Fuze crashes after installing new FW

I am pleased with the new FW for the Fuze and the new functions work well, but unfortunately, my Fuze doesn’t like it very much.

At the moment I have about a hundred of MP3’s on my 2GB Fuze and they all seem to play normally.

However, when I skip some songs the Fuze takes more and more time to start the next song and at some point it just crashes. I have to reset and restart it, and when I’ve done that it keeps refreshing my library for some reason. It also puts my EQ back to normal and changes my time from 24 hour notation to 12 hour notation.

Should I remove all my songs and put them back on my Fuze again and see what happens, or is this a general problem with the new FW?

Same problems here, along with the Fuze not turning on at all sometimes.  Why is that some have had no problems with the new firmware and others do?  I’ve never had any problems with previous upgrades, but this one has really got me frustrated and disappointed.

@hulksmashnow wrote:
  Why is that some have had no problems with the new firmware and others do?  I’ve never had any problems with previous upgrades, but this one has really got me frustrated and disappointed.

I’ve been asking myself that same question Hulk…

@marvin_martian wrote:

@hulksmashnow wrote:
  Why is that some have had no problems with the new firmware and others do?  I’ve never had any problems with previous upgrades, but this one has really got me frustrated and disappointed.

Well, it certainly hasn’t put me off SanDisk or Sansa players, but I do hope this can be fixed, and sooner rather than later.

I would suggest to reformat and reload your player.  The symptom you have described sounds like a FAT issue, but I could be mistaken.  I would use the devices Format Command under System Settings.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

After hanging around here all last night and this morning, it almost seems like the people have major problems with the new firmware fall into one of 2 groups (or both):

A) They have V1 models

B) They have OGG music files

As for the OGG files, one person found that it was being caused by a certain tagging software he used. There a seperate thread about that.

Otherwise, for those that don’t fit in the 2 groups mentioned, most of the other people seem to be having only minor problems.

So this is a known issue. Should I try delete all my songs and put them on again, or doesn’t that work?

If there’s no solution for this as of yet, I will probably go back to 1.0.22…

@battleengine wrote:

So this is a known issue. Should I try delete all my songs and put them on again, or doesn’t that work?

If there’s no solution for this as of yet, I will probably go back to 1.0.22…

It may work. Others have also gone in the Fuze Settings options and had it format itself to clean everything out and then started putting their files back little by little. Sometimes it works, but there are some that still can’t seem to get their Fuze to work with the new firmware. I don’t really have any idea why that is though.

@miltst wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@hulksmashnow wrote:

After hanging around here all last night and this morning, it almost seems like the people have major problems with the new firmware fall into one of 2 groups (or both):

A) They have V1 models

B) They have OGG music files

As for the OGG files, one person found that it was being caused by a certain tagging software he used. There a seperate thread about that.

Otherwise, for those that don’t fit in the 2 groups mentioned, most of the other people seem to be having only minor problems.

I have a V1, but I only have a few albums in Ogg Vorbis. But I’m having no problems :smiley:

I’m putting my songs back on my Fuze right now. Will post an update later to see if it has worked. Thank you for your help so far :slight_smile:

I do have a V1, but no OGG files.  I re-installed the firmware again, and am still having lock-up issues with certain songs on the microSD card.  Should I reformat that?  And do I just use my computer, or another program for reformatting SD?

You should reformat the SD as follows:

Use the computer and connect the Fuze in MSC mode:

CMD> format (SD driveletter): /FS: FAT32 /A:32K

This ensures the right allocation unit is used (32K)

In MTP mode,  just right click the external storage and format

If that does not work,  you should post a link to an offending File and it can be analyzed.

I just updated my Fuze, and it has one mp3 file, and the rest I think is wma. I think mine is a V1, and there has been no problems with the last couple of firmware updates. So, the OGG music files must be conflicting with something in the new firmware update, maybe database?

Feel free to continue this thread, but my problem has been solved! I have formatted all my files and put them back on, and all is fine now.

This has also allowed me to try out the Replay Gain feature, because I used to normalize the volume with MediaMonkey before. It seems to work great, but I might have to tweak some things here and there.

Thank you for all of your quick responses!

@sansafix wrote:

You should reformat the SD as follows:

Use the computer and connect the Fuze in MSC mode:

CMD> format (SD driveletter): /FS: FAT32 /A:32K

This ensures the right allocation unit is used (32K)

In MTP mode,  just right click the external storage and format

If that does not work,  you should post a link to an offending File and it can be analyzed.

I formatted it just as you instructed.  It appears to be just one song on the microSD that causes it to hang, Raisins by Barenaked Ladies, a free download from Ben & Jerry’s website.  Deleting it alleviates the problem right away.  I then bought and downloaded a new copy of the song on Amazon.com and coppied it over.  It played just fine without any hang ups.  I guess I’ll stick with the new firmware for now.

Thanks for your help, sansafix.

All the best.