able to deliver it.  Yet. "

—will be AWESOME if you guys pull it off, sansafix.

i’ve noticed an uptick of Sana talk in the DMP market since FLAC arrived.

My wife is giving aerobic courses and has tonnes of aerobic cd’s which i’ve ripped in flac. Unfortunatelly she can’t use the sansa fuze without the gapless function. Imagine gabs between the tracks during the lessons… It breakes the rytm. Without this function the sansa fuze is useless for her.

Message Edited by imoamo on 11-20-2008 01:47 PM

thankyou for the upgrade, I’m currently recommending a fuze to two other people to buy (and upgrade to 16GB). However as yet another Rio Karma owner I’m going to wait for Gapless before jumping. For now I am planning to mod my Karma’s with Sandisc 32Gb CF cards.  

However it is really nice to see innovation back in MP3 players and if you can recreate the capabilites of Karma’s you’ll see a lot of people who care about music heading your way.  

I really look forward to the day when I can help pay your wages :slight_smile:

thankyou again  

I’m good with waiting for a while. Zune’s just got gapless about 7 months ago, and still no FLAC support. It’s good to hear that Sansa is aware of the desire, although they’ll make sure it’s pretty well tuned before releasing. I remember hearing rumors and needs of FLAC/Ogg support back in January (probably prior to that, even) and no implementation until October. So, we could be in for a wait. 

It is really hard to listen to classical music or Pink Floyd albums with gaps, but I’ll be happy with better sound quality over gapless… 

-w-