Fuze pre-sale question

My Sansa Clip died last Friday, and I’m hurting because I listen to podcasts while commuting or any other “down time” that I have.

The things I really liked about it were:

• Deleting a file on the player

• Fast-Forward or Rewind got progressively faster the longer you held the button down

• Podcasts folder

Does the Fuze do all of the above?

Also, what has been the general consensus on the Fuze? Is it more/same/less buggy than the Clip?

I bought a Philips 2GB today at Wal-Mart, but let me tell you: FAIL. Not a bad player per se, but it didn’t meet the three items above that I got so used to. It’s already in the box to be returned to Wally World.

Thanks for your time.

Message Edited by aubreyq on 03-12-2009 08:16 PM

I wont tell you not to buy a Fuze as it has what you are asking. But it is a thread on the Clip forum that the 8 gig clip is on sale at Wal-mart for $49. I would just get another clip.

If you were happy with your Clip, go to Wal-Mart and try to get one of the 8GB Clips for $50.

I went to the larger display Sansas after quickly realizing that navigation would be easier on them (plus I missed the e200).  Navigating about on the Fuze is almost identical to the Clip, with the addition of a different scroll wheel / volume control.

The two devices share the same processor, so the behavior is virtually the same.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Yup, as long as it has the most recent firmware (which you can update yourself) it will meet all your needs. When I bought my Fuze I had intended to buy the clip, but after playing around with the clip I decided that the display was just too small for my ageing eyes to deal with all the time. The real graphic display is way more convenient to use, in my opinion. Other than that, using it will seem real familiar.

When if you have a lot of songs on your Fuze it will hang for a few minutes when you delete a file. Unless I absolutely know I won’t be using it for the next five minutes, I won’t delete a song (and I end up never using the delete function for that reason). If the Clip didn’t do this, you might find it frustrating (I do).

Message Edited by bdb on 03-13-2009 08:38 AM

@marvin_martian wrote:
If you were happy with your Clip, go to Wal-Mart and try to get one of the 8GB Clips for $50.

Provided they’re still on sale. Wasn’t that a month ago? Most retail SALE periods are only 1 week Sun - Sat.

Wal-Mart, of course could be different.

Bottom line? That’s a great price, if you can get it. Otherwise, I’d advise the Fuze with the larger color display. The on-board DELETE function hang-up is suppoded to be fixed iin the next firmware update due out in a couple weeks.

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Provided they’re still on sale. Wasn’t that a month ago? Most retail SALE periods are only 1 week Sun - Sat.

Bottom line? That’s a great price, if you can get it. Otherwise, I’d advise the Fuze with the larger color display. The on-board DELETE function hang-up is suppoded to be fixed iin the next firmware update due out in a couple weeks.

At least in my market (Northern Indiana, USA) the 8GB clips are still on sale at Wal-Mart as of today.  I just picked one up a couple of hours ago. :wink:

I have 2 Fuzes also…

I got the clip to be my main portable device and the fuzes will more than likely stay at home more.  Also, I tend to listen to recorded talk-radio broadcasts or music as I’m falling asleep, and truly think the form factor of the Fuze is a bit better for that application.  You also have to consider if 8GB is going to be enough storage.  The nice thing about the Fuze is it’s expandable memory slot as well.

I don’t think you would go wrong either way, just a question of the small differences between the players…:smiley:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

At least in my market (Northern Indiana, USA) the 8GB clips are still on sale at Wal-Mart as of today.  I just picked one up a couple of hours ago. :wink:

I have 2 Fuzes also…

I got the clip to be my main portable device and the fuzes will more than likely stay at home more.  Also, I tend to listen to recorded talk-radio broadcasts or music as I’m falling asleep, and truly think the form factor of the Fuze is a bit better for that application.  You also have to consider if 8GB is going to be enough storage.  The nice thing about the Fuze is it’s expandable memory slot as well.

I don’t think you would go wrong either way, just a question of the small differences between the players…:smiley:

I love the idea of having both devices (obviously). The only reason I suggested to the OP to stick with what made them happy before is that I don’t want to see someone new having issues with adio/video sync/out of sync, album art, etc, etc. The Clip is brilliant in it’s simplicity…all it needs is the Fuze’s GoList capacity and battery life. I like the expandable Fuze as a home-based device(mine never leaves the house), but on the go, 8GB like my new Clip is enough

It does all the things above your list, but if you use the golist for say podcasts, you can’t add them to the golist as long as they are labeled podcast and are placed in the podcast folder. That bugs me because I use this for mostly podcasts and I like to add three or four shows to my golist for when I am on the road in my car.

I think having two players is not really needed and is a waste of money. The Fuze does everything the Clip does, and more. It’s not very big, and they sell arm bands and have other ways to attach it to yourself if you were to use it to run (which pretty much seems like the only reason to have a clip, so you can clip it to your shirt or whatever while you run) or just keep it in your pocket. It’s easier to navigate too (I can only imagine, having owned an m200, and a Fuze). This is the only place where I have seen people buy multiple MP3 players. I know so many people in real life, and if they have more than one, it’s because their other is outdated and they no longer use it, like I no longer use my m200. Having said this, if the Sansa Tap comes out this year, I’ll probably buy it. And yeah, I’ll probably use my Fuze too. I’m assuming the Tap is a touch screen, and I don’t need a touch screen player in bed. I’d be laying down, and it would be harder to use, plus I could fall asleep and roll over and break it or something.

Message Edited by shenanagins1091 on 03-13-2009 01:56 PM

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I think having two players is not really needed and is a waste of money. The Fuze does everything the Clip does, and more. It’s not very big, and they sell arm bands and have other ways to attach it to yourself if you were to use it to run (which pretty much seems like the only reason to have a clip, so you can clip it to your shirt or whatever while you run) or just keep it in your pocket. It’s easier to navigate too (I can only imagine, having owned an m200, and a Fuze). This is the only place where I have seen people buy multiple MP3 players. I know so many people in real life, and if they have more than one, it’s because their other is outdated and they no longer use it, like I no longer use my m200. Having said this, if the Sansa Tap comes out this year, I’ll probably buy it. And yeah, I’ll probably use my Fuze too. I’m assuming the Tap is a touch screen, and I don’t need a touch screen player in bed. I’d be laying down, and it would be harder to use, plus I could fall asleep and roll over and break it or something.

The OP was looking into replacing a Clip which they liked and went bad. Many of us are suggesting the Clip because not only are thry farmilliar with it already, and because right now you can get an amazing deal on the 8 gig. None of us are knocking the Fuze but rather trying to offer a suggestion as to what will work out best for the OP

Proud Owner of 4 Sansa Products myself.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 03-13-2009 05:24 PM

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Not to get too off-track here, but everybody uses their player(s) differently; that includes how many players they have.  I don’t think it strange or wasteful to have multiple players as they all have different uses in my family.  BTW, I have 3 Sansas now…:smiley:  2 fuzes and a clip.  I intend to use the clip for mobile applications and the Fuzes will primarily stay at home.  I keep one by the night-stand and the other one is usually being used almost constantly by myself or my wife.  I’ve tried out the clip long enough to know that it is going to work out great, and I told my wife to pick another one up so she’ll have one for her car…:smiley:  So shortly we will be a 4 Sansa family!!!

If the original poster doesn’t need video or a cool display, it seems that either the fuze or the clip would serve their needs.  Personally, if it’s either it can’t be a bad decision…

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I think having two players is not really needed and is a waste of money.

Hogwash, I say

I can read, I know it broke. I was referring to other people on this board. Some people feel the need to keep one in their car, one in their room, etc. Just take it with you, if that’s the case. I never really understood that one. The Fuze can be used over the Clip in any situation. If you want to go with the Clip, go ahead, but then don’t get a Fuze as well. One is sufficient to serve a purpose. People are going to complain and disagree like always, but to me it’s a waste of money. The Clip does nothign the Fuze cannot. I don’t watch videos on it, so I could just have a Clip, but the navigation and microSD expansion sold me on the Fuze. As for the view, I’d rather just get an iPod Touch to watch videos on.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Hogwash, I say

Excellent Photo, Marvin!!!   Brilliant minds think alike!!!:smileyvery-happy:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Hogwash, I say

The average person doesn’t do this, you must admit. I don’t see the need for more than one pair of headphones. I have 1 Fuze, 1 pair of JVC Marshmallow Headphones, and a Sillicon Case & Screen Protector coming in the mail soon (ordered off amazon the other day). The only other case of getting a second pair of headphones I can justify is that when I have the marshmallows in, I cannot hear anything around me, so I’d like to get a pair of JVC Gumy headphones so when I’m out with people, I can listen but still here them. Most people use their players at night or when they aren’t doing anything else, they don’t sit their and appreciate music quality and whatever, which is why you have all those headphones I’m guessing. I doubt you walk around with the street with those things on your head. Oh, and if you do, then you aren’t allowed to say you bought the Clip because it’s smaller and more portable. 

Message Edited by shenanagins1091 on 03-13-2009 02:29 PM

Message Edited by shenanagins1091 on 03-13-2009 02:30 PM

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I can read, I know it broke. I was referring to other people on this board. Some people feel the need to keep one in their car, one in their room, etc. Just take it with you, if that’s the case. I never really understood that one. The Fuze can be used over the Clip in any situation. If you want to go with the Clip, go ahead, but then don’t get a Fuze as well. One is sufficient to serve a purpose. People are going to complain and disagree like always, but to me it’s a waste of money. The Clip does nothign the Fuze cannot. I don’t watch videos on it, so I could just have a Clip, but the navigation and microSD expansion sold me on the Fuze. As for the view, I’d rather just get an iPod Touch to watch videos on.

Like I said earlier, everyone uses their device or devices differently.  What works for you may not work for me.  I’m not telling everyone what to do with their player or how many to purchase… that’s a very personal decision that has to be made by the individual.

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Hogwash, I say

The average person doesn’t do this, you must admit. I don’t see the need for more than one pair of headphones. I have 1 Fuze, 1 pair of JVC Marshmallow Headphones, and a Sillicon Case & Screen Protector coming in the mail soon (ordered off amazon the other day). The only other case of getting a second pair of headphones I can justify is that when I have the marshmallows in, I cannot hear anything around me, so I’d like to get a pair of JVC Gumy headphones so when I’m out with people, I can listen but still here them. Most people use their players at night or when they aren’t doing anything else, they don’t sit their and appreciate music quality and whatever, which is why you have all those headphones I’m guessing. I doubt you walk around with the street with those things on your head. Oh, and if you do, then you aren’t allowed to say you bought the Clip because it’s smaller and more portable. 

I think somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today…:smileyvery-happy:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

Hogwash, I say

I think somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed today…:smileyvery-happy:

Not at all. I just think people are too much of a Sansa Fanatic on this site. I’ve never seen a iPod fanatic yet that buys every new model that comes out. Still waiting for that one. :robottongue: