Fuze or Clip+ for my wife?

I received the 2GB Fuze that I bought via amazon for my wife.  It has version 1.01.11A firmware in it.

I converted a song from .wav to .mp3 and loaded it on the Fuze.  It would play a bit and then stop playback.  Once that happened it stopped playback from all songs that already came in the Fuze from the factory.  The only way to allow song playback again is to turn the Fuze off and on.  I tried the conversion at 192 bitrate and 44.1 and 4800 but both conversions have the same stop playback symptoms.  I was using Adobe Audition for the conversion.

So I downloaded a free program called Pazera Audio Extractor that had good reviews on download.cnet.com.  Did the conversion from wav to mp3 using it and that conversion also stopped playing the same way as the Audition conversions.

When the stopage occurs, it stops at the exact same place in each conversion, though it stops at different places in the different conversions.  IOW, the 44.1 conversion could stop playback 5 seconds in while the 4800 conversion could stop 30 seconds in.  But each always stops at the exact same place.

I have not updated the firmware yet since I’m thinking that doing so will prevent me from returning the unit if the problem persists. The song was loaded into the Fuze’s internal memory.  I have not opened the external memory card package yet.

If I update the firmware to the latest version 1.02.26 and the problem persists, is there a way to restore the firmware back to the original 1.01.11A version so I can return the Fuze?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sky