Gapless playback?

That sounds promising! Are there statements on the Rockbox forum that you can refer to?

Thanx.

**we definately want gapless**

keep working on it sansafix and crew, i know you guys can and will deliver it in due time :slight_smile:

@zonto wrote:
Rockbox should be out for the Clip and Fuze relatively shortly anyway, then it won’t matter.

@gravelhopper wrote:

That sounds promising! Are there statements on the Rockbox forum that you can refer to?

Thanx.

I wouldn’t start holding your breath yet.  They’ve made a lot of progress in the last few weeks, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be able to maintain that pace.  There are still a lot of unknowns and potential technical hurdles.  It’s only a guess, but I’d expect something like 6 months to a year before they have a production ready build.  Could be even longer.

@skinjob wrote:

I wouldn’t start holding your breath yet.  They’ve made a lot of progress in the last few weeks, but that doesn’t mean they’ll be able to maintain that pace.  There are still a lot of unknowns and potential technical hurdles.  It’s only a guess, but I’d expect something like 6 months to a year before they have a production ready build.  Could be even longer.

My thoughts too. About the same time as the Fuze and/or Clip are discontinued by SanDisk to make room for the latest & greatest replacement is probably about the same time as the Rockbox folks will finish the porting to them. :smileyvery-happy:

Ever hear of “Murphy’s Law”?

I have the engineer’s solution for this one.

I am wearing the headphones as much as possible.  In fact, I’m listening to Heinrich Schutz at the moment.

The objective, to make as much expenditure of the service life of this device as possible, necessitating its replacement when gapless is properly implemented.

Ah, now some Janice Weber, Paul Hindemith…(catching up on years of stored classical)…I’ll have this machine all worn out just in time.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Well I know it’s still being developed but this is why I mention that it’s close.  Maybe not, but whatev.

Rockbox on Clip, still buggy he said 

Which model is this?

That’s the Clip I believe which uses basically the same hardware as the Fuze.

@emagon4523 wrote:

**we definately want gapless**

keep working on it sansafix and crew, i know you guys can and will deliver it in due time :slight_smile:

agreed!

New Fuze owner today - sorely disappointed it can’t do gapless :frowning:

Pleased it can do FLAC though :slight_smile:

This is another one of those topics I’ve read about for years, and I find it almost comical that people will say its a “must have”…for a product they already own (that doesn’t support it). 

Maybe just a gapless upgrade specific to flac? or is that crazy?-non engineering type

thanks

@bdb wrote:

This is another one of those topics I’ve read about for years, and I find it almost comical that people will say its a “must have”…for a product they already own (that doesn’t support it). 

I didn’t see any such comical must haves in this thread…

Anyway, as someone noted above it is puzzling why any new player can’t do it off the shelf (esp. with file formats that have native gapless support already).

The Fuze looks pretty neat, however I bought it simply to try it out: FLAC support, sound quality etc If all that is good and there’s a promise of gapless playback from Sansa then I’ll stick with it in the meantime. If not I’ll try another media player :stuck_out_tongue:

I listen to live recordings mainly and gaps are very annoying

@bdb wrote:

…I find it almost comical that people will say its a “must have”…for a product they already own (that doesn’t support it). 

I agree that this is obviously not a “must have” for the person who bought something in a store with little clue as to how it would perform. “Must have” means it must make some sort of noise that resembles music, and have software that can indeed load media onto the product… and have less obvious faults that are not discovered until the packaging is thrown out. I am sure that using packaging that has to be destroyed to release the product helps in the retention of devices with irritating faults as well.

I did return one MP3 player with it’s packaging in shreads (from another company)  because the software on the website did not support the model I had (the website pointed to an older version), and after I found this out and loaded the right version it would still hang in the middle of adding music files.  I never did get to the point of plugging in the headphones. 

Obviously the originator of this thread and myself will keep the product even if there are no further changes to fix the playback issues that we find annoying. We are stuck just as much as those tourists in the restraunt under the Eifel tower who look around after ordering to see only unhappy americans in an obvious tourist trap that serves up bad food to people who will never return no matter what is served up. For us, “must have” features are those that will cause us to recommend the product to a friend the next time they ask or to buy another next year when we want to upgrade our capabilities. This is the fifth MP3 player I have purchased. What brand will be the next one?

Every once in awhile the subject of iPods comes up, and in fact one day I may fork out the 3-4 times larger amount of money to buy one. The reason if I do will not be because they have an inherantly better product - I think the hardware of the Fuze is just as classy. The only reason I would fork over that kind of money would be because I have lost faith that the non-iPod companies have the desire to create a quality product and are in the buisiness for the long haul.

I rip live shows two ways: as a series of individual tracks and as a single long track.

If I want to listen to the whole concert, I play the single rip.

If I want to burn a track to a mix CD, I can pick individual tracks. Because I use Feurio!, I can also burn sequential live tracks without any gap, when needed.

The header information in MP3s and Flacs creates those gaps, and must be a bear to try to work around in a playback device.

I don’t rip I download most of my shows.Is there a way to merge the flac files into one big file that would have the whole show?Thanks

Just to underline the urgent need for gapless replay!

Got myself a 8GB Fuze for Christmas and besides the bothersome lack of gapless play, it works like a dream!

Sound Quality is brillliant with my Shure SE310 inears!..

For me who mostly listens to Classical Music ripped to Flac, the gap-blip is quite anoying,

I don’t really care for MP3’s, but it’s a must for Flac!

/ptr

Message Edited by ptr on 01-08-2009 08:15 PM

So, I read through the thread and saw that gapless playback was being worked on.  But there were no updates.  I really need this.  It’s the one annoying thing that makes digital media inferior to records/CDs.  Please give us an update on the status!

I’ve never considered this feature as URGENT.  Yes, it would be nice to have, but I’m quite content with the fuze as it is.  On those pieces that don’t have natural breaks and the gap interrupts the mood, I simply combine several (as in the old LP album side) tracks together, so there are no pauses in playback.

@slugicide wrote:
So, I read through the thread and saw that gapless playback was being worked on.  But there were no updates.  I really need this.  It’s the one annoying thing that makes digital media inferior to records/CDs.  Please give us an update on the status!

Should be the  next Firmwire, Due out before the end of March

It should be noted that if and/or when they get ‘gapless playback’ to work, it may be as the folks at Rockbox ran into in adding this feature to their firmware. Only .mp3’s ripped with the LAME encoder will play gapless. That means all those .mp3’s ripped in Windows Media Player will NOT play gapless. You may have to re-rip your entire collection with a program that uses the LAME encoder.

Sometimes the answer you get is not the answer you want.