Fuze won't find files without filename extension?

@ewelot wrote:

@saratoga wrote:

@fenrir wrote:

I have to say that I find that a bit strange as all the tags are there in the files, so can someone from Sandisk tell me if the search algorithm only scans for .mp3, .ogg, .flac etc?

Theres no real good way to implement this.   Without knowing the file tag its extremely difficult to determine what format a file is in, particularly for MP3 , which need not have any tags at all.  Not to mention iteratively trying each file parser on every file in your DAP would take hours to refresh the database.

I don’t agree on that. It is possible to determine almost any file type out there by evaluating the first few bytes (their “magic numbers” ). Check this page for a good list of matches. I know it is hard to imagine - especially for windows users (and programmers) :wink:

I think you should look more carefully at your link.  The “magic number” is the ID3v2 tag header.  If you tried to use such a naive approach any file without an ID3v2 tag would not show up as an MP3.  Looking at my collection I have more then a few files that method says aren’t MP3s but that decode just fine on my Sandisk player.

I know its hard to image - especially for people who aren’t embedded audio programmers - but assuming every file looks exactly like the example file you have means that your software won’t work for anyone but you :slight_smile: