Fuze MSC - Playlists

All,

After much search regarding my issues I have found these very general steps several times. However, they are now working.

Steps:

1. Drag files from the Fuze into Winamp’s playlist editor.
  2. Arrange the playlist as desired.
  3. Save the playlist to the Fuze’s MUSIC folder.
  4. If you later want to edit the playlist, drag the m3u file from the Fuze into Winamp’s playlist editor and repeat steps 1-3, overwriting the original m3u on the Fuze.

These steps are NOT working. The problem for me is the steps are too general. For whatever reason when using Winamp (newest version) it copied all my music to the root of the Fuze (current firmware). So these steps were not valid; however one can change the locations to meet the current setup. So I made sure the M3U files were in the root directory. All playlists are empty that I create.

Ideas? 

@avv604 wrote:

All,

After much search regarding my issues I have found these very general steps several times. However, they are now working.

Steps:

4. If you later want to edit the playlist, drag the m3u file from the Fuze into Winamp’s playlist editor and repeat steps 1-3, overwriting the original m3u on the Fuze.

These steps are NOT working. The problem for me is the steps are too general. For whatever reason when using Winamp (newest version) it copied all my music to the root of the Fuze (current firmware). So these steps were not valid; however one can change the locations to meet the current setup. So I made sure the M3U files were in the root directory. All playlists are empty that I create.

Ideas? 

If you look at this post (and maybe you have already), you’ll see that these are far from ‘general steps’. I gave very specific directions to create .m3u playlists using Winamp. And those instructions do not include:

Re-read my post (specifically #4 & #5) and see if that helps you.

@avv604 wrote:

All,

Steps:

Ideas? 

If you look at this post (and maybe you have already), you’ll see that these are far from ‘general steps’. I gave very specific directions to create .m3u playlists using Winamp. And those instructions do not include:

Re-read my post (specifically #4 & #5) and see if that helps you. :smiley:

@avv604 wrote:

All,

Steps:

Ideas? 

Re-read my post (specifically #4 & #5) and see if that helps you. :smiley:

Tapeworm,

Thank you for the post. I have never read that post before. More detailed than the others. And, the most important item, it worked. 

One other question, is there a way to perform the same function from within WinAmp?

@avv604 wrote:

Tapeworm,

Thank you for the post. I have never read that post before. More detailed than the others. And, the most important item, it worked. 

One other question, is there a way to perform the same function from within WinAmp?

Great! I’m glad it worked for you.

Yes, you can do the same thing froom within Winamp as well. Instead of dragging & dropping files from Windows Explorer into Winamp, just set Winamp to read your Fuze’s and/or external card’s drive as your default ‘Library’ instead of your Music folder on your computer. Then you create the new playlist as before and drag the songs you want from the main Winamp pane over to the playlist name.

Piece of cake (or can of corn if you’re from the Midwest). :stuck_out_tongue:

@avv604 wrote:

Tapeworm,

Great! I’m glad it worked for you.

Yes, you can do the same thing froom within Winamp as well. Instead of dragging & dropping files from Windows Explorer into Winamp, just set Winamp to read your Fuze’s and/or external card’s drive as your default ‘Library’ instead of your Music folder on your computer. Then you create the new playlist as before and drag the songs you want from the main Winamp pane over to the playlist name. Conversly, you can also highlight a song, album or artist, right-click it and ‘add to playlist’.

Piece of cake (or can of corn if you’re from the Midwest). :stuck_out_tongue:

This is interesting - can anyone post an example .m3u playlist that references songs on both the internal and micro-sd storage? I’d like to add m3u creation to my playlist app.

D.

Ok, so now none of the playlists are working.

I created the playlists as stated, however, now they are all referencing a drive letter??

Here is my playlist now. 

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:186,Bass 305 - Digital Bass (Ultra Car Mix)
E:\BASS\Bass 305\Digital Bass\09 Digital Bass (Ultra Car Mix).mp3
#EXTINF:219,Bass 305 - Pump Up the Bass (Sub Woofer Movement Version)
E:\BASS\Bass 305\Digital Bass\03 Pump Up the Bass (Sub Woofer Move.mp3
#EXTINF:240,Bass 305 - Base mission 305 (Album Version)
E:\BASS\Bass 305\Bass The Future\11 - Base mission 305 (Album Version).mp3
#EXTINF:229,Boom Tube - Mission Impossible Theme: Bass Impossible
E:\BASS\Bass MTX\Mission Impossible Theme- Bass Impossible.mp3
#EXTINF:266,Boom Tube - Night Rider Theme (Bass Rider Kick The Hydro’s Kit)
E:\BASS\Bass MTX\Night Rider Theme (Bass Rider Kick The Hydro’s Kit).mp3
#EXTINF:255,Bass Mekanik - Bass Mekanik
E:\BASS\Official Usac Bass\03 Bass Mekanik.mp3
#EXTINF:286,Bass Automator - The Beat
E:\BASS\Official Usac Bass\02 The Beat.mp3
#EXTINF:192,Power Supply - Bass Boom Bottom
E:\BASS\Official Usac Bass\Bass Boom Bottom.mp3
#EXTINF:255,Bass Mekanik - Bass Mekanik
E:\BASS\Official Usac Bass\03 - Bass Mekanik.mp3

Before it was just a relative path. What is going on? 

Is there not a program yet that will just do the simple things? :neutral_face:

avv604 wrote: Before it was just a relative path. What is going on? 

Is there not a program yet that will just do the simple things?

Someone wrote a playlist generator called YAPL. Just search the forums for that term. This sounds like the easiest way to create a playlist.

I have successfully used the method described here to create a test playlist for both internal and external. Well, sort of - I bypassed all of the programs he used and did a couple of quick search/replace in notepad.

First I created the empty file test.pla. I put this in my playlists directory on the internal, but it probably doesn’t matter where you put it. Then I renamed the test.m3u files to test.pla.refs. Inside that file, I search/replaced all backslashes for forward slashes, and replaced S: with /mmc:0: and T: with /mmc:1: (S: and T: are my two drives).

Probably the biggest chore was getting rid of the #EXTINF lines. I’m not sure if they were actually a problem; perhaps I could have left them there and they’d have been ignored.

Applying that method, I did yours in about 40 seconds. I make no guarantees that it’ll work, of course! But you can kind of see the process. I use mmc:0, assuming that was your internal flash.

my-tests.pla

(empty its a place holder)

my-tests.pla.refs

/mmc:0:/BASS/Bass 305/Digital Bass/09 Digital Bass (Ultra Car Mix).mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Bass 305/Digital Bass/03 Pump Up the Bass (Sub Woofer Move.mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Bass 305/Bass The Future/11 - Base mission 305 (Album Version).mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Bass MTX/Mission Impossible Theme- Bass Impossible.mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Bass MTX/Night Rider Theme (Bass Rider Kick The Hydro’s Kit).mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Official Usac Bass/03 Bass Mekanik.mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Official Usac Bass/02 The Beat.mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Official Usac Bass/Bass Boom Bottom.mp3
/mmc:0:/BASS/Official Usac Bass/03 - Bass Mekanik.mp3

Edit: also of note, the dotted lines are for file start/finish reference only. Don’t include them in the files.

Message Edited by bdb on 08-03-2009 02:39 PM

@dunny wrote:

This is interesting - can anyone post an example .m3u playlist that references songs on both the internal and micro-sd storage? I’d like to add m3u creation to my playlist app.

D.

Only .pla playlists will read from both memory sources.

.m3u format only works for one or the other.

I have fixed the issue.

I formatted the device again and swapped it to MTP mode. 

Installed MediaMonkey.

BAM! Playlists are working. 

MediaMonkey is not as good with Playlists as Winamp, but so be it. It is working. 

Plus MediaMonkey is wonderful at pulling down album art.

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

@tapeworm wrote:

@dunny wrote:

D.

Only .pla playlists will read from both memory sources.

.m3u format only works for one or the other.

Darn it. Thanks anway, I was kind of thinking that was the case anyhow. It would be nice to be able to create them, but I’ll just stick to being able to import them and convert to .pla.

Cheers,

D.

@avv604 wrote:

All,

Steps:

Ideas? 

Those directions are from one of my posts and I guarantee they work.  Your statement “For whatever reason when using Winamp (newest version) it copied all my music to the root of the Fuze” makes me think you somehow got into Winamp’s portable sync functionality, which is not what the steps are describing.  Following the directions above shouldn’t cause any music files to get copied to your Fuze.  The idea is that you are creating a playlist of files that are already on your Fuze, so there are no files to copy over.

Maybe the term “Playlist Editor” is causing the confusion.  Unfortunately this term is used to describe two different things in Winamp.  What I’m refering to is the current playback list that is normally at the top right corner of Winamp (if you’re using the default Bento skin).  This is the active playback queue.  Drag files from your Fuze into here, then use the Manage Playlists button (one of the small buttons at the bottom of the playlist editor) to save the playlist to the Fuze’s root or Music folder.

There is also playlist managment and editing functionality in the Media Library that is often referred to as the Playlist Editor.  This is what you would use if you want to setup playlist-based syncing, but it’s not what I’m talking about in the directions above.

you could try using doubletwist http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt if you want an easy to use option, I gave it a test, works well on the fuze, prefer it for blackberry tho since its easier then other options i have tried with the verzion blackberrys

Winampis better at playlists? really? I never used Winamp but I thought MM’s playlisting was SO… well… Monkey simple. Create. Drag and drop.

PS did you know you can use Winamp as your player inside Media Monkey? That’s how mine is setup.