Fuse Not Starting on Windows XP via VMWare Fusion

Hello, my first post here and I hope someone can help me…

I am trying to use my Sansa Fuse on my iMac OSX 10.4.1. The Fuze is running firmware 1.01.22A. I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP2 through VMWare Fusion. Auto detect USB is the only mode that the Fuze shows up in the Windows bottom device icon with, and gives the option of connecting the Sansa Fuze. However in the hardware list it shows as “mass USB storage device” but with an exclamation mark through it. When I go to device manager it says “this device cannot start” (code 10). When I troubleshoot and have Windows look for driver updates it says no other software will make a difference.

The only thing I can think of is that firmware 1.01.22A is somehow Mac related. I did indeed update the firmware via my Mac from the Sansa website before I decided to run Windows XP on my Mac. If this is the issue, how do I change the firmware on the Fuze without it being recognized inside Windows? Can I update to Windows firmware for the Fuze while in OSX?

Man I’ve been through the proverbial ringer trying to get this critter to work on my Mac, and I am determined to make it work. With a little help from you, if you please! 

VM Wares can be tricky. Can you disable the VM ware and go back to OSX? If you can, try to connect it in OSX. It may be an issue on your Mac. I have the same firmwire and use OSX at school. It works fine for me.

Actually the whole reason I got Windows XP was because of the difficulty I found with running the Fuze on OSX. WAV files would transfer fine but the song names would not, etc.

This is the trial version of VMWare, so maybe I should check to see if any part of the program is disabled. 

I run a VM ware with Vista (Native OS) and Lunix Red hat (Rarely used). And my Fuze wont run with Red Hat, I just disable the VM ware if its on when I want to use my fuze.

So does this mean that I can’t use the Fuze with Windows virtual software on a Mac? 

Im just saying that the Fuze and Red Hat dont like eachother in my VM ware your situation is different. I had my fuze workin and then went to VM ware. Keep trying.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 01-15-2009 12:54 AM

GuyScharf (who posts here quite often) wrote this gude to getting Fuze & Mac working:

http://guyscharf.wordpress.com/mp3-on-macintosh/

Can’t vouch for it  - haven’t got a Mac. But it sounds well researched, and a lot easier than VMWare/Windoze.

Also - if you really mean WAV files are your problem - be aware that WAV fileshave their own [problems](WAV files would transfer fine but the song names would not, etc.)

Though your problem may be with vmware, I had the same problem on a standard windows XP machine.  

When plugged in, the computer wouldn’t recognize the device.  A check of the hardware manager showed a yellow exclimation point beside one of the USB Mass storage device, and looking at the properties, I saw a  Code 10 device cannot start.  

I tried several things, but what finally fixed it was switching the fuse’s USB connection to MSC mode.   Neither auto (default) or MTP mode worked.  

Also, it seems the fuse can be picky when it comes to USB ports.  As mentioned elsewhere on these forums, sometimes the front USB ports of desktops can’t carry as much current as the rear ports and the fuse isn’t able to draw enough current to recharge when plugged into the front ports.  I don’t know if this could cause connectivity problems as well, but it would be worth trying different ports also if you have them.  

USB connections and devices can be a bit flaky.  I have one thumbdrive that works fine, except to get windows to recognize it, I have to plug it in, wait for the “connect sound”, unplug it (wait for the “disconnect sound” ) and plug it back in again.  Then windows “sees” it. :slight_smile:

On an unrelated side issue… to register and reply here I had to go through a bit of trouble.  I’m getting tired of sys admins and unrelastic password requirments.  More than 6 letters, has to have an upper case and a digit, can’t have three letters repeating anywhere in the string, can’t be related to the username…give me a break.  This is a password to post on a message forum, not to protect my bank account.  If there’s a password expiration also, I’ll post until it changes…and won’t be back.

@yesman wrote:

Though your problem may be with vmware, I had the same problem on a standard windows XP machine.  

When plugged in, the computer wouldn’t recognize the device.  A check of the hardware manager showed a yellow exclimation point beside one of the USB Mass storage device, and looking at the properties, I saw a  Code 10 device cannot start.  

I tried several things, but what finally fixed it was switching the fuse’s USB connection to MSC mode.   Neither auto (default) or MTP mode worked.  

Also, it seems the fuse can be picky when it comes to USB ports.  As mentioned elsewhere on these forums, sometimes the front USB ports of desktops can’t carry as much current as the rear ports and the fuse isn’t able to draw enough current to recharge when plugged into the front ports.  I don’t know if this could cause connectivity problems as well, but it would be worth trying different ports also if you have them.  

USB connections and devices can be a bit flaky.  I have one thumbdrive that works fine, except to get windows to recognize it, I have to plug it in, wait for the “connect sound”, unplug it (wait for the “disconnect sound” ) and plug it back in again.  Then windows “sees” it. :slight_smile:

On an unrelated side issue… to register and reply here I had to go through a bit of trouble.  I’m getting tired of sys admins and unrelastic password requirments.  More than 6 letters, has to have an upper case and a digit, can’t have three letters repeating anywhere in the string, can’t be related to the username…give me a break.  This is a password to post on a message forum, not to protect my bank account.  If there’s a password expiration also, I’ll post until it changes…and won’t be back.

With you it seems you either need to install Windows media player 11, or MTP drivers from windows. I am also gonna bet that if you switched to MSC mode it would work

@conversionbox wrote:

@yesman wrote:

With you it seems you either need to install Windows media player 11, or MTP drivers from windows. I am also gonna bet that if you switched to MSC mode it would work

I may try that later.  It worked fine on my Vista laptop (Acer) with the usb auto setting, but the post above was about my office pc (windows xp pro, Dell optiplex).  Switching to MSC mode worked and I’m happy enough with that.  Now that windows recognizes the device, I can drag albums over to the synch list in media player and synch them to the fuze.  I’d really be happy with just dragging and dropping the files to the folders.  I’ll have to (grudgingly) admit that media player makes it easier as it auto-converts the files that aren’t in the expected format before transferring them to the fuze.  Most of my music is WMVs, but the fuze doesn’t like some of the bit rates (I think).  Most of them were ripped from CD using windows media player.

The only disadvantage I’ve seen so far with switching to MSC mode was that I couldn’t see the files/albums I had previously uploaded from the laptop in auto mode. 

I wonder if winamp (also loaded on that pc) has a sync feature?  I’ll have to check.

I  may also fire up unbuntu linux (on the acer laptop) and see what kind of luck I have there (just for the curiousity).  

So far I’m happy with it.  There are several things I really like about it, and a couple of things I don’t, but overall definitely worth the money.

(I should have delayed and got it online from Amazon (right now the 2gb is $43.99), instead of Best Buy (where it was on sale, but was still $55.99).