Fuze bugs that were probably not mentioned before...

1: The volume sometimes increase very high with not reason, without me manually increasing the volume, this is disturbing because it hurts my ears. I noticed that this happens when I turn my fuze ON (just sometimes). In order for me to get the volume to normal I have to wait few seconds or just manually decrease the volume.

^ Is the problem I’m having.

@tacoma wrote:

1: The volume sometimes increase very high with not reason, without me manually increasing the volume, this is disturbing because it hurts my ears. I noticed that this happens when I turn my fuze ON (just sometimes). In order for me to get the volume to normal I have to wait few seconds or just manually decrease the volume.

^ Is the problem I’m having.

Make sure you have the latest firmware, they fixed this issue in it.

Thanks, I’m downloading it now. :]

The sound volume jump problem was fixed in the recent xx.02.26 firmware release. Unfortunately, along with some of the nice new features that got added there are also a few other new bugs that crept into things (non of which are overly serious and will most likely be fixed in a future firmware release).

@miltst wrote:
The sound volume jump problem was fixed in the recent xx.02.26 firmware release. Unfortunately, along with some of the nice new features that got added there are also a few other new bugs that crept into things (non of which are overly serious and will most likely be fixed in a future firmware release).

It seems everytime 1 bug or glitch is fixed, 2 more un-related ones crop up. While this insures job security for the firmware development team, it certainly bodes badly for SanDisk’s reputation and makes my wonder why everyone was in such a ruch to get the last f/w update that they had to flood the previous firmware thread whining about the fact that it was late. The problems appear to out-weigh the ‘enhancements’.

And the fact that it was late suggests that SanDisk was taking extra QA testing time to make sure that everything was working as planned and that this update would not be ‘buggy’. Given the results, I have to ask “Was this even tested at all?”

When plain, old ordinary users like those here on the forum can cite numerous bugs, glitches, and problems within minutes of updating the firmware and confirm that these issues were indeed brought on by the update by ‘back-dating’ the firmware to the previous version and seeing these problems disappear, it seems to me that staffing changes at SanDisk are called for (while there’s still a company to work for)!

@tapeworm wrote:

@miltst wrote:

It seems everytime 1 bug or glitch is fixed, 2 more un-related ones crop up. While this insures job security for the firmware development team, it certainly bodes badly for SanDisk’s reputation and makes my wonder why everyone was in such a ruch to get the last f/w update that they had to flood the previous firmware thread whining about the fact that it was late. The problems appear to out-weigh the ‘enhancements’.

And the fact that it was late suggests that SanDisk was taking extra QA testing time to make sure that everything was working as planned and that this update would not be ‘buggy’. Given the results, I have to ask “Was this even tested at all?”

When plain, old ordinary users like those here on the forum can cite numerous bugs, glitches, and problems within minutes of updating the firmware and confirm that these issues were indeed brought on by the update by ‘back-dating’ the firmware to the previous version and seeing these problems disappear, it seems to me that staffing changes at SanDisk are called for (while there’s still a company to work for)!

Not for me! I think it is a very personal view if you like this or that firmware more. Everything has its pros and cons - especially software. For me, I can listen to my music (mostly mp3 and wav), my audiobooks, fm radio, do recordings, view images, many things in a very comfortable way. And yes, I appreciate folder browsing a lot. I know there are many problems out there, but they don’t drive me cracy - so far. There is no perfect world. Neither am I.

Let’s hope some of the problems with the Fuze get fixed in a next firmware update to make more users of this forum happy as me :wink: !

Tapeworm,

Hello! I have loaded the latest firmware “01.02.26A” in all 3 of our units and so far the only issues “bugs” I have see was the ones Sandisk mentioned in the list of fixes and features that were listed on the original firmware upgrade post. Again for us so far so good!  You do have a point though and I value your opinion. May I ask what firmware your running and if you tried the latest firmware?  We had the v01.01.22A in two unis before this one came out and that did have a few issues… I never loaded the v01.01.15 because of all the bad reviews…  I don’t jump on the wagon to up date to the latest and greatest or newest firmware until I see how it’s been going for others… Thanks again for all the help you offered me over this past year…  George

Tapeworm wrote: 

I don’t know anything about staffing at Sandisk, but based on places I have worked, it could mean that some existng staff changes need to be undone.

@donp wrote:

I don’t know anything about staffing at Sandisk, but based on places I have worked, it could mean that some existng staff changes need to be undone.

Whatever it takes. I just find it hard to understand how these bugs made it through the entire firmware writing process and through the Quality Assurance testing cycle without being discovered, yet when the update is finally released bugs are being reported by people here on the forum on Day 1! SanDisk even took an extra week over the projected release date to insure it was ready!

If I were the head of that development team, or whoever was responsible for releasing this update like this, I would be extremely embarrassed.

Even more so, when you consider the firmware history of Sansa players. This is just another in a long time of players and/or firmware updates reaching the market beofre they are ready for ‘prime-time’. Even SanDisk’s latest offering, the SlotRadio player was introduced just a few weeks ago. Within 4 days of it hitting the market, there was a firmware update posting here on the forum for it!

The ‘Bugs Fixed’ list is extensive; and there are still several ‘Known Issues’ (bugs that didn’t get fixed). And all of this for a brand-new to the market piece of electronics.

Is it too much to ask that firmware updates do what they claim to do, without introducing more bugs to fix in ‘a future update’, in essence dangling a carrot in front of the noses of Sansa owners like the donkey in the harness?

I didn’t have any problems with the new firmware. There are probably people with problems with the new firmware, but to say that it’s full of bugs when many have absolutely no problem is a little too much. Also, I was very surprised to see that Tapeworm posted this.:wink:

One only has to read through the 314 posts of the new firmware thread along with assorted others to realize some (maybe not all) people are having problems with this latest release. 

All I’m saying is that it seems like these bugs could/should be found during the QA testing of the firmware. Maybe it takes a broader testing group, I don’t know. I would be curious to know however, what hardware version these people that are having the problems own though, Rev. 1 or 2. It may make a difference, and could be useful to the SanDisk people.

It should be noted too, that this particular thread was not originally written converning the latest firmware release of 4/08/08. This was bumped out of oblivion by someone a few days ago. The original post & subsequent replies involved firmware from 2 updates ago back in Oct. of last year.

Edit: And I didn’t say the new firmware was ‘full’ of bugs. But . . . given the time involved and the development team’s communication with us here and their obvious focus on it, there shuldn’t be ANY bugs in it.

Message Edited by Tapeworm on 04-26-2009 04:31 PM

Look, no one is perfect. Including the Sansa firmware staff.

There are always problems with new things, it can’t be prevented.

I’m sure if you made your own Mp3 player, tested it for months, then released it, there would be a few problems. If you have so many problems with the firmware and Fuze, why not try another brand?

Bugs, and microbes, more specifically, are the predominant creatures in our planet (in terms of percentage).  It’s virtually impossible to exist without them.

They are most inconvenient in terms of operating systems, of course, but we have to march on.

The Slot Radio player, as most recent devices, has a lead time between manufacture, packaging, and shipping.  Development doesn’t stop while the previously sealed devices are in transit.  Thus, there was an update ready for the initial batch.

Even the Apollo 11 spacecraft received a firmware update in transit to the moon, come to think of it.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point Bob!

I especially like the part about microbes, and Apollo 11.

I don’t like bugs…not at all. Creepy little buggers.:stuck_out_tongue:

@tacoma wrote:

Look, no one is perfect. Including the Sansa firmware staff.

There are always problems with new things, it can’t be prevented.

I’m sure if you made your own Mp3 player, tested it for months, then released it, there would be a few problems. If you have so many problems with the firmware and Fuze, why not try another brand?

This is rich, considering you are the one who resurrected this 6 month-old thread and thus instigated this entire discussion of late.

And no, I don’t have problems with the firmware & Fuze. I was merely pointing out that others have and stated the fact that when some things are fixed, other problems crop up. But firmware developers know this too, and should be prepared to find and fix these new ‘issues’ before releasing an update.

I didn’t start the discussion about bugs and how new ones pop up, I was merely looking for a solution.

@tapeworm wrote:

And no, I don’t have problems with the firmware & Fuze. I was merely pointing out that others have and stated the fact that when some things are fixed, other problems crop up. But firmware developers know this too, and should be prepared to find and fix these new ‘issues’ before releasing an update.

The problem is, as soon as you make something foolproof, somebody comes up with a better fool.

@tenzip wrote:

@tapeworm wrote:

The problem is, as soon as you make something foolproof, somebody comes up with a better fool.

Indeed!

That should be voted for Line of The Year, along with “The Robin Hood In Washington”.:smiley: