Fuze 2GB: 4GB SanDisk MicroSDHC card causing freeze of UI, not recognised in Explorer

Hey folks,

Just bought the Sanze Fuze 2GB and plugged the 4GB Sandisk MicroSDHC card which has serviced my Nokia E51 fantastically, only to have the UI freeze and the card not recognised as even inserted by Windows Explorer! I’m running the latest firmware, and have rebooted the device numerous times. The card is blank, so it’s not trying to update any journals.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Edit: Title to include PMP model

Message Edited by L4t3r4lu5 on 12-27-2008 10:28 AM

I dont think that the Fuze 2gb has an expandable memory to 6gb. Try getting another 2gb MicroSDHC card and return the 4gb one.

Anyone with a 2GB had any issues with expanding memory beyond any arbitrary value? If it’s not expandable, it’s going back! Just means i’ll have to get a 4GB :stuck_out_tongue:

FYI: Revision 1. here.

My cousin had the Fuze 2GB. Think it’s expandable up to 4gb. Which means you should get a 2GB MicroSDHC. If you want to take the risk then, get another 4GB MicroSDHC and see if it works. But hey life is full of risks!

For my Sansa Fuze 4Gb-im going to get a 2gb MicroSDHC card to have a total memory of 6gb. 

Message Edited by metalzoa78 on 12-27-2008 10:45 AM

My friend has a Fuze 2GB and 8GB sandisk MicroSDHC, i did not hear any complain about the MicroSDHC card.

Are you using Sandisk card? I have heard other brand card is not compatible.

@l4t3r4lu5 wrote:

Anyone with a 2GB had any issues with expanding memory beyond any arbitrary value? If it’s not expandable, it’s going back! Just means i’ll have to get a 4GB :stuck_out_tongue:

FYI: Revision 1. here.

Message Edited by kevin02454 on 12-27-2008 10:45 AM

Message Edited by kevin02454 on 12-27-2008 10:47 AM

Aye, it’s a Sandisk card. I suppose it makes commercial sense to limit the ability to expand the memory to cards of equal or less capacity. It does, however, put me off a little. Anyone CONFIRM that this is the case?

I’ve not checked for FLAC and OGG support yet… I guess that if that comes up as false, it’s an iPod with Rockbox firmware on my shopping list.

@kevin02454 wrote:

My friend has a Fuze 2GB and 8GB sandisk MicroSDHC, i did not hear any complain about the MicroSDHC card.

Sorry, my belief was wrong I guess. I think that the Fuze’s memory is expandable to any amount of GB. Just make sure it’s from Sandisk’s company to feel more reliable. I found this website after long minutes of reading, it indicates that you can use any amount of GBs.

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sansa-c240-1-gb-mp3-player-expandable-memory-recertified/q/loc/111/208353408.html

Thanks for your reply metalzoa78, but the unit specified in the link is the C240, not the Fuze 2GB. The firmware and hardware could be totally different.

Brief recap: 2GB Fuze, Latest Firmware [flashed 1800GMT today], Sandisk 4GB MicroSD HC card

Inserting card freezes UI [unfreezes when card ejected, performs queued actions]. Card not recognised in Windows Explorer when inserted into Sanza Fuze player, works fine in Nokia E51 [Windows Explorer, not proprietary software]. Card and player have now been formatted completely, with no improvement.

You can always pay more for less if you are rich.

I love apple products, i just don’t have enough money to follow them.

@l4t3r4lu5 wrote:

Aye, it’s a Sandisk card. I suppose it makes commercial sense to limit the ability to expand the memory to cards of equal or less capacity. It does, however, put me off a little. Anyone CONFIRM that this is the case?

I’ve not checked for FLAC and OGG support yet… I guess that if that comes up as false, it’s an iPod with Rockbox firmware on my shopping list.

@kevin02454 wrote:

@l4t3r4lu5 wrote:

Thanks for your reply metalzoa78, but the unit specified in the link is the C240, not the Fuze 2GB. The firmware and hardware could be totally different.

Brief recap: 2GB Fuze, Latest Firmware [flashed 1800GMT today], Sandisk 4GB MicroSD HC card

Inserting card freezes UI [unfreezes when card ejected, performs queued actions]. Card not recognised in Windows Explorer when inserted into Sanza Fuze player, works fine in Nokia E51 [Windows Explorer, not proprietary software]. Card and player have now been formatted completely, with no improvement.

Try change “USB Mode” to MSC to see what happen.

See, i’m a man easily put off by unscrupulous business practices. If I’m burned once, I don’t go back. I actually wouldn’t buy from Apple or their distributors. I’d rather buy off eBay and avoid Apple Tax all together, and ONLY if the Rockbox firmware allowed Removeable Storage access to the iPod FS.

However, if i’m totally honest, i’d rather have the Fuze. If I need the 4GB, then the 4GB is shall get.

@ kevin02454 wrote:

You can always pay more for less if you are rich.

I love apple products, i just don’t have enough money to follow them.

@kevin02454 wrote:

@l4t3r4lu5 wrote:

Try change “USB Mode” to MSC to see what happen.

USB mode was set to MSC for the firmware update (failed with #1003 error, but succeeded to update manually). I’ll try the other mode to see whether it makes a difference. 

EDIT: MTP mode resulted in no access to internal storage through Explorer (as I understand, this is only for use as an external media player, which is a function I wouldn’t use). No access to expandable memory through either USB mode, either when inserted before attaching to computer, or after. 

More Info:Notjust the UI freezes when the memory card is inserted. The computer also doesn’tpick up that the Fuze has been attached when the card is inserted prior to inserting USB cable. Removing the card resolves the issue.

Message Edited by L4t3r4lu5 on 12-27-2008 11:43 AM

How did you format the card? Try connecting the card to a pc without using the player(in an SD adapter in an SDHC card slot in the pc, or in a USB micro SDHC reader, etc.) and formatting it.

"Make sure you format the card with the 32K cluster size if its FAT 32 format (For > 2 GB cards this is recommended).  This will reduce filesystem overhead and may help the problem.

From command prompt in XP   Format  [driveletter]:  /FS:FAT32  /A:32K

Vista has a drop down which allows you to set the cluster size. "

You could also try formatting it with this.

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

The card may be in some weird format now. The Fuze should have no trouble using a 4 gig micro SDHC card.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=5849&view=by_date_ascending&page=3

"EDIT: MTP mode resulted in no access to internal storage through Explorer (as I understand, this is only for use as an external media player, which is a function I wouldn’t use). No access to expandable memory through either USB mode, either when inserted before attaching to computer, or after. "

Huh? Files added in MTP mode are not seen in the player on the computer when in MSC mode, and those added in MSC mode are not seen on the player in the computer when in MTP mode.

How bizarre! I’ll be honest, I don’t know what MTP and MSC do. All I do know is that i’d use MSC mode, as it allows me access through Windows Explorer to the actual directory structure; Much more at home there than with some media player app.

I’ll try formatting the card in a memory card slot.

@jk98 wrote:

"EDIT: MTP mode resulted in no access to internal storage through Explorer (as I understand, this is only for use as an external media player, which is a function I wouldn’t use). No access to expandable memory through either USB mode, either when inserted before attaching to computer, or after. "

Huh? Files added in MTP mode are not seen in the player on the computer when in MSC mode, and those added in MSC mode are not seen on the player in the computer when in MTP mode.

“How bizarre! I’ll be honest, I don’t know what MTP and MSC do. All I do know is that i’d use MSC mode, as it allows me access through Windows Explorer to the actual directory structure; Much more at home there than with some media player app.”

You don’t have to use a media player program to transfer mp3 music to the player in MTP mode. Copying mp3 files to the player using Windows Explorer or My computer  works in MTP mode or MSC mode. The difference is that to use Windows Media Player with the Fuze the Fuze must be in MTP mode. Also notice that I said mp3 files. MP3 files are never protected. WMA files might be protected, and protected files need to be transferred to the Fuze by a media player that properly deals with the licenses, and the Fuze must be in MTP mode.

@jk98 wrote:

“How bizarre! I’ll be honest, I don’t know what MTP and MSC do. All I do know is that i’d use MSC mode, as it allows me access through Windows Explorer to the actual directory structure; Much more at home there than with some media player app.”

You don’t have to use a media player program to transfer mp3 music to the player in MTP mode. Copying mp3 files to the player using Windows Explorer or My computer  works in MTP mode or MSC mode. The difference is that to use Windows Media Player with the Fuze the Fuze must be in MTP mode. Also notice that I said mp3 files. MP3 files are never protected. WMA files might be protected, and protected files need to be transferred to the Fuze by a media player that properly deals with the licenses, and the Fuze must be in MTP mode.

Thanks for that JK98, I don’t agree with DRM and have no digital media which is DRM protected, so no problem there.

The format with 32k cluster size didn’t help; Same issue (complete freeze until SD card removed).

EDIT: Away from computer now. Please leave any suggestions you can think of for resolving the issue; I’ll try and get hold of another SDHC card in the mean time to try and eliminate that as an issue. Thanks for all your replies this far, you’ve all been a great help!

Message Edited by L4t3r4lu5 on 12-27-2008 12:40 PM

I recently bought a sandisk micro-SD 4GB card and it works well with my Fuze 2GB. I do have the latest firmware installed too.