Fuzers WITH Rockbox

@atz wrote:

Narf - You’re an complete and utter Imbecile. Have you had Rockbox on your Fuze? If not, why say random ■■■■ about stuff you don’t even know about? I’m not going to tell my tale all over again because I’ve done it 3 different posts and some people are just stupid.

Seriously, if you haven’t tried Rockbox on Fuze (I’m only refering to version I use) then why say stuff like “there’s 1000 bugs”? I’ve been using it for 2 weeks and I believe I know a whole lot better than you so it’s just pointless to say this. 

I’m not sure why you are so pissed at me. According to the ROCKBOX forum, their Fuze firmware isn’t operational yet. All the bugs I mentioned are from the ROCKBOX forum. 

Thanks for the random name calling. I swear this forum seems to attract *ssh*les like flies to stink. 

Message Edited by narf on 04-25-2009 09:11 PM

Message Edited by narf on 04-25-2009 09:13 PM

Well miltst it is nice to be able to speed up songs with pitch in rockbox

Rockbox has been pretty solid with my fuze. Other than the battery life, usb, and random crashes while playing games, I very much prefer it over the OF.:wink:

@agalloch wrote:
Rockbox has been pretty solid with my fuze. Other than the battery life, usb, and random crashes while playing games, I very much prefer it over the OF.:wink:

See and nothing against anybody who has rockboxed their player or against the people who make rockbox you are all the reason technology progresses,

BUT

To me it seems like, Battery life, USB support, and Not Crashing, are things we want in a player not the other way around. I can not imagine anyone going out and saying I want a USB device that does not have USB support, has minimal battery life, and that crashes randomly while I use it. This is what I dont understand. Even if you dont like the factory firmware, why put a third party firmware on the player that negates the basic selling points of the player? Why do this after Saratoga (A rockbox developer) came on here and said not to? Why not wait until the rockbox people have a stable port for the fuze then test it out? Fill me in… I want to know.

If you would look at it like this… Explain why you made the choice to rockbox your player now… as opposed to waiting.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 04-26-2009 03:07 AM

@conversionbox wrote:

@agalloch wrote:

See and nothing against anybody who has rockboxed their player or against the people who make rockbox you are all the reason technology progresses,

BUT

To me it seems like, Battery life, USB support, and Not Crashing, are things we want in a player not the other way around. I can not imagine anyone going out and saying I want a USB device that does not have USB support, has minimal battery life, and that crashes randomly while I use it. This is what I dont understand. Even if you dont like the factory firmware, why put a third party firmware on the player that negates the basic selling points of the player? Why do this after Saratoga (A rockbox developer) came on here and said not to? Why not wait until the rockbox people have a stable port for the fuze then test it out? Fill me in… I want to know.

If you would look at it like this… Explain why you made the choice to rockbox your player now… as opposed to waiting.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 04-26-2009 03:07 AM

I agree completely. I will most likely give Rockbox a try on my 2 GB Clip once it is officially ready, but given that I do not have the knowledge that the developers have, I’m not going to try something new like that on one of my primary players to begin with. My Fuze and 8GB Clip are my primary players, and will remain “pure” for the foreseeable future. I, too am curious about CB’s ending question.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 04-26-2009 03:24 AM

At the risk of being called names again, I offer a link to the Rockbox TWiki page concerning the Fuze.

Rockbox AMS port

On that page you can follow the progres of the port. If you would like to contribute or just follow the conversations of the developers here is a link to their forum:

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=14064.0. 

As to the current usibility, here is a quote from the Twiki page:

Disclaimer : Rockbox is not in a usable state yet. Unless you know what you’re doing AND interested in getting the port forward by contributing to the project, please reconsider installing the bootloader again, and once more. Even though the bootloader installation is tested, there’s always a fair risk of rendering your device useless. Again: There’s no known recovery method which works on all AMS Sansas. We are not responsible for any damage your device takes during this procedure. Also, bootloader installation has been confirmed to permanently disable DRM support on the e200(to be investigated on other targets).

So, decide for yourself.  Once Rockbox is ready it will be great. On the mature platforms it gives you every option you could think of and alot you couldn’t. 

That’s one “complete and utter Imbecile’s” opinion. 

I rockboxed my fuse cause it is dual boot. not sure how it could brick it when all you do is hold the left button during boot up to get the sandisk firmware to load…playing music hasnt crashed mine yet, and I did notice some games arent playable yet, but for me, when I have downtime or am waiting for something, it is cool to listen to tunes or a podcast while playing some fun old games. I cant wait for an “official” release. Cause if it is this good now, and they say it doesnt work yet, I cant imagine how good it will be when it works!!

Indeed, zorching the UID (for DRM support) is a major issue, I must note.  Patience is a virtue.  I would respect Saratoga’s admonition and wait for the official version.  Having a Sansa that is reliable is far better than pursuing a few possible new features before the project is ready.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 04-27-2009 08:52 AM

Didn’t take long for, to quote Agnew’s speech writer, the nattering nabobs of negativism to roll in.  People who know they don’t want to try or even read about any pre-release rockbox feel somehow compelled to dive into a topic about exactly that just to tell you that you shouldn’t either.

What’s with that?

FOr a real thrill do you go into a bar with placards decrying the evils of drink?  Stand up in church on easter and proclaim the wonders of atheism?

Message Edited by donp on 04-26-2009 03:06 PM

@donp wrote:

Didn’t take long for, to quote Agnew’s speech writer, the nattering nabobs of negativism to roll in.  People who know they don’t want to try or even read about any pre-release rockbox feel somehow comprelled to dive into a topic about exactly that just to tell you that you shouldn’t either.

What’s with that?

FOr a real thrill do you go into a bar with placards decrying the evils of drink?  Stand up in church on easter and proclaim the wonders of atheism?

If you are calling ne negative, you would also have to include the Rockbox developers in that group. I’ve been reading the forums every few days following the developement. It’s their information I’m qouting. There is a still a real possibility of bricking your Fuze. You have to replace the bootloader with theirs, which is still in developement.  I can wait a bit. I’ve still got my other players that have had rockbox in them for years. 

So, feel free to keep reflashing your music players with alpha firmware. It just seems fair that the average user should be made aware of the risks vs the benefits. Sorry if that offends you. 

narf wrote: 

If you are calling ne negative, you would also have to include the Rockbox developers in that group. I’ve been reading the forums every few days following the developement. It’s their information I’m qouting. There is a still a real possibility of bricking your Fuze. You have to replace the bootloader with theirs, which is still in developement.  I can wait a bit. I’ve still got my other players that have had rockbox in them for years. 

I DO agree with you to the extent that this isn’t a great idea for someone who isn’t by nature a little experimental who can deal with things that aren’t 100% succesful.  

My issue is with what has become a regular crowd jumping into a thread with a KNOWN topic and trying to shut it down.  Whether it’s about rockbox, music playing back at the wrong speed, file browsing, gapless playback etc it is generally the same people jumping in saying, essentially, “It doesn’t matter to me, so it shoudn’t matter to you.”

If it doesn’t matter to them, why did they click on the topic in the first place?

@donp wrote:

My issue is with what has become a regular crowd jumping into a thread with a KNOWN topic and trying to shut it down.  Whether it’s about rockbox, music playing back at the wrong speed, file browsing, gapless playback etc it is generally the same people jumping in saying, essentially, “It doesn’t matter to me, so it shoudn’t matter to you.”

If it doesn’t matter to them, why did they click on the topic in the first place?

Huh? Who is trying to shut this thread down? I’ve seen people claiming they have been using experimental firmware on the Fuzes, and I’ve seen people cautioning others against such a practice.

Different opinions certainly, but isn’t that what dicsussion groups and forums are for, to freely share & exchange ideas and thoughts? Everyone has an opinion, and as long as they are a member of this forum, they have a right to voice that opinion here.

There are always going to be risk-takers and those with a more prudent & conservative outlook. That’s just human nature. There’s room here for both, I think.

If someone wants to install Rockbox on their Fuze, knowing that it’s not recommended or endorsed by the Rockbox developers, that’s their own business. But . . . they should also qualify the fact that while it may be working for them, it is not an official release and anyone else wanting to do the same thing does it at their own risk.

Just to say, “I’ve been using this for 2 weeks now, and have had no crashes, all the games work and have experienced no bugs or glitches” is irresponsible. The least one could say is, “Your mileage may vary.” To call someone an Imbecile and stupid for cautioning other readers of the thread about the in-completeness of the Rockbox port for the Fuze at the current moment in time is just plain mean and thoughtless.

The OP (if you go back and read it) asked for [quote] images, videos and impressions, and “work in progress” [un-quote]. Well, we haven’t had any images posted yet in this thread, but there is one in another related thread proving the existance of Rockbox on a Fuze, but we’ve certainly had several ‘impressions’ offered, both pro & con and that makes for a lively and interesting discussion where people on both sides of the fence can learn and benefit from it. The insults and personal attacks are not necessary.

@donp wrote:

Didn’t take long for, to quote Agnew’s speech writer, the nattering nabobs of negativism to roll in.  People who know they don’t want to try or even read about any pre-release rockbox feel somehow compelled to dive into a topic about exactly that just to tell you that you shouldn’t either.

What’s with that?

Message Edited by donp on 04-26-2009 03:06 PM

I quit drinking  a year and a half ago, and I work in a bar, and I have never told anyone they shouldn’t drink…quite the contrary, I still recommend things that people haven’t tried before :stuck_out_tongue:

Tapeworm wrote: 

The OP (if you go back and read it) asked for [quote] images, videos and impressions, and “work in progress” [un-quote]. 

Since you are quoting the OP, the whole sentence requested such from " Fuze users with Rockbox" and I am eager to read those people’s experiences with Rockbox on their Fuze, positive or negative.  

As an analogy, if I go to a presentation on someone’s climb of the Matterhorn, I don’t want the majority of stage time going to people who don’t climb mountains warning me that it’s steep and there may be slippery spots.

@donp wrote:

Tapeworm wrote: 

The OP (if you go back and read it) asked for [quote] images, videos and impressions, and “work in progress” [un-quote]. 

Since you are quoting the OP, the whole sentence requested such from " Fuze users with Rockbox" and I am eager to read those people’s experiences with Rockbox on their Fuze, positive or negative.  

As an analogy, if I go to a presentation on someone’s climb of the Matterhorn, I don’t want the majority of stage time going to people who don’t climb mountains warning me that it’s steep and there may be slippery spots.

I was confused why this thread was started in the first place, as there was already a Rockbox thread, with pictures, and I believe a link to a video, and certainly impressions from people who were using it.  This thread seems quite redundant to me, and has now degenerated into bickering about who should post in it.

@tenzip wrote:

I was confused why this thread was started in the first place, as there was already a Rockbox thread, with pictures, and I believe a link to a video, and certainly impressions from people who were using it.  This thread seems quite redundant to me, and has now degenerated into bickering about who should post in it.

I agree, but a reply from Saratoga (a Rockbox developer) in the other thread seems very relevant to this discussion:

[Quote] 

As I said we took care to make it difficult to brick the AMS players after the surprising skill users showed at bricking the e200v1 players.  That doesn’t mean you should be encouraging people to use software thats not ready.  It was literally impossible to brick an e200v1 by installing rockbox (they could always be repaired using software tools we provided no matter what the user did).  Users still asked sandisk for replacements because they were too confused or uninformed to fix their mistakes, and sandisk lost money because of us.  We don’t have a proper installer, uninstaller, battery life is very poor, and its kind of crashy.  These problems will hopefully be sorted out shortly, until then its not ready and encouraging people to use the software is a bad idea thats only going to make things worse for the community.  If you weren’t clueless enough to have problems, great, but don’t assume everyone else is.  You’d be amazed how many problems users can have.

[Un-quote]

I think a lot of undesirable people moved into this forum recently.:cry:

I Haven’t open this thread for create fight between users :wink: .

I’m happy for vivacity and the following, but this thread isn’t about be favorable or anti-installation of a software in development.

It’s clear we all know what’s a software in development, rockbox in particular.

Sometimes developing version of some software are generally acceptably stable for almost all users, sometimes not.

Users ever use a developing software at own risk, by own liability and i hope in the basis of their own knowledge.

Please, come back to share impressions of using rockbox, with pics and movies.

I REALLY invite rockbox developers registered in this forums, to share considerations about developing status, making OPEN this too (not only the code :wink: )

and stop to hide under the word “development” :smiley:

P.S. I tihnk the dualboot feature would be nice in the stable version too.

If you are interested in seeing what it looks like and how it will work, why not build the simulator?

See here:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SimpleGuideToCompiling

That way, you can experience the look & feel of Rockbox on a virtual Fuze without putting your physical Fuze at risk.

Then, if you decide you _really_ want to install Rockbox for real (despite all the warnings!), you will at least have some experience of how to work with the build environment, and you are less likely to make mistakes building the real thing.

FTR, I have installed RB on my e260v2, and mostly it sort of works. But I still would not recommend it unless you want to experiment, and you have a player you can do without, and you can take resposibility for your own actions (i.e. don’t RMA your player when you bu99er up the install, or RB crashes & burns it).

Message Edited by daytona955 on 04-27-2009 02:58 AM

i do not have any videos or pictures, but i can tell you my experience. I recently put rockbox onto my 4gb sansa fuze. i used to have it on my e250, but that broke, so i got a fuze (last july) knowing they would probably port rockbox to it (because they have many sansa ports). ive waited patiently for many months for it to be usable…finally is. it isnt official yet, but if you can find a prebuilt ‘fuzeA.bin’ file and the ‘.rockbox’ folder, its pretty simple. i put my sansa into msc mode, extracted .rockbox to it, then pasted fuzea.bin into it. unplugged, updated…and i had rockbox after almost a year of waiting. woot!!! I AM A CASUAL USER THAT DID SOME TINKERING…BUT I DO HAVE A BASIC KNOWLEDGE ON HOW TO DO THINGS. so far i havn’t noticed many problems. but heres the list: light around buttons flashes sometimes, it takes a few seconds to first load a song when you select it, the buttons are confusing at first, but use it for 20 minutes and you get it. i’m not sure what video format it uses, but since it has dual boot, i just boot in OF to watch videos. it has worked great for me, and i am going to put some roms onto it so i can play gameboy games (using rockboy emulator). ps. i have an 8gb sdhc card, and it can play the files from there perfectly. for those of you that have rockbox on your sansa players, but do not know how to boot into the original firmware, heres how. HOLD DOWN LEFT BUTTON |<< AND THEN TURN ON YOUR PLAYER, WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON. IT SHOULD NOW COME UP WITH THE NORMAL START UP SCREEN…YOU ARE NOW IN ORIGINAL FIRMWARE. sorry for the sloppy structure of my post, but i guess you cannot skip lines in your post.

Message Edited by c_j_connor on 05-31-2009 04:10 PM

Message Edited by c_j_connor on 05-31-2009 04:14 PM