Freezing at startup help

Sometimes when I start my player it gets stuck on the Sansa logo and resetting it/turning it off and back on doesn’t do anything.

The only way I have found to get it working again is taking out the 16GB SDHC card and putting it back in to trigger the ‘refreshing your media’ screen (which takes at least 10 minutes, I hope its quicker with the new firmware).

Is there a better way to unfreeze it from the logo?

Thank you for any help

I’ve never heard of this problem.

You could try formatting your Fuze and reinstalling the latest firmware on it.  If it’s a firmware issue, that should solve it.  Make sure you backup all your songs before formatting (since it will delete everything from your Fuze).

Or perhaps there’s something wrong with your 16GB external card that freezes up the Fuze.   

There is something on the card that is causeing the player to hang. I would check the tags on you audio files and make sure that the comment area is empty and that there arnt any unneeded punctuations, or funny charicters. Also making sure your firmware is up to date, I would even do a manual update if it is the newest one.

I agree that thes of the audio files on the card could cause the player to hang on startup.  Though the comment area does not need to be empty and what do you mean by “funny” characters?

All my songs have text in the comment line of their ID3v2 tags and a lot of them contain accents and other such characters (as I have a lot of French music).  So neither of those issues should cause any problems. 

@corilof wrote:

I agree that thes of the audio files on the card could cause the player to hang on startup.  Though the comment area does not need to be empty and what do you mean by “funny” characters?

All my songs have text in the comment line of their ID3v2 tags and a lot of them contain accents and other such characters (as I have a lot of French music).  So neither of those issues should cause any problems. 

I have seen where haveing comments with things like $$ and %% and other symbols or languages not supported ny the fuze can cause it to hang. That is also what I mean but “Funny” Characters. And accents could cause probelms if not done properly. I have some spanish music and it has ~ that thing above some of the letters in the name, these caused the player to hang. All I had to do was edit the tag and redo the name and it worked.

@conversionbox wrote:

@corilof wrote:

I have seen where haveing comments with things like $$ and %% and other symbols or languages not supported ny the fuze can cause it to hang. That is also what I mean but “Funny” Characters. And accents could cause probelms if not done properly. I have some spanish music and it has ~ that thing above some of the letters in the name, these caused the player to hang. All I had to do was edit the tag and redo the name and it worked.

Ah good to know.  I did not know the Fuze did not support some of those symbols or accents. 

Thats the funny thing. It does. But for some reason, the way the tags were made by the service I bought them from, was incompatable or something. It was very strange. So when I hear somthing odd like that It leads me to tags.

@conversionbox wrote:
Thats the funny thing. It does. But for some reason, the way the tags were made by the service I bought them from, was incompatable or something. It was very strange. So when I hear somthing odd like that It leads me to tags.

But if it were the tags, wouldn’t the Fuze freeze up everytime he tried to start it?  He says in his post that sometimes it happens.  

Since the tags haven’t changed from one time to another, why would it freeze up some times but not every time?  It more than likely is due to the tags, I just don’t understand why it only happens once and awhile.  Then again, electronics always do weird things randomly that I never understand. 

@corilof wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

But if it were the tags, wouldn’t the Fuze freeze up everytime he tried to start it?  He says in his post that sometimes it happens.  

Since the tags haven’t changed from one time to another, why would it freeze up some times but not every time?  It more than likely is due to the tags, I just don’t understand why it only happens once and awhile.  Then again, electronics always do weird things randomly that I never understand. 

Its on the card. If it works when he pops the card out and then puts it back in, It has to be an issue on the card, the first thing to check would be tags and Firmware. NOW If the card is Kingston, and he has video in it that could be the issue as well.

My firmware is the newest, my SDHC card is SanDisk and all the comments fields on my music tracks are blank.

I dont have any videos on the player atall.

I do have some files with ‘ñ’, ‘ö’ and some other foreign characters in, should I change them to ‘normal’ letters?

@nimicitor wrote:

My firmware is the newest, my SDHC card is SanDisk and all the comments fields on my music tracks are blank.

I do have some files with ‘ñ’, ‘ö’ and some other foreign characters in, should I change them to ‘normal’ letters?

Try changing them and see if it helps. If not then we have a larger issue.

@nimicitor wrote:

Are your tags in ISO or UTF format? I believe those characters are in the UTF character set that the Fuze (and all Sansas) have trouble with.

I would edit those tags substituting the regular letters for those with the accents and change all to ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1 format. MP3TAG can help with this.

When tagging files using MP3TAG,does this marvelous piece of software always tag files in the format Tapeworm mentioned before which is ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1???

Thanks,

SR

@sr_rox wrote:

When tagging files using MP3TAG,does this marvelous piece of software always tag files in the format Tapeworm mentioned before which is ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1???

Thanks,

SR

It is user changeable in the “tools” menu, under options.

My Fuze sometimes freezing in start-up. But, it’s working after I slide up and hold the power button for few seconds to resetting it without have to take out the memory card. It happened so often about 2 months ago. But, suddenly this issue is so seldom to happen recently. Some people have reported this issue in some forums. I think this is a firmware issue.