Fuze vs View? / micro SD drains battery life?

Hello!

I am trying to decide on whether to get a fuze or a view. Sound is a priority over video for me and from what I have read, the fuze offers a much better sound quility. The only reason I am considering the view is because of the higher 16 gb memory capacity.  

My other thought was to get an 8 gb fuze and insert an 8 gb micro SD car to match the view’s memory. My only concern is that I have heard that using the micro SD card drains too much battery life away. I am not sure if this is true, and if it is, I would like to know to what extent does the SD drains battery life.

If anyone knows anything about this or if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you!

If sound quality is a major concern, I would go with a fuze or even a clip.  I have both devices (actually 2 of each) and the sound quality is fantastic.  Both of my fuzes have 8GB memory cards installed and I utilize these frequently, and I haven’t noticed a drastic battery drain when using the expanded memory vs. the internal.

Using the internal vs. external memory is only one factor in battery consumption.  The stated average battery life is based on playing 128 kbps mp3 files.  If you use ogg or flac the device will consume more battery.  

I find it to be a non-issue.  In general use with primarily high quality ogg vorbis encoded files, using both the internal and memory expansion, I’m averaging about 19 hrs of usage before my fuzes need a charge.  That is sufficient for my needs.   Yours?  Only you can answer that question.

Thank you very much, your reply was really helpful, I believe I will be getting the fuze + expansion.

I don’t think the card makes a big difference on the battery either…mine is always in. :smiley:

As I understand it, the internal memory is basically the chip from a uSD card, so the battery drain should be the same using internal or external.

Maybe sansafix or someone else who knows for sure can confirm this.

@tenzip wrote:

As I understand it, the internal memory is basically the chip from a uSD card, so the battery drain should be the same using internal or external.

I’m pretty sure they did, at one point, confirm that it was a very slight additional drain.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@tenzip wrote:

I’m pretty sure they did, at one point, confirm that it was a very slight additional drain.

I couldn’t find the thread, but sansfix did indeed confirm that the sd card increases battery drain by a couple percent.  Probably not enough to notice in practice.  I’ve had an 8GB card in for about a month and have not noticed any significant difference.

I remember reports of reduced battery run time with the combination of the View and µSD mounted.

I run with a µSD card in both the e280v2 and Fuze, and my run times with either device are wonderful.  There’s a wee bit of overhead reading from the expansion port, but this should be in line with the difference in draw caused by using the EQ or probably even less than the effect of using different codecs, like high bitrates or secure wma.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: