Fuze v2 Broken after firmware update

I just updated my v2 Fuze to the latest firmware (.28 I believe) and now any time the light ring around the wheel is on, the screen is completely blank.  Also, when the screen does come on, it appears to be at or under half brightness even though the setting is maxed out.  I’ve tried doing rollbacks and whatnot for an hour or two and it’s still not fixed.  Do I just have a broken device?  Thanks.

On the few occasions I’ve gotten a white screen, I hold the power switch in the power-on position for as long as it takes, making the Fuze go to a hard reboot. Have you done that yet?

The more detail you post about what you actually do, the less others have to assume about what you did, and the more helpful they can be.

I had the same problem thanks for the info it worked after holding the power

The screen doesn’t turn white.  What happens is that any time the light ring around the dial is lit up, the screen is black.  After pausing a few seconds, the light ring will turn off and the screen will be dimly lit.  The Fuze is usable in this state but it is neither easy nor enjoyable.  I’ve tried resetting it several times and it didn’t fix the problem.

Though I can’t see how updating the firmware wuld cause this behaviour, except coincidentally, try rolling back to the .26 firmwre and see if it clears up. There’s a link to it in the latest .28 firmware post in the stickies at the top of the front page of the Fuze board.

Connect it to the computer and run the Chkdsk Utility then reapply the new firmware. Its possible the firmware got corrupted some how and this could fix it. 

If that doesnt work: 

It might not be the fun or the easy option but try formatting the player then rollback the Firmware. If this seems to fix things then try to update without anything on the player. If you are still ok, then start adding the media back and keep checking it.

If that doesnt work then contact SanDisk Tech Support over the phone and see if they have any other suggestions. They know more tricks sometimes. If they determine there is a defect you can talk to them about your options. 

I have tried updating firmware, rolling back firmware, formatting, and even a ritual involving candles and old PC components (kidding :D), none of which worked.

At battery levels above approximately 20%: when light ring is lit, screen is black.  a few seconds after pressing a button, the light ring will go out and the screen will be very dimly lit.

At battery levels below approximately 20%: the light ring around the dial does not work, but the screen will be constantly lit at about half brightness.  This is the only time that the Fuze is even remotely usable.

I’m assuming there is some sort of battery/power issue with the device and have contacted Sandisk about a replacement.  Hopefully their customer service is good! 

I’m curious. Does the screen display normal brightness when plugged into a power source via the USB cable?

Nazgren wrote:

I have tried updating firmware, rolling back firmware, formatting, and even a ritual involving candles and old PC components (kidding :D), none of which worked.

At battery levels above approximately 20%: when light ring is lit, screen is black.  a few seconds after pressing a button, the light ring will go out and the screen will be very dimly lit.

At battery levels below approximately 20%: the light ring around the dial does not work, but the screen will be constantly lit at about half brightness.  This is the only time that the Fuze is even remotely usable.

I’m assuming there is some sort of battery/power issue with the device and have contacted Sandisk about a replacement.  Hopefully their customer service is good! 

They are very good and they stand by their products. So if there is indeed a problem they will make it right. 

The player doesn’t work with the firmware ending in 26?

No, even when plugged in it still only displays at about half brightness.

I’m not sure of the firmware it shipped with, but when I updated it to the newest (.28 i believe) the problems showed up and nothing I did resolved them.