Fuze won't find files without filename extension?

Hi all

Due to a problem in Amarok, I managed to load some music on my Fuze that did not have either .mp3 or .ogg extensions on the filenames.

This makes it invisible to the Fuze.

I have to say that I find that a bit strange as all the tags are there in the files, so can someone from Sandisk tell me if the search algorithm only scans for .mp3, .ogg, .flac etc?

--

Brian
SanDisk Guru

Re: Fuze won't find files without filename extension?

This is a user board, SanDisk checks in every so often.

But it seems likely that the Fuze searches by file extension, yes. Try renaming some of your files. 

Yes, I realise that Sandisk are not here all the time, and I've already renamed the files and they are now recognised.

What I am struggling to understand is whether this is deliberate design, or an accidental side effect.

--

Brian
SanDisk Guru

The essence of simplicity includes picking files for the database filtering them as rapidly as possible.  Hence, the Sansa ignores pdf files, executable files (exe), application specific extensions that are not needed my the device.

The SanDisk machine is also quite useful as a flash drive in either MSC or MTP modes, in addition to being a music device.  Thus, I don't see it as an oversight, but a design parameter.  No need to bother with those files while doing its routine "database refresh", a point of obvious contention with the average user. 

Making normal operational tasks as rapid as possible is the goal, and filtering out files, via the file extension, is a great way to do it.  Interesting find, incidentally.  I hadn't given it much thought.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy

SanDisk User

I assume however that if you navigate to those files through the Folders menu on the Fuze that you will be able to see them then, and possibly play them.
SanDisk Fanatic

@qualityaudio wrote:
I assume however that if you navigate to those files through the Folders menu on the Fuze that you will be able to see them then, and possibly play them.

I'm afraid, you wont see them. The folder and file browsing on the Fuze is much different from a normal file manager (Windows explorer and alike). As noted earlier the device scans the FAT during the "database refresh" for files of known types. This is obviously done by checking file extensions as mentioned earlier. It keeps record of these accepted files only. Moreover it remembers a folder name only in case it contains any valid files. That means i.e. it will not even offer to the user a folder which contains txt files only.

I too believe this is done on purpose and I think is indeed a good idea for an mp3 player. On the other hand it would be nice to have more precise information right from the manufacturers side ...

Check by yourself to see what really the folder browsing feature is about.

Was there a reason the files didn't have extensions, out of interest?
SanDisk Guru

@ewelot wrote:

@qualityaudio wrote:

I'm afraid, you wont see them. The folder and file browsing on the Fuze is much different from a normal file manager (Windows explorer and alike). As noted earlier the device scans the FAT during the "database refresh" for files of known types. This is obviously done by checking file extensions as mentioned earlier. It keeps record of these accepted files only. Moreover it remembers a folder name only in case it contains any valid files. That means i.e. it will not even offer to the user a folder which contains txt files only.

I too believe this is done on purpose and I think is indeed a good idea for an mp3 player. On the other hand it would be nice to have more precise information right from the manufacturers side ...

Check by yourself to see what really the folder browsing feature is about.

There's no purpose for the fuze to show a folder that contains files it cannot read.  Displaying those folders will only clutter up the menu and be useless.

SanDisk Guru

@Fenrir wrote:

I have to say that I find that a bit strange as all the tags are there in the files, so can someone from Sandisk tell me if the search algorithm only scans for .mp3, .ogg, .flac etc?

Theres no real good way to implement this.  Without knowing the file tag its extremely difficult to determine what format a file is in, particularly for MP3, which need not have any tags at all.  Not to mention iteratively trying each file parser on every file in your DAP would take hours to refresh the database.

SanDisk User

mags1230 wrote: 

There's no purpose for the fuze to show a folder that contains files it cannot read.  Displaying those folders will only clutter up the menu and be useless.

Had to test this for myself and you're right. Makes total sense too.