Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

Re: Fuze fails to delete old recordings: Any new solutions?

The recorder in the Fuze is like the eraser that comes on the end of pencil. It will sort of work, but it won't work as well as a good separate one. I tested recording on my Clip+ and Fuze when I first got them. The huge size of the WAV recordings was annoying. The recordings were very noisy if the mic was more than 2 or 3 feet from the speaker's mouth. There is no way to adjust the recording settings on the player. I guess it was meant for holding the player near your mouth and recording memos for yourself, and not any serious recordings of lectures or meetings. Imo it should have either been greatly improved, or left off the player. I feel the same way about video on the Fuze. The Fuze is a very nice audio player, but a horrible recorder and video player.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

@JK98 wrote:

The recorder in the Fuze is like the eraser that comes on the end of pencil. It will sort of work, but it won't work as well as a good separate one. I tested recording on my Clip+ and Fuze when I first got them. The huge size of the WAV recordings was annoying. The recordings were very noisy if the mic was more than 2 or 3 feet from the speaker's mouth. There is no way to adjust the recording settings on the player. I guess it was meant for holding the player near your mouth and recording memos for yourself, and not any serious recordings of lectures or meetings. Imo it should have either been greatly improved, or left off the player. I feel the same way about video on the Fuze. The Fuze is a very nice audio player, but a horrible recorder and video player.

This is exactly correct. It's an "extra little bonus"; it's not desgned or built to take the place of, or be a substitute for a dedicated recorder.

Like any multi-tasker, it does several things OK, but not as good as a product built specifically to do a certain task.

Highlighted
SanDisk Professor

Tape

I have WMP 10.

I use the recorder mainly to record my child.  I've got a large archive of recordings from the time he was an infant.  I'm sure if I had a separate recorder I would not have nearly the amount of recordings that I have.  I can pull the fuze out of my pocket and record very surrepticiously.  Since I often am goofing with the device anyway, he doesn't really notice it much and it allows me to get candid recordings.

Highlighted
SanDisk Guru

It's odd that the device isn't accepting the latest firmware. You should be able to manage the files just fine using MTP mode, especially the resident wav files in the Record folder.

I'd manually select MTP mode and plug in the device.  Then open the Device Manager, locate the Fuze under Portable Device (it will be here even if Windows Explorer does not show it).  Look for the yellow warning triangle of doom next to the listing.  Double click, or right-click, on the fuze, and select uninstall.

Lastly, unplug, then plug in again- windows will reinstall the device, restoring MTP.  Recordings will show in the default MTP mode, as well as the original sample music that was loaded in MTP, if you have any of that remaining.

There are two main situations where the firmware is not accepted, if it is not unzipped (it should be about 15MB), or if it is not placed in the root directory.  This can happen if you inadvertently roll the pointer over a folder when releasing the mouse button.  If in MTP mode, you must expose th root by double clicking on Internal Memory first.

As far as freeze-ups on restart are concerned, do you see the refresh database mask?  Thehe may be something that halts the startup process after booting.  To cure this, format the device first from windows (right click on the device in Windows Explorer), and select format (avoid the Quick option).

Always, after formatting with Windows, unplug and start the device, and use the onboard format command under settings; this will optimize the memory with the proper cluster size.

Test that the firmware has been accepted (it should say Firmware Upgrade In Progress when you disconnect), via Settings > System Settings > Info.

Bob  Smiley Very Happy