Fuze SMC won't convert to SD Card

I’ve got a 4GB micro SD card in my Fuze. I’ve filled up the internal memory with audio and video, so SMC transfers to the internal work fine. SMC sees the SD card, but when I select the card and try to convert a movie onto the card, SMC locks up after 1%. Have tried formatting the card and SMC still sees it, but still won’t write to it.

Is SMC locking up at 1% of the conversion process or after it converts and then is trying to transfer the file to the card?

If the lock up is during conversion then there’s something about the video file that SMC doesn’t like and you’ll need to run it thru some other video converter first (like Any Video Converter) to get into a format that SMC can work with. 

If it’s locking up when it is trying to transfer to the card in the Fuze, then there could be something wrong with the card. Maybe it’s already good stuff on it and there is not enough space left, or it’s not properly formatted.

Was it a brand new card? Brand new cards come pre-formatted and the best thing to do is to have the Fuze turned off, then insert the card, and then turn on the Fuze (you should never insert or remove a card when the device is turned on). It will automatically create a few default folders on the card. 

If you did not do things this was initially then it’s possible that SMC is not seeing the card correctly and you may need to re-format the card to fix things.

Hope this helps.

I may be wrong on this point, but it might help if the player is set to MSC mode in order for SMC to be able to write video files to the card.

@tapeworm wrote:
I may be wrong on this point, but it might help if the player is set to MSC mode in order for SMC to be able to write video files to the card.

I won’t say you are wrong, but I will definately agree that there are far fewer problems when using MSC mode. But, you know how that works out anytime someone gets told to change to one mode or the other… then all the “why can’t I find/see my files” questions start. Just can’t win:cry:

@tapeworm wrote:

Might help, but I always use MTP and I’ve never hadthis particular issue with SMC.

Well, thanks for trying guys. I’ve tried everything here and still no luck.

Tried Auto, MSC and MTP, no difference, still locks up at 1%

Verified the card is empty, even SMC sees it as empty. Put it in my camera and camera can write pics to it, so have to assume the card is good.

Checked info in the settings menu on the Fuze and it sees the card and shows it as empty.

Tried using different USB ports on the computer (direct on the front panel, powered hub). No change.

Tried different movies and formats (MPS, AVI), no change.

It does convert, locks up at 1% during transfer.

Think I’m at the end and need to contact Sansa support.

You ARE first converting your video with another conversion program prior to dumping it in SMC, aren’t you? Despite the fact that none of the Sansa literature advises this, it IS necessary 99% of the time if you want working videos on the player.

Have you tried the back-door approach? You said SMC converts your videos fine as long as they are targets to the player’s internal memory, right?

So, convert and transfer the videos to your player. Verify that they work correctly. Then connect again to your computer & move them from the player to the card via Windows Explorer.

Have you tried the back-door approach? You said SMC converts your videos fine as long as they are targets to the player’s internal memory, right?

So, convert and transfer the videos to your player. Verify that they work correctly. Then connect again to your computer & move them from the player to the card via Windows Explorer.

There’s usually more than one way to skin a cat. :wink:

It’s been a while since I’ve used SMC (I use Any Video Converter now), but I seem to remember that SMC would give the appearance of having locked up, while actually making progress transferring the file.

So you may want to try a small video, and just let it sit for a while, then come back and check to see if the file actually transferred.

Now we’re getting somewhere, transfered a video from internal to the SD card. Took an hour to transfer 560 mb and the tried playing it and it froze during playback. Looks like I may have a bad card.

PromisedPlanet - you said you use Any Video Converter, what do you convert to. I’m using IMTOO to rip from DVD to MP3 or AVI, but have tried dragging and dropping ripped video direct to the Fuze, and Fuze doesn’t see those. Seems you have to go through SMC to get the fuze to see the video.

Actually I don’t have a Fuze, I have a Sansa Connect.  You can probably search this board for the proper video settings for the Fuze, but Any Video Converter Professional actually comes with three preconfigured “Sandisk Sansa” settings, one for WMV, one for AVI, and one for MP4 … it doesn’t distinguish between different models, so maybe they apply to all models.  I use the MP4 setting, which does a video size of 320x240, video bitrate of 512, video framerate of 24, audio bitrate of 64, sample rate of 24000.

@s3nfo wrote:

Now we’re getting somewhere, transfered a video from internal to the SD card. Took an hour to transfer 560 mb and the tried playing it and it froze during playback. Looks like I may have a bad card.

PromisedPlanet - you said you use Any Video Converter, what do you convert to. I’m using IMTOO to rip from DVD to MP3 or AVI, but have tried dragging and dropping ripped video direct to the Fuze, and Fuze doesn’t see those. Seems you have to go through SMC to get the fuze to see the video.

An hour to transfer a 560MB file? That’s way, way too long! You may indeed have a bad card. It’s not a Kingston brand, is it?

The Fuze like AVI files, so it ususally works best to convert to this format first, then SMC should be able to handle the rest.

Yep, even a Class 2 microSDHC card has a write speed of at least 2MB/sec, so a 560MB file should take under 5 minutes.

Unless SMC has radically improved since I tried it (about a year ago, I guess), I’m not sure why people keep talking about using SMC.  Just convert the file with a quality converter like Any Video Converter, then sync or manually copy the file to your Fuze.